bali, java flights ??????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my flights that im looking at are as follows...

denpasar to yogy
flights are 8, 12:50, and 7:55 on garuda. thinking on taking the 8am. how early at the airport for domestic flights ? also heard take the earliest flights cause there usually on time ?

yogy to sarabaya

lion air - leaves

at 6am and arrives 6:50 am for 71$

gurada leaves 1:35 arrives 4:20 via bali for 249$

guess ill take lion air ? Since im staying in borobudor how long to get to yogy for the airport ? should i stay in yogy for that last night ?

sarabaya to denpasar

leaves 625am, 1020am , 5pm, and 710pm
was gonna take the 625am one ? how far is it if i stay in the mt bromo area and have to drive to sarabaya to the airport ? should i stay in sarabaya for that last night ?

looking to use points on a credit card to purchase these flights . is there any benefit on waiting till i get there to book a few days ahead ????
looking forward to your thoughts !!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Taking the early flight out of Denpasar makes sense. You'll only need to be at the airport 1 hour in advance.

I expect marmot can help you with the Surabaya Mt Bromo question. She can also comment on Lion Air. Frankly, most of the airlines in Indoneisa are pretty dodgy; Garuda is the best of the lot.

I'm unclear about your idea to purchase these tickets with credit card points... I can't imagine you can use points to purchase these flights... it's even been hard to purchase the flights from the US! I do believe you can now purchase Garuda flights online, but last I tried (a couple of years ago) it was not possible.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM

Yogya to Surabaya
Lion Air is okay. Don't even think about going from Yogya to Denpasar to Surabaya. That's like going from New York to Boston through Chicago.

Borobudur to Yogya airport is about 1.5 hours.

Surabaya to Denpasar
Either take a late flight or spend the night in Surabaya. I don't know the exact travel time from Bromo to Surabaya airport but it's at least 2 hours, maybe 3. You'll find out when you arrive.

Flights around the holidays will be busy.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM

does air asia have anything....we found them fantastic to bali and cheap
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Air Asia does not fly point to point within Indonesia.

Bob, did you see Tere's comment on another thread that Air Asia was the worst airline she's ever flown? To each one's own.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Air Asia does have an Indonesian subsidiary, but unlike other Indonesian airlines, all flights go through Jakarta. So, to get from Surabaya to Yogya (a 30 minute direct flight) would take you at least 3 hours of air time.

Bromo to Surabaya airport is a minimum of 3 hours. I've done that - stay on the mountain, see the sunrise, take a nap, then direct to the airport for an afternoon flight.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM

i did not see her post....there was nothing not to like about them if you spent the extra dollar or two to get express boarding which allowed you on first to select your seat....i can't wait to fly them again
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks everybody !!!!!!!
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM

One more thing perhaps worth mentioning: Lion Air, and even Garuda, can be quite skimpy with the leg room. I think I'm only slightly above average height for an American, and I've been on flights where I can't sit down without turning sideways so my knees don't wedge into the back of the next row.

Always try to get the airport extra early for a domestic Indonesian flight, and try to get either the front row or the emergency exit rows.