Bangkok airport question

Search

Bangkok airport question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok airport question

I have a question for fodorites with detailed knowledge of Asia travel. We will be traveling to Burma, via Bangkok. We arrive in BKK late at night and our Rangoon flight is a separate ticket early the next morning, so we are staying in a BKK airport hotel, Louis Tavern Transit Hotel Dayroom, for those few hours. We think the hotel is within the secured area of the airport. Here is the question. If we check bags, how would that work with the hotel -- i.e. would that mean we'd need to clear customs in order to get to our bags? We are assuming we could probably just transit through with carry-ons, just not sure I can do that for a month of travel and would prefer to check a bag if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 06:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
For purposes of your overnight, bring a change of clothes and the few things you'll need in a small carry-on (day pack or tote) and leave your larger bag checked through. I often leave a bag and go for several days out of a small pack so you should be fine for just an overnight.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Good idea -- thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 11:14 AM

I think the problem is the "separate ticket" issue. if your 2 airlines do not have baggage agreements, you will have to collect your baggage on arrival in bkk, and recheck it the next AM for your onward flt.

this probably would negate you using the transit hotel as well.

I would check with my 1st airline for guidance..
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 03:23 PM

Agree with rhkkmk. It is exceedingly unlikely that you will be able to check your bags through. Therefore what the hotel would do re the bags is irrelevant, even if you could use it.
There are other hotels outside of the transit area that you could use. Although if you are only there for a few hours I wouldn't bother.