Bangkok Hotel Decision & 2 additional questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, after spending 2 hours reading and researching on this forum (and skipping dinner) I believe I have narrowed my hotel choices down to four and am seeking additional input.

This will be my husband and I's first trip to Bangkok and for whatever reason I feel strongly about staying at a River hotel, being in a location convenient to get to the touristy stuff (Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaeo, Wat Pho, Jim Thompson House, etc), and that my husband and I will feel comfortable at - i.e. I don't want to be with only business people or feel like I need to get super dressed up every night for dinner.

All that being said, how do these four hotels compare and which might you recommend for me?
Peninsula
Royal Orchid
Shangri-La
Millennium Hilton

Also, how does one contact Tong and what "tour" would you recommend we do with her? Or should we bother on our first trip and just do the best we can on our own?

And lastly, if I want to go to ONE Mall (yes only one - my husband hates to shop and we don't have all that much time), which one should I go to? I certainly don't like kitsch but I also don't have the big bucks for super high-end designer labels either.
Thanks so much!
-Traveler at Heart
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Stay at The Peninsula
Shop at Siam Paragon Mall
So many people will have Tong's numbers that I won't mention them here

Aloha!
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM

you can get in contact with her here

[email protected]

you can also tell her its your first time in bkk and some of your interests and she can plan a great day for you that will focus on the things you like. you dont have to pick a "pre packaged" tour
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM

I think you are right to choose to stay on the river. We usually do, but last trip we stayed at the Conrad and it was OK (only OK) and we missed the river and riverside breakfast a lot.

We like the Peninsula very much. The rooms are large and very nice, service it tops, pool is great (with good poolside service as well), and we enjoy the outdoor dining options. The have a low season offer of Suite Life, which is two nights in a suite for the price of one. Their Summer Splendor offers are also attractive.

I have tried to like the Shangri-la, as they have some very good rates for when we will be in Bangkok next...but the main hotel is too big and tour groupy for us, and the Krungthep Wing is lovely, seems to be our style, but the price is the same as the Peninsula and Oriental for Krungthep Wing. Watch the room size there, as their best rates are for pretty small rooms. We chose to stick with what we know.

The Hilton...tried to like this one too, as we could stay free with points. But, the rooms are too small and sparsely furnished, their boats are infrequent compared with the Oriental and Peninsula, and we had a just OK stay at the Conrad in BKK last time (and a good room and poor service at the Conrad Tokyo in March), kind of tainting the Hilton name for us.

The Sheraton we have never considered, but others here like the Tower rooms there for their benefits.

You might consider the Oriental, too. They have a Getaway Package rate that is quite good value. It's my understanding that their entry level rooms (superior) are not as good as the Peninsula's entry level (superior) rooms, but the Deluxe rooms are supposed to be nicer than the Pen's and suites at the Oriental are indeed special. We'll be able to compare after August when we will stay at the Peninsula in a Deluxe Suite, and the Oriental in a Garden Wing Deluxe (River Wing Deluxe rooms are almost as big as the Pen's suites, Garden Wing Deluxe are more unique and we liked the duplex style so chose Garden Wing even though they are smaller).

Tong...tourwithtong at yahoo dot com. She will have lots of ideas for you. What you do would depend on how many days you have and what interests you. We've booked her to do merit making/amulet shopping/neighborhoods (Chinatown/Little Saigon and Little India probably) and eating one day, the floating market for eating and the fisherman's village another day, and one more day to visit an orphanage in Kanchanaburi and something yet to be decided. You can certainly ask her to recommend some things for you.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM

I think you'd be happy at any of those hotels. If you opt for the Royal Orchid, stay in the Towers (breakfast, evening cocktails and canapes and free laundry included in the price). Otherwise, while it gives you a full river view, it's not very special. Full disclosure: I've been staying at the Towers of the Royal Orchid since my first trip to Bangkok 20+ years ago.

The Pen is the fave among most people on this board, but it is on the "wrong" side of the river (as is the Hilton) which makes no difference to some people, but others experience it as a barrier. The Shang has the advantage of being right next to the skytrain stop (for the other hotels, you'll take a boat to the skytrain stop).

For shopping , what are you looking for? If it is Arts and Antiques, River City is the place to go. Siam Paragon is new and beautiful.

How much time do you have in Bangkok, and how many days are you staying? It's very easy to do sight seeing on your own, but some people like to have a guide or driver. I'm the independent type and prefer to go on my own.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM

my opinions:

the sheraton is the oldest of the hotels and in my opinion the least desirable....its location is ok and it has a frequent free shuttle boat to the skytrain station....it is next to a very nice mini-mall called the river city....first two floors are tailors and reasonable household items and souveniers.....a good place to shop...i have stayed there only once and did not like it...nothing thai about it...excellent pool (one of the two on site)..hotel is not thai in feeling at all....could be in des moines....

the hilton is directly across the river...it is the newest, having just opened last year....i have toured the rooms and eaten there....food was good but rooms were quite odd in many ways....cheaper rooms may not face the water...

shangri-la is the largest of the hotels...quite huge...it is right next to the skytrain stop....nice pool...fantastic breakfast...decent rooms with thai touches...

peninsula is to die for...ranked by many as one of the best if not the best in SE Asia...fantastic rooms which all face the river....fantastic restaurants....nice pool....great river views....free shuttle to river city and to the skytrain....my personal upscale facorite...the most expensive of the four but worth every cent...

