Bali or Lombok for beach portion?

Oct 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Bali or Lombok for beach portion?

Hi,
I am trying to perfect the beach portion of our Indonesia trip. We are going to spend a week in Ubud, taking in all the culture we can. Planning on 5 nights on the beach after that. I already know that the beaches to not stack up to Thai beaches ( we love those) or even Hawaii beaches ( we go there often since our daughter lives there.)
Still, I am looking for a real nice beach spot to complete the Ubud portion of our trip. I may sound a bit bipolar with what I am looking for: soft sand beach as close to white as possible in Indonesia, not crowded, very few hawkers, swimmable ocean, clear water. Walking distance ( or short cab ride) to local dining options. Was thinking about Qunci villas in Lombok. Looks like a real nice place. Is it worth spending time on transferring to this Island or should we stay on Bali ( which beach) to simplify things? Thanks for the input!
Oct 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM

I think we were the first people on this board to stay ay Qunci Villas 5 years ago. We have recommended it to many of our friends here since, and all have given it good reviews.

You might want to take a look at our photos of Lombok www.marlandc.com/KL_Lombok_Singapore/Index.html
The sand isn't white but I thought the beach was very nice.
Oct 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie,
Thank you for your reply. I recall that some fodorites stayed there and liked it. I think Fodors changed their accessibility, as really nothing comes up when I type in "Qunci". I guess you recommend the place? Is it worth the transfer from Bali? Thank You!
Oct 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Kathie...by the way, I enjoyed your pictures. BUT,,it looks like there are some aggressive beach vendors present? I always spend money and buy goods from locals, but I hate to be pestered! Are you telling me that the Beach front of Quinci is not quiet and peaceful? Maybe you can recommend another place? Thanks!!!
Oct 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM

No, the beach vendors there were not aggressive. We did see vendors, but they asked and took no for an answer. Cheryl, who really doesn't like aggressive vendors chatted with some of them. They are not allowed on the grounds of Qunci. When we were there, much of the day there was no one on the beach. When I went through the photos, I noticed most of the photos have people in them, no doubt because beach photos with no people are pretty boring! Cheryl was interested in getting photos of the locals.
Oct 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM

I tried the search as well and couldn't get it to come up with anything other than a 2003 post. Robbietravels spent some time there and reported on it as did Bob, rhkkmk.

Take a look at the Qunci Villas website. They now have villas as well as the original hotel that has two rooms per building.
Oct 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM

The whitest sand beach in Lombok that I know of is at Kuta and in front of the Novotel Coralia Hotel .

I have stayed there twice .The last time was 6 years ago so I do caution that things change .It used to be pristine .Hopefully it still is .

I went just because of the sand and water.I first went to Lombok in 1982 when there were nothing but hippy shacks on Kuta beach .I went back after the hotel was built in around 1996 /7 because of it . I loved it but others are not so keen .

There is little tree shade and the place is quite remote although there are simple places to eat very near.The food at the hotel was OK with buffets . They had a market one night which I normally loathe and avoid but it was actually good and I bought lovely ikat double weft ?? silk weaving .

On the positive side I liked the individual villas /suites . I like the Sasak influenced architecture . Sitting eating breakfast watching the harnessed cow with her calf trotting alongside as her , moving slowly up and down the beach raking and levelling the sand whilst the gentle water sparkled behind was my idea of heaven .When the tide is out you can wade through shallow to waste high water over white sand that is soft and massages your feet as you walk to rockpools and just loll about in them .

Don't stay at Sengiggi. Too commercial and the beach is not great.It does have plenty of dining options. In that regard see www.balieats.com which has a link to its Lombok newsletter with restaurant guide etc .

The Oberoi used to be regarded as the best hotel . Many here love Quinci Villas .

So perhaps look at Trip Advisor and the like to see if there are any recent reviews of the Novotel and other options and go from there .
Oct 19th, 2009, 06:13 AM

You may want to look at Tugu Lombok. That is what we finally picked for our November trip after much research. Miles of pristine white sand no vendors as far as TA reports say. Very unique dramatic architecture and excellent service from all reports. Downside $$$$.
Oct 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM

As John says, avoid Sengiggi. There is a Sheraton there with all the ambiance of a Motel 6 - lol.

We visited the Novotel Coralia a couple of times and didn't really like it. The beach is blindingly white, though the sand isn't very soft. It's located at the hottest point on the island and there is basically no shade. There are two kinds of accommodations, hotel rooms (pretty grim) and the little Sasak-style villas which are nice. But do take a look, you might like it as John did.

