Search

Bangkok Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Hotel?

Hi,

I have read through all of the posts on the hotels in Bangkok, and like others am still finding it difficult to make a decision. While i know it comes down to personal preference to a degree, would like to hear your thoughts on the Four Seasons Hotel.

I really like the idea that its close to shopping, as i will just be doing a very short trip with my mum this time and we will prob just focus on shopping! But I also want a really nice luxurious experience, specially because its only the second time my mum has been to bangkok. In terms of quality alone and high standards, what would you say is the best hotel in the shopping area? anyone stayed at the new Millenium Hilton?

Or should i just stay at the Penn or Oriental and sacrifice ease etc. for decadence ... its so hard! Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I used this forum a couple of years ago now, for an amazing trip to Bangkok, Cambodia and Laos, and all your suggestions were so helpful. Last time i went to Bangkok i stayed at the Nai Lert, which was lovely, because it had just been renovated, but maybe not special enough for this trip ...

Hope to hear from you all soon!

C
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM

The Four Seasons is very nice, not quite the same league as the Penn or Oriental, but almost. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and it is one of the most convenient places to stay for shopping.

The Hilton is very nice, but it has had some quality and service issues. Hilton's top trouble-shooter is now managing the place, trying to turn it around. Rumor has it Millenium will pull out when their new property opens on Asoke later this year, and the hotel may be put up for sale if Hilton can't turn it around.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Hello MichaelBKK,

Thanks so much ... Yes, i dont think will go the Hilton, as even the new one here in Sydney was not so good when i booked in. i.e. looks good in a trendy minimalist way, but just didnt quite feel of 5 star quality in terms of bed and room size etc.

Any recommendations on what room to go for if we end up at Four Seasons?

Thanks again,

C
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM

The Four Seasons would be a good idea, I think. Yes, it is a good location for shopping. The Hyatt is also right in the heart of the shopping district (even better location than Four Seasons). Another option in that same location is the Intercontinental. Hyatt and Intercon are right across the street from each other. The skytrain station is right at your doorstep in that location.

Let me know if I should repost my shopping report that lists most of the major places on Sukhumvit and how to get there ...

Carol
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Carol,

Thanks for those tips ... I went to Bangkok in 2005 when Paragon had only just opened, and not all the shops were actually open for business yet. If it isnt a hassle i would appreciate your special 'shopping post'. i did get quite a handle on it when i was there last time, but who knows if i'll remember it all when i get there.

Thanks again,

C
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM

i think the 4 seasons has the most beautiful traditional lobby in bkk....it also has some of the best restaurants....it is the only hotel in bkk, however, that i have had trouble getting a taxi on several occasions...

i think the peninsula would be the superior choice however...it meets all of your needs....it is a wonderful 5 minute boat ride from the skytrain and every room has a full river view...its restaurants are also excellent...

the conrad (a hilton hotel) is also a choice for you in the shopping area.....so is the plaza anthanee and the hyatt that carol mentions...

the rooms at the hilton M are odd...i would not stay there although the public areas are very nice...

as far as shopping is concerned it is scattered all over bkk, so imo it really does not matter where you stay as long as you have access to the skytrain and taxis...
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rhkkmk ... i was just thinking it might have to be the Penn, even though its on the river. The rooms just look the most impressive. in terms of shopping, we will probably just stick to the main department stores as not there for long. Very keen to check out Siam Paragon as last time i was there it was only just open, and a lot of the stores hadnt opened their doors for trading yet.

So, as far as i gather, the boat ride isnt really a hassle, and they run regularly ... then how many stops on the sky train to the big malls, central chitlom, paragon etc? I seem to remember that it was walkable to get to them all, or maybe just a couple of stops on the skytrain,

thanks so much.

C
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM

If you want a hotel near shopping and one that has real charm and personality I would definitely go for the 4 Seasons. I personally prefer the river (but I'm not a shopper) but if I were a shopper and wanted to be well located I would definitely go for the 4 Seasons. In fact if I had to pick between the Penn and 4 Seasons regardless of location I would go with the 4 Seasons -- no competition in my book. But I am in the minority.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:57 PM

C
You are right that the shops are all within pretty easy distance, once you get to the MBK/Siam/Paragon part of the skytrain route.

