Bangkok Hotel Help?

Old Nov 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Hotel Help?

Hi! Hubby and I (well, mostly me!) are planning a trip to Thailand next May for 2 weeks. We're hoping to spend three nights in Bangkok and 6 on Samui. I think I'm set on Zazen for our Samui leg but was hoping for some help with Bangkok. (Does this sound good so far?)

We'll be shopping (well, I'LL be shopping!) and seeing the typical sights in our short time. I wouldn't like to spend more than $200 Aussie $$ a night. From what I've read on the forum, the Sukhumvit Road area seems to be a good base. Is that right?

We're looking for a funky hotel. Something either ultra-modern and hip OR traditional Thai. Is that possible?
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM

i am not going t add my two pence in re hotels as i love staying on the river and there are far more experienced than i, but i do LOVE shopping in BKK and i would recommend two guides for you to buy before hand.
Luxe guide and nancy chandlers map both invaluable
Also for a serious shoppers you MUST go to the weekend market at Chatuchak.... i have planned a trip to SE Asia making sure i can be in BKK on a weekend so i can go!
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM

Not at all funky, but my current home away from home, in the Suk area, is Adelphi Suites on Sukhumvit soi 8. It offers either 1-bedroom apartments or 1 bed studios. Both are nice. I always get a delux apartment because I love having the washing machine in the kitchen. (studios don't have it) The location, just about 2 minutes walk, from the escalator UP to the skytrain is the best reason for staying here (besides I like the apartments and the building is only a year old).

If you want funky (and I'm not sure of the price) look at Siam @ Siam Hotel. Definitely funky! And looks fun! I've not stayed there, but I've had a tour of the place. Funky is not for me, but this place might be for you. The location is very close to MBK mall, and also a short walk to Jim Thompson's house, which is a nice tourist spot. The skytrain is only a few minutes away (National Stadium station).

Also, take a look at Majestic Grande, Sukhumvit soi 2. The location is not quite as good as the other two I've mentioned, maybe a 5 minute walk to the STAIRWAY UP to the skytrain (Note stairway, not escalator like at Adelphi)...

A fancier hotel is the Sofitel Grande Sukhumvit. I have stayed here. Very nice! About 5-6 minute walk to the same escalator as Adelphi, going up to Nana skytrain station.

I've also stayed at the Ploenchit Holiday Inn Bangkok. It is an older building, just remodeled a couple of years ago. The skytrain at Ploenchit station is right outside the door.

Hope these suggestions help you.

If you are near a skytrain station, you can easily get to shopping (my favorite thing to do in BKK) and also to the river, for your sight seeing at the Grand Palace, Watt Arun, Watt Pho, klong tour, etc. When you exit the skytrain at Saphan Taksin, just head in the direction of the river and you will see a stand that offers tours of these places, and more.

Enjoy your trip. May is a very HOT time for Bangkok. It will take time for you to get used to the heat and humidity (depending on where you live in OZ).

Carol
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM

We stayed at the Majestic Grande, Sukhumvit. Great prices, very plesant modern rooms and wonderful breakfast.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM

look at the eugenie for funky....not sure of my spelling..

old bangkok inn for authentic, but location is only so so...

samui: i have eaten at zazen and it is fabulous, but the accomodations are less than desirable....along the same strech of beach is the peace resort...much nicer rooms....go for a beachside bungalow....worth the extra $$..

my favorite bkk hotel for that $$ is the marriott resort and spa...

sheraton grande is nice along sukhumvit but a big hotel---easy skytrain entrance...

may is low season so expect bargains...
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM

It's Eugenia. And if you do a search, you'll see the review that I did on it. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM

guen love animal heads...
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Whatever taxidermist that hotel used...must have made a fortune. LOL. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Funky would include Dream Hotel (I think on soi 15?) and Chic Hotel (I think on soi 13?)