Cambodia Itinerary and Hotel help

Feb 1st, 2017, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Cambodia Itinerary and Hotel help

Hi all,
I'm planning my first visit to Cambodia in March for 9 nights. I have flights booked into Phnom Penh and out if Siem Reap but that's it.

I am a woman on my own in my 40's and gave travelled to SE Asia many times. I'm not particularly keen on history or temples but really just like to wander the markets, try the food, meet the locals and take photos. I also want some time to relax by the pool. I do however want to visit the Killing Fields and Angkor Wat probably only 1-2 days of temples will do though)

I'd like to do a few hours - I like quirky things like street food tours, Vespa village tours, wildlife things (but only if reputable)

what I am thinking is this:

Arrive PP midday, spend 3 nights here
Hire a driver to take me to Battambang, 2 nights here.
Driver to Siem Reap, 4 nights here.

Battambang is really an opportunity to see a bit more of Cambodia than the 2 main cities, does anyone have any thoughts on this, is it the best use of my time?

Also hotels:
I would like 4-5 star luxury with a nice pool, but most important is location. I want to be able to walk out to restaurants by myself at night and feel safe.

Phnom Penh - I love the idea of Raffles, and the pool looks great, but the rooms a bit dreary, and I'm not sure about the location?

Battambang - I realize hotels will be simpler here so really a nice central hotel with a pool - any suggestions?

Siem Reap - I really want to relax here (by the pool with a book or practising yoga), and love the look of Anantara or Navutu Dreams , but because I want to walk to restaurants st night I guess I need somewhere more central.
Again looking at Raffles (although very pricey) so am also looking at Shinta Mani resort or the Park Hyatt.

Any thoughts or views on the itinerary, hotel suggestions or different things to do would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Feb 1st, 2017, 03:33 PM

Siem Reap- You are right to be concerned about the Anantara. It is on the main highway to PP, with nothing you'd want to walk to nearby.

The Navutu Dreams is at least in a more residential area, but a long way from restaurants or shops.

The Park Hyatt is on a busy corner at what used to be the dividing line between the tourist district and local business. The tourist things are taking over the area now, but there are still lots of interesting things and places nearby, and you can easily and safely walk to lots of good restaurants at night. I stayed here back before Hyatt renovated. The rooms looked out on the busy cross streets, but it was a peaceful oasis inside. The pool, unless they've changed it was small and somewhat covered, but okay for lounging. YU

You really want to be somewhere between Raffles and the Old Market, on either side of the river if you enjoy strolling. Tuk tuks are only $2 or $3 per ride, so getting around is not difficult and I feel very safe walking or bicycling at any time of the day (or night).
Feb 1st, 2017, 03:53 PM

Have you looked at Residence Belmond. That is where we are staying. The reviews are excellent..I think it is central but not sure. I was deciding between Park Hyatt and Belmond and went with Belmond.
Feb 2nd, 2017, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice. The Belmond looks amazing! I think that and Raffles look great but they're really pricey so will have to figure out my budget.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Phnom Penh Hotels?

Or the Shinta Mani in Siem Reap?

Thanks again
Feb 2nd, 2017, 02:36 PM

Shinta Mani is a good location, looks nice from the outside and is supposedly good to their employees. I've never been inside though.
Feb 5th, 2017, 03:28 PM

take a look at visa hotel signature rates (if you have a visa) and Kiwi Collection..better rates than website for Belmond