The shopping is spread out, as Bob says, but there really is a huge portion of it in one main area, near Four Seasons/Hyatt/Intercon. I'm a real shopper in Bangkok! I've taken many notes about malls and stores and written them down in my journals each trip.

Paragon will impress you a lot. DO eat downstairs in the food court! It's all excellent! Take a look at the Exotic Thai store on the 4th floor, near the Paragon dept store "back" entrance. Not the main escalator, but rather back on the far side of the store. Exotic Thai has some really nice things.

HERE IS THE SHOPPING THREAD I POSTED A WHILE BACK:

You asked about a central shopping district. YES, there is one. It's all basically along one street. It begins at the National Stadium skytrain station (the other end of the skytrain line that you would take from the river hotels, by the Pen). MBK (MaboonKrong) is located right at this station. Start at MBK and then it's very easy to walk from mall to mall right along the skytrain route and on the many crosswalks above the Bangkok traffic!

Just across from MBK (diagonally) is Siam Discovery/Siam Center. You will enjoy both of these malls, I think. Both are several floors with shops you don’t find other places. There is a Starbucks if you arrive earlier than the shops are opening. Across the "fountain" area from Siam Center is the Siam Paragon mall. Very upscale. The food court in the basement level is fantastic!! Do give it a try when out shopping. The Exotique Thai store on the 4th floor has some lovely items for souvenirs/gifts. Also, there is a very nice Jim Thompson store on the first floor.

If you leave Siam Paragon, you can either take the skytrain one stop, or walk (easiest to do in my opinion… just use the walkway underneath the skytrain) to the next mall... Central World Plaza. It is on the same side of the street as Siam Discovery/Center/Paragon. Central World mall also has many shops that are not in the other malls. One of my favorites is NaRaYa, for cute cosmetic bags, wallets, purses, made out of fabrics (not silk).

Directly across the street from Central World is a very upscale mall called Gaysorn Plaza (again, same SIDE of the street as all the others). I have never really found much in this mall, although the Thai crafts on the 4th floor are nice. Look BEHIND Gaysorn and you will see the Thai Craft Center (NariPhand). Prices are much better here. If you look in the basement lever, you will find a “market” atmosphere where haggling is expected!!

Now, a little bit further down the street beyond Gaysorn(past the Bangkok Holiday Inn) is a wonderful department store called Central. This one is called Central "ChitLom" because it is connected to, and located at, the ChitLom skytrain station. I always enjoy this department store. One of my favorite hair dressers in Bangkok is in a small beauty shop in a little walkway just past “The Little Kitchen” restaurant. OD does my hair just about every time I’m in Bangkok. He speaks good English and is very kind.

If you take the skytrain a few more stops further down the SAME STREET, you will find the Emporium mall. The Emporium department store gets good reviews. I also like a small restaurant there called Greyhound. The Emporium has a nice selection of shops. Their Jim Thompson Silk store is nice.

Jim Thompson silk is really GORGEOUS stuff!! I'm sure you will fall in love with it. Furnishings, fabrics, scarves, and the most BEAUTIFUL handbags and cosmetic cases EVER. You will find a JT department at Central Chitlom store along with a JT store at many of the better hotels; and there is also a shop located at ZEN department store at Central World Plaza, to name just a few of the places where it can be found. I'd really try to find the time to take a look at JT stuff. Plus, there is a new location at Paragon mall. If you like what you see, you might just venture out to the JT Outlet. It is past the last skytrain stop (On Nut) where you would take a taxi. The outlet is about 4 or 5 floors. There is a lot of fabric, not quite so many clothing and accessories items, although the 4th floor is fun to check out!!

