Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:59 AM
klt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali - 2 weeks w/2 kids

Good idea or not?

Bali for 2 weeks in July
me and my husband (mid 30s) and 2 kids (1 and 3 years old)

Ritz? Four Seasons? 1 week inland; 1 week beach?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:40 PM

Perfectly lovely weather in July which is the dry season.Lovely mistral breezes and low humidity .It seems you have a generous budget for accomodation which means you have broad options .Security at these hotels is very good and they have experienced babysitters if needed . The suites at the Four Seasons Jimbaran ( and some other luxe hotels )may be a problem in that they all have plunge pools about 1.5 metres deep so with small kids close supervision would be needed as there is no fence etc .I have stayed there and a variety of other deluxe hotels and ordinairy ones as well over the years . I like The Legian Suites .Large suites , views and well situated to do other things .Have you thought of a private villa ? Look at www.sungaitinggi.com/images/# which is one I know of and know people who have stayed there and they loved it .Lots of staff ,chef , good security , tennis court etc etc and well placed on the beach but private .

As long as you drink bottled water etc the kids should be fine .I suggest that you get your search engine to look for informnation as there a hundreds of options and it depends on what you want to do ( nothing much or lots of sightseeing / shopping )as to where you stay . Just google Bali Hotels or Villa Rental and see what comes up . Cheers
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:03 PM

Bali is great for kids. It's one of our daughter's favorite places. There are many, many hotels and villas to choose from...the big name luxury places as well as some beautiful small, inexpensive places. You can spend big money or not...in fact, our favorite hotel that we've ever stayed in is Alam Sari in Bali, and it is about $50.00 - $60.00/night.

Maybe decide what kind of place you are looking for and what services you want it to have, and go from there. Otherwise, the choices are too many.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM

KimJapan I recall reading your views about Alam Sari , its charming staff etc and had noted it as a result for my next trip.And klt the Balinese adore children as do Indonesians generally in my experience given so many work in Bali in hotels / hospitality . I would love to be planning a visit .
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM

I agree on weather in July, but where are you coming from for this trip? If from the US, a flight that long with kids that young and a 12 or 15 hour time change can be hard for both parents and kids. Have you taken them on long flights with a time change before? How did they do? In my experience, kids are up all night for the first few days and will want to sleep all day. (KimJapan makes the trip from Japan which only about a 7 hour non-stop flight and only a 1 hour time change, that makes a huge difference.) You may not get as much out of it either due to that and having to tend to them all day, albeit even if there are babysitters. You may want to wait until they are older and can really participate in all the activities, both cultural and outdoor stuff like river rafting and biking. Toddlers can’t do a whole lot. Because of the heat and humidity, you have to watch for dehydration and as children that young may not be able to take anti-malarials, you have to be diligent about the bug spray. (Malaria is very rare in Bali, but it’s kids I would worry more about.)

As I have said many times, Bali is a LONG way to go for a beach, and it isn’t that great a beach when you get there. Bali is about visiting small villages and seeing the artisans at work, observing temple rituals, talking walks in rice paddies or biking along the little side roads. These can be hard to do with such young children. And of course they will never remember the trip. From maybe age 5 or so they would enjoy it a lot more, IMO, and could tolerate the flight and jet lag better. (If you want a really beautiful beach, go to St John.)

The Four Seasons Sayan is not appropriate for toddlers or young children (they put this on their website I believe) as the lobby, bar and one of their restaurants is elevated hundreds of feet off the ground and is completely open to a drop off with no railings at all. The Ritz-Carlton sits on a cliff and has large garden areas along the cliff with no fence, I would watch them quite carefully here. Agree on the plunge pool issue, although you could certainly get a room without a plunge pool.

I love Bali, but maybe grandma and grandpa could watch the kids for this one?!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:01 PM

It's been our experience that our daughter handles jet lag much better than I or my husband do, but I realize that is not always the case. Kids are all different, good thing we got lucky because jet lag knocks me down hard each and every trip.

We have lived in Japan for 11 years, and our daughter was born here. She has made more trips across the Pacific than I can count right now, the first when she was 10 weeks old, and we've not had any trouble with the plane ride or jetlag with her...she's always had her own seat and we used a car seat onboard the airplane until she was too big. She was very sad to lose the use of her carseat onboard, as she found it much more supportive and comforable than an economy class seat. For the most part, even now that she's 9, she's been an airplane sleeper. Lucky us I guess. That, and we tend to choose overnight flights whenever we can for that reason (and not to "waste" a day of vacation time in transit).

She also remembers quite well her first trip to Thailand, just after she turned 3. She even remembers the names of the friends she made there (and I don't). We took her to Bali when she was 7 and she LOVED it, but she was old enough to really participate in the many hands on cultural activities we arranged. A 3 year old could do many of the things we did, like music and dance and painting, but probably not a 1 year old. 3 is too young I'd think for trying out batik making, wood carving, silversmithing...all things you can try if you like, or just watch...we found arranging lessons in many things really enhanced all of our experiences, but maybe that sort of thing is better left to when both children are older.

I definitely have to agree that the FS Sayan is not appropriate for kids at all. In fact, there are quite a few hotels that, while they would certainly welcome kids, would require careful and diligent supervision at all tiimes due to their setting and architecture.

I also agree with Cicerone about Bali's beaches. We don't go to Bali for the beaches, but for its beauty and rich and easily accessible culture. I've yet to see a beach in Bali that makes me say "Wow."