BUT our most favorite and the cheapest of the river hotels of quality is the marriott resort and spa....nice rooms, best pool in bkk....decent restaurants...an oasis away from the fray....free shuttle boat every 15 min to the skytrain...fantastic staff....it is our hotel of choice...

mall---tell us more of what you are looking for...then we can tell you better....paragon is mostly upscale...mbk is cheap and there are tons more....we like river city for some shopping too....you could go there on your own...

Old May 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM

wow--everyone typing at once...
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I would avoid the Millenium. The Peninsula is the most deluxe but on the wrong side of the river -- I find it a very cold hotel. The Shangri-la is the largest and will have a lot of tour groups but is right next to the skytrain. The Royal Orchid is the oldest and probably the least deluxe but I like it if you stay in the Tower Wing which is a very good value. I always stay at the Oriental and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. I love the atmosphere, the warmth and the history -- feels more like a home than a hotel to me.
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Jim Thompson's house is not near the river. It's on the other side of town near National stadium skytrain stop. As for shopping, I'm a shopper, but what kind of things are you shopping for? Bangkok is shopping paradise.

Paragon is the newest mall, however it's pretty high end, yet not totally high end. On the top floor is a huge boutique called, "Exotic Thai" that has various vendors that sell Thai items. I always find something there. There's a Teena Page handbag boutique in the Exotic Thai bazaar that's really good. It's a very beautiful mall. In the basement of the mall there's a huge aquarium. There's even a glass-bottom boat that one can take to look at the fish. Send your husband to the aquarium and then go shopping in the mall on your own. He could easily spend an hour at the aquarium and then one level above it is the huge food court where he could grab a bite...another hour. And there's an internet cafe on the food level if he needs to use the internet. That entire level is devoted to food. He could spend half an hour just walking through the supermarket and looking at all of the exotic items. The supermarket is also on that level...it's massive. When I do my grocery shopping in that supermarket, it takes me half an hour.

You could just meet back at the aquarium after you've finished shopping. Next door to Paragon Mall is Siam Mall and Siam Discovery...attached to each other. Also for Thai items, I like to go to Amarin Plaza at Chitlom skytrain stop. It's a mall never mentioned on this forum, but I've been going there for years. There are quite a few shops that sell very reasonably priced Thai clothing like the Mudmee store. And there are lots of Thai fabric stores. I love Come Thai store on the third floor that sells pieces of ethnic Thai fabrics that make great table runners,tablecloths, decorative items, etc. There are two Mudmee stores in that mall. There is also a smaller branch of Naryaphand Government handcrafts store in that mall. The main branch is across the street from Central World Plaza Mall. Also along the sidewalk to the right of Central World Plaza Mall...if you're facing it...there's a whole sidewalk of vendors that extends past the Indra Hotel and the side streets to the Indra Hotel. You can find some really nice clothing items there at reasonable prices. I think it's called Pratunum market. Some of it's outside and some of it's inside.Happy Travels!
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I still haven't quite decided but I am leaning toward the Peninsula. That or the Royal Orchid. Perhaps I will give my husband the final say.

Shopping - well, this is going to sound crazy, but I didn't know Bangkok was such a shopper's paradise so I didn't even think I would do much of it while I was there. However, I realize that would just be foolish. I would love to buy some clothes, hangbags, fabric. Thanks Guenmai for the skinny on all the Malls. I would love to check out Paragon, River City, Siam Mall, Siam Discovery, and Amarin Plaza but I realize I won't have time for all that.

I will only be in Bangkok 4 nights (plus 2 nights in Phuket - staying at the Twin Palms on Surin beach there.)

I'll let you know what I finally decide and then post my "review" when I get back. Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it and love this forum.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM

As for hotels, it's no secret that I'm not a river person. I'm an in-the-city person...Four Seasons Hotel...all the way. But, I have stayed at three hotels on the river ...Oriental/Pen/Royal Orchid Sheraton (standard room). It's also no secret that I'm neither a Pen fan nor a Royal Orchid Sheraton fan. My vote goes to the Oriental. I don't like being on the so-called wrong side of the river (the Pen) and my standard room at the Royal Orchid Sheraton was absolutely nothing special and I paid almost the same...plus/minus a few dollars as I pay for my room at the Four Seasons and as for comparison...there WAS no comparison. So, if you're narrowing it down to only the Royal Orchid Sheraton, then if you want to be on the "right" side of the river and attached to River City (antiques) mall, then choose the Royal Orchid Sheraton...but it's not close to any skytrain and you're pressed for time. You can take a boat to the skytrain station. If you want more luxury, then choose the Pen...although I'm in agreement with Glorialf about the Pen. But, at the Pen you can cross the river on their boat which will take you to the Saphan Taksin skytrain stop which is the beginning/end of the north/south line. Happy Travels!
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM

The shuttle boat to and from the Pen takes only a few minutes. It's actually a nice break after the hectic pace of Bangkok! I don't consider the Pen to be on the "wrong" side of the river, because the boats are plentiful and the ride is very short. It's just across the river, after all, to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station! I'd stay at the Pen!! And I'm one of the ones who has also stayed at the Oriental. The Pen gets my vote.