The photos of Tugu look great. scf, do report back to us on your stay!
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Yes I will be sure to post on my Tugu experience. They seem to operate outside the boutique hotel box a bit. The one thing I have read in some reports is swimming from the beach is difficult because it is rocky and shallow. Other reports say swimming from beach was great. Tides may play a part but I always think this is just a matter of some people are braver and willing to just get out there. Also sandals or aquasocks needed for beach walks as lots of coral pieces mixed in with sand. This to me is a good indication that the area is still wild and untouched by too many tourists and beachcombers.
Oct 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM

[Disclaimer: I'm not a big Lombok fan and I actually like the beach in Bali especially Seminyak]

I've stayed at the Sheraton and the Oberoi in Lombok. The Sheraton was as noted fairly commercial. I never went back but I have to admit that Senggigi is the best beach and the only developed tourist facilities -- restaurants, shops -- in Lombok.

I visited the Novotel and wasn't compelled to return. The beach is impressive -- big blue waves, hot white sand -- but the resort itself seemed like a kiln. I haven't been to the Tugu yet. Like everything they do I'm sure it will be over the top in decor. Both are in quite remote areas, so once you're there you're there.

I liked the Oberoi a lot and stayed there several times. The last time was, however,several years back. The villas are especially nice -- spacious, airy and well designed. Beautiful restaurant and pool. Adequate beach though not exceptional. Spectacular sunsets. Not within walking distance to anything.

I'm still planning to try Qunci, but there's something of a centrifugal force in Bali -- once I'm there I can't get up the motivation to leave.
Oct 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, Thank you so very much for your replies!!
I am still confused. Here it is: I am still looking for a fab beach knowing that it will not measure up to what I have already been too. Qunci looks like it is right up my alley, but the transfer to Lombok is not enticing. I would like to keep things simple. We sort of like Tandjung Sari in Sanur ( more expensive than Qunci) no transfer and travel needed, therefore time saved. BUT: I heard Sanur is busier ( OK, more dining options) but also not as scenic!!! Please advise!
THANK YOU for all your help!!!
Oct 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM

Are you planning on lolling around a hotel in Lombok and lazing on the beach or touring the island most of the time ? I ask because Tandjung S is a low key but , imho , iconic Bali property . When there was no such thing as a boutique hotel - it was one and hosted Kings , Queens and rock stars all the time .It is a nice beach with white sand as it is protected by a reef . So it makes a lovely option and easy to get to from Ubud.

If you go to L you lose a day effectively in flying and driving .So unless you want to tour that island go to Sanur .No point in a grand white beach in Lombok if most of your time is going to used touring the place and using the hotel as a base only .
Oct 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM

I have pretty much the same question as John. What do you like to do when you're at the beach? Swim, walk, watch the sunset, stare out to sea?

I haven't been to the Tanjung Sari for years so I can't comment on the facilities. It was one of the original boutique resorts, so my main concern would be that it might be showing its age. It has traditional decor and beautiful gardens.

Sanur is a long sandy beach with a gentle surf that's good for swimming. The area is still quiet and village-like, but there actually are quite a few resorts lined up next to each other.
Oct 22nd, 2009, 06:48 AM

Several of the regulars here stayed at Tanjung Sari this year and loved it.

I stay at Sanur when I go to Bali. The beach at Sanur is ok, not nearly as scenic as at Qunci, nor is the sand as soft. There are lots of little restaurants and shops in Sanur, it is a small town. While there are a number of resorts on the road that Qunci is on, they aren't right next to each other. These are very different experiences, it just depends on what you are looking for.
Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM

I stayed in Ubud for 3 times. I like it much more better than Kuta Bali or Seminyak area. I stayed in Four Season and COMO Shambala. Both are great villas for your runaway holiday from a city life.
Nice staff, nice place... Nice home!
If you think that you are a bit bipolar by loving the unification between Ubud portion and the beach, i must be more bipolar than you for i always went to Ubud first and go to Kuta Lombok after
I stayed in Novotel Lombok for i do love Kuta Lombok.
(That's a bipolar also, i DON'T like KUTA Bali, but i LOVE KUTA Lombok =p).
I went around Senggigi and Mataram area, but never stayed there for i think that's too commercial.
So if you are looking for a soft sand beach, Novotel must be the right place to go. There's no beach in all over Indonesia can be compared to Kuta Lombok beach.
Luckily, i was always there when it is not low-tide so i can swim everyday as the water is so so clear.
I always recommend friends who want to travel to Bali, for at least passing or staying in Kuta Lombok even just for a day.
And all of them stay in Novotel longer.
But, if what you're looking for is the walking distance to local dining option, it must not be your place to go.
Stay with the buffet or the A la Carte will be the best decision. I bet you don't want to break your days with colic just because of your curiosity.
Happy voting, Kirstenrdh... ^_^
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Hello Everyone!! I so very much enjoyed your responses. I only have 5 night beach time.... I just posted a question whether to split or not to split. We will definitely do Qunci Villas in Lombok but are wondering if we should "work in" Tandjung Sari in Sanur.
Thanks to all...
Kirsten