Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass

Old Feb 4th, 2020, 05:06 PM
kja
Original Poster

If I'm reading the relevant information correctly, I might be able to save a nominal amount -- less than $20 -- by buying a Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass for an upcoming travel to Laos and Cambodia. Are there benefits above and beyond reductions in air fares that I should take into consideration? Or disadvantages?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm posting this on the Air Travel forum, too:

Last edited by kja; Feb 4th, 2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 05:17 PM
kja
Original Poster

Anyone? There's information in the online description of the pass that might make sense to travel agents. I'm not one, and so can't make much sense of it.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 01:42 AM

I think the main advantage is that they are fixed price flights (subject to availability - whatever that means??). I used it several years ago and then it was a lot cheaper than buying regular flights but that may depend on the season etc. May is low season and I think the current Coronavirus outbreak is likely to be limiting demand for flights around Asia, thus reducing fares. I think the pass fares may be more flexible in terms of changes than the lowest class of fare should it be necessary to change plans.

I did have a quick look at the pass as we have a window in between pet sitting projects in late May, early June and Laos is one destination under consideration. For the random flights I checked, the pass would have been about the same cost as regular flights. I agree, the description etc on the website is not clear.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 04:43 PM
kja
Original Poster

@ crellston: thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 12:36 PM
kja
Original Poster

A quick update -- from what I can tell, the advertised prices for various legs covered by the pass do NOT include taxes, and once you count them, the pass might not be as good a deal as it seems. For me, it looks like the individually priced legs will amount to a lower overall cost. It might depend on exactly what flights one plans, but thought I'd post this for anyone who looks at this thread in the future.