Bangkok Air -- Web Purchase Experience?

Sep 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok Air -- Web Purchase Experience?

Greetings,

Have any of you ever purchased airfare from Bangkok Air's website?

I found a wonderful 4-leg itinerary online, which involves a direct flight from Siem Reap to Koh Samui (with one stop, I believe). The prices quoted online were great, too.

When I called 866-BANGKOK to book the flight, the agent suggested I use their Discovery Airpass. However, our SR->KS flight was not available using this package. He suggested an alternative that routed us through Bangkok and took 90 minutes longer. In addition, the total cost using Discovery Airpass was no lower than what I'd found for our itinerary online (including the good SR->KS flight).

At this point, I figured I'd be better simply booking that leg online. When I asked about the online fares, the agent indicated that they were not necessarily valid for U.S. customers, and that the lowest fare he could provide was substantially higher.

Because the agent's explanation didn't make much sense to me, I thought I'd ask the forum whether anyone has booked online with success.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

-DG

PS: For reference, our full itinerary is Bangkok -> Phnom Penh -> Siem Reap -> Koh Samui -> Bangkok.
Sep 7th, 2007, 08:01 AM

I've booked online with Bangkok Air and it was very smooth.
Sep 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM

i ahve also booked on line with them....the best info i got from them is when i talked with the ny sales office directly....many have had trouble with the india sales staff....
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Yes I have booked online with no problems.

J
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM

did you take into account the taxes when you calculated the cost?

SR-KS shouldn't be a problem with the pass. You just have to puchase 2 legs, SR-BKK ($90 plus $15 tax since it's int'l) and BKK-KS ($66+10 tax). Also, you need to make sure the flights are available online those days which can be seen online. All the flights that were available online were bookable through the Pass for me, and those that were sold out, were not.
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM

I have heard from others as well that the SR-KS flight (I'm not sure if it is non-stop or merely direct) is not included in the Discovery Pass. It can be done as two separate flights on the Discovery Pass, and is charged accordingly as two segments.
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

To be clear, we were able to do a SR->BKK->KS trip with Discovery Airpass; we just weren't able to use the pass to buy the direct SR->KS flight that we wanted (with one stop, but no change in planes, I believe).

Also, I donít believe I added in the taxes, which is a good point.

I am inclined to use the pass for our other legs and buy the SR->KS flight online. It saves us 90 minutes and the hassle of changing planes. Of course, I've spent well over 90 minutes thinking about this already -- but that time is coming out of my workday, as opposed to my vacation!
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Yes, this is one leg that is excluded according to the pass rules.

Check the price difference. With the pass, it would cost you $90+$20+$66+$10, so about $186 give or take $10.
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, smartcookie. Where may I find the rules & prices for the Discovery Airpass? And do you have a recommended method/place for purchasing it?

The agent at 866-BANGKOK quoted me a $473/person tax-inclusive price for our itinerary using the Discovery Airpass (and the non-preferred SR->BKK->KS flight). It seems like that price was way off from what you indicated!
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Please excuse that last post; I think that smartcookie's message was directed to only the cost of the SR->BKK->KS flights.

For the direct SR->KS flight, bangkokair.com quotes a price of US$191 ("M" fare) or US$199 ("Y" fare). With surcharges, that comes to $216/person.
Sep 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM

http://www.bangkokair.com/discoveryairpass/?id=2

Restriction on this route is at the bottom in red. I'm guessing it's an expensive route that they have no problems selling without the pass.
Sep 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, smartcookie. Very helpful! Now, if you'll give me a moment, I'll see if I can gin up an excuse as for why I was unable to find that page on my own.
Sep 8th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Hi, dg99!

As recently as this past spring, I've used Bangkok Airways, and have always found their flights delightful!

I've made purchases both ways with no problems: on the website for 1 or 2 flight segments, and also through the call center for purchasing a Discovery Pass.

Were you aware that in Bangkok airport, Bangkok Airways has its own lounge for all its passengers, and that free internet PC's are available as well as beverages and mini-snacks?

Enjoy yourself, whichever flights you select.
Sep 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM

free PCs at BKK with internet for BA passengers? this would be great for me as I have a 6 hour nightime layover there before after I get in from the US. does anyone know if it's open 24 hrs? I'll be there 2am-7am or so. Thanks!
Sep 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM

i doubt it will be staffed at that time of day....maybe around 6???
Sep 11th, 2007, 08:58 PM

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/bangkok.htm

in case others are interested, this is a fun site. seems that the lounges close 1am-5am for cleaning, however most food shops are open all night.