I won't go into the many shopping markets where you haggle over prices and buy things very cheap, although the Weekend Market at Chatuchak is certainly entertaining... although HOT and CROWDED on a Saturday morning. Chatuchak is located at the END of the "other" skytrain line at Mo Chit station. (There are TWO skytrain lines and they intersect at SIAM PARAGON area) Another option for getting to the weekend market is the subway line. If you get off of the subway at the station AFTER the one that is called Chatuchak Park (or something like that), you will exit the subway station directly INSIDE the weekend market! Couldn’t be easier! Taxi back to your hotel if you have lots of bags from a successful day at the weekend market and are laden with goodies! Oh, and there is a new JJ Mall, located just outside the Chatuchak grounds. It’s worth a stop if you go to the market, but otherwise I don’t think I’d make a special trip out here at another time. Just my own opinion.

I believe SuanLum is still going strong. I was just by there not more than 3 weeks ago and it was still in business. I did not stop to shop but it's a fun night bazaar. The Joe Lewis puppet theater is located here, as well as a huge ferris wheel. This market is more pleasant than the weekend market, in my opinion, because it is in the evening when the temp has dropped a bit. Plus, there is a very lively food/entertainment complex where you can sit and relax! The selection is not quite so large as Chatuchak, however. And maybe a little bit more expensive.

Enjoy your trip! Enjoy your shopping adventure in Bangkok!

Carol
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM

you might also want to get a copy of ron krannich's book, the treasurers and pleasurers of thailand and myanmar....cheap on amazon....the perfect book for shoppers...

the penn would be perfect....the boat ride is very very pleasant and the "boat boys" could not be nicer...there is the regular boat to taskim about every 10 minutes all day and into the evening....there is an hourly boat to river city shopping center, across the river next to the sheraton (ugh) and they will drop you at the oriental or the dock for OP Place is you bat your eyelashes at them and ask nicely---50/100 B also helps out a lot on occasion if given privately...

i find the cheapest room to be almost as good as the 2nd level room, but the 2nd level room (grand deluxe) is on the higher floors...suites are spectacular....i find a balcony to be a waste as it is do hot you would never use it....the windows are floor to ceiling, but do not open....they are clean however...bathrooms are to die for....my wife loves the silk lined drawers for your undies...phone and tv in bathroom...all electronic stuff in room and your own fax...dvd...open close drapes without leaving bed....nite lites all around...its very lux at a moderate price....$190-250 for a decent room...you can also use the discount sites for rooms: www.asiarooms.com and www.huahin.20m.com.....i have used both with great success...usually includes breakfasts and tax/service---that alone is 17% of your bill...
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks everybody. after all this effort my mum and i have decided to prolong our stay for another 3 days or so. that will be new years in Bangkok!

i really appreciate all your help, and will be sure to post any exciting finds when i get back,

C x
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Actually what was i thinking 'signing off', i will probably have millions of other annoying questions between now and december!

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:48 AM

C
It's possible that other fodorites will be in BKK at New Years also... Maybe a GTG??? DH, DS and I don't have our tickets yet but are seriously talking about a trip at that time.
From another C... Carol
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

that would be fun! let me know if you get tickets. I must admit i was a little apprehensive about staying for new years because of what happened last new years ... as well as the upgraded warning on the Aust Gov DFAT website ... but tickets are booked now, so am thinking positively and am sure it will all be fine!
x
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM

There are many websites that I always compare the price when I book the accommodations such as expedia.com, hotelsguru.com , travelocity.com, booking.com
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks again everybody. such a wealth of knowledge.

we ended up booking a suite which comes with use of a 'town car' ... just wondering if you think it is worth using or public transport easier. obvioulsy we will be close to the shops etc. so will not have to use transport for that. but what about getting to china town etc.?

Carly
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM

Four Seasons.I agree about the lobby.And they still have afternoon tea in the lobby with a string quartet in the minstrels gallery playing. And it is close to all the best shopping.Paragon and all the co -located shops , is amazing .It is vast but has a really great variety from Prada etc downwards .The Food Hall is excellent. Best range of cufflinks in the dept store I have seen and well priced eg 12 different styles made from lapis lazuli .You can get around easily from Four Seasons .