As far as shopping goes, guenmai has given you some good ideas. If you have time for only one mall, I'd make it either Paragon (although it is very upscale and expensive IMO.. too high end for my budget) or the Central World Plaza. CWP is huge!! It has a couple of very nice department stores as well as tons of smaller stores. I always find things I like there. You will find a nice Jim Thompson boutique at the Isetan dept store there. JT has lovely silk purse accessory bags that I really like. JT silk handbags are also beautiful, and excellent quality.

As far as other handbags go, there is a Thai brand called Michal Angelo. I have a nice leather purse and two of their zipper style wallets. NICE! I find them in the larger department stores, such as Central and Robinsons. Isetan probably has them as well, as they are a higher priced brand than many, and very unique.

River City was mentioned to you as a possible shopping place along the river. If you want high end antiques, this is a good place to visit. A very good friend has an antique shop there, and he does a good business with collectors. If you are wanting a more "normal" shopping experience (with things you might actually want to buy) I'd do CWP!!

Now, if you want a true Thai mall, then you should go to MBK (Mahboon Krong). But it's probably not your cup of tea...
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Have stayed at both the Pen and the Oriental and I prefer the Pen. Beautiful big Rooms. Staff not quite so impressed with themselves as at the Oriental, and not nearly as many people wandering around.

The ferry to the Oriental Hotel (from the Pen takes about 2 minutes, the ferry to the Taksin Pier (with the Skytrain station) takes the same amount of time from either the Pen or the Oriental.
A taxi from the Pen will take longer to get over the river, but you can avoid that drive by taking the Pen ferry to their lounge on the same side as the Oriental and hailing a cab there.

I do like Lord Jim's restaurat brunch at the Oriental, so even when I stay at the Pen we eat there at least once. Pool food, Fitness center and spa are better at the Pen, IMO. The area directly behind the Oriental is great for walking, but again, you can be there in 2 minutes from the Pen, so the "wrong side" is not really an issue in my mind.

so, my first coice would be the Peninsula, unless I got a better deal at the Oriental.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM

and now I re-read your question, and the Oriental is not one of your choices....ooops!

Of the four you asked about, I'd rule out the Hilton, as it seems to have fewer ferries, so might be more of a "wrong side of the river issue" there.

None of these will require "dressing up" as much as just dressing "nicely" for dinner.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:46 AM

Like Guenmai we are city people, need to be near the sky train. Our experience with River hotels is that I might as well be staying at the Ritz in Atlanta, everyone just like me. We stayed at President Solitaire and loved the eclectic mix of nationalities.

My wife & I liked Emporium Mall(high end)& loved MBK! MBK is truely a Thai experience. The ENTIRE 4th floor is devoted to cell phones - unbelievable. We got lost trying to find the escalator and happened upon our sons who we didn't even know were there.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM

I'd choose the Peninsula, hands down.

It's got fantastic service when you need it, and the place is superb without being in any way stuffy. Several places to choose from for dinner: the indoor/outdoor restaurant has a fantastic buffet, and it's not at all formal or dressy. There's another restaurant on the main floor that's much more romantic.

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:58 AM

A relaxing breakfast with newspaper is a fantastic way to start the day at the Pen. I always sat at a table outside, right beside the river... and I never felt rushed to get out of the way for someone else to sit for their own meal.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Pulley...I also like the Emporium Mall. I'm in it almost daily as when I'm in Bangkok, I live in the Emporium Suites Serviced Apartment building which is attached to the mall. The department store in there is very good as is the Exotic Thai bazaar and other ethnic bazaar. Plus, the Jim Thompson store there is my favorite branch store as it gets items that the other branches don't get. The food courts, supermarket, and other eateries are also fabulous. Happy Travels!
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Though the Penn is on "the wrong side" of the River, it has the better view of the "right side" of the River. Ferry from Penn to foot of the Oriental is about 2/minutes, so you can be on the right side and back as often as you wish. Each room at the Penn is at least a Junior Suite, with a bathroom the size of most other hotel bedrooms. For me wins hands down.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Guenmai, my son's girl friend lives off Soi 12 must be close by. He's off Wireless Road when's he's not there. We stayed at Pres. Solitaire last trip and loved the service apartment. Where would you recommend? CenterPoint? I think we want to be closer to Asoka. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -