Local flights in Indonesia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a month trip to Indonesia in April. It sounds like travel between islands is best done on local flights. Do we need to book the flights before we arrive or can we be spontaneous? Our plans include Ubud, Yogykarta, Mt. Bromo, Tan Toraja-Sulawesi, Lombok and perhaps Gili Islands and lastly Bali. Which legs could be easily done by ferry? Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM

bali to lombok for sure
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM

bmtrips, I'll bump up another recent thread on Indonesian ferries. Other than between Bali and Lombok you'd be better off flying from island to island and from Yogya to Surabaya in the case of Mt. Bromo.

I'd suggest that you try to choose Garuda for flights inside of Indonesia. There are several other small budget carriers but Garuda is the most reliable. Flights are often delayed and cancelled so you don't want to over-schedule.

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Does anyone know if we should book the flights with Garuda airlines before we go? Or can we be spontaneous and book a few days in advance?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi bmtrips - regarding booking with Garuda in advance -

My experience with Garuda is that you should book in advance and be prepared for delays...

I live in Indonesia and have flown Garuda dozens of times, but not on the routes you're considering.

A friend of mine just spent 24 hours in the Jakarta airport waiting for his domestic Garuda flight. Apparently, the flight was delayed for two hours, then delayed for another two, then another two, and so on...

I don't mean to discourage you, and chances are you'll have no troubles whatsoever, but when it comes to Indonesian transportation, it helps to be flexible and to keep your sense of humor.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM

bmtrips, I agree you should book the flights in advance, but don't get restricted fare tickets. I.e., make sure you can change the dates and times if you decide to revise your itinerary once you're in country. Usually flights are not full (except at holidays) but in typical Indonesian fashion -- inexplicable -- quite often you can't get reservations.