Bali - solo

Aug 14th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Bali - solo

After spending one week at a women's surf resort in Seminyak, I am going to travel solo around the island. I would like to do some hiking and take a bike tour, and otherwise see the sights and party a bit. I don't know anyone who has traveled to Bali and so I am having a difficult time getting a sense of whether I need to find people to tag a long with or whether I should be okay to partake in activities alone with guides or solo.
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM

I'm female and was there solo. No problems.Did three weeks throughout S.E. Asia solo. Happy Travels!
Aug 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM

No problem at all traveling solo in Bali. Very easy to get around and quite safe (of course donít do stupid things with wallets, purses leaving hotel rooms unlocked, etc). There are lot of people traveling solo there and also in groups who are welcoming to travelers. I am sure you will meet people in your surfing group who may want to stay on and travel too.

I have a friend here in Hong Kong who is going tonight for a week to what I am assuming is that same womenís surf in Seminyak (Dewi Villas?), what a small world this is!!
Aug 16th, 2007, 03:10 AM

It's easy to travel around Bali and I had no problems either. Tons of buses, minibuses and shared taxis/pickups, whatever you want to call them - known locally as bemos.

You can skip around from town to town and they'll get you most places. The exception to this is arriving at the airport when a pre-paid taxi to your first port of call is the smart option (unless it's Kuta, I suppose).

It is also possible to hire a car and driver (I have only EVER done this once and it was on Bali) - arranged through my guesthouse in Candidasa. I was the only pax and it was fine and got me to Tanah Lot which I wouldn't have had time to see otherwise, and from there back to the airport.

But, having re-read your post, you mention hiking and taking a bike tour.
You can hire bikes in many places and make your own tour. If, by hiking, you mean long distance or up a mountain you may need to do some research on what's available.

Bali is a fun and beautiful destination. Hope you enjoy.

Aug 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Bali is so easy for the solo traveller. You will make friends at the surf resort and just sit by your pool and you will meet lots of people to relax and dine with. Bali is so easy to get around you can hire a driver for about 350-400,000 rupiah (about $50 Aus)for the day and of course much cheaper if you find someone to share with to tour around the island. We did a great day bike trip from Kintamani to Ubud. Google Baik Bali they were excellent and can organise longer tours as well. Enjoy
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Here is a link for a bike trip that I have read good things about. Another company offering a similiar tour is called Bali Budaya tours, but they don't have a website.

http://www.balispirit.com/tours/bali...ike_tours.html
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I am leaving LAX (alone) on Aug26 and plan to hike the volcano Batur to see the sun rise. I was advised to find a company to travel with & am sure we will hike with a group. I'm looking forward to meeting people but also spending time solo as I'm sure both will be great.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:27 AM

I would definitely hire a driver/guide. You can miss so much trying to do it by yourself. We have been to Bali twice and used Merta driver/guide both times, reasonable, knowledgeable and reliable.
[email protected]
Don't get stuch with some who drives, drops you off and knows nothing about the area to make suggestions.
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:04 AM

But, with respect Johnbarb, you miss so much isolating yourself in a car with a driver.

When push comes to shove I find what I remember most about trips (sometimes years after) is not the must see historical monument or market, but the conversation I had waiting for a bus; or the kindness of someone who overheard, and told me I was going the wrong way.

Search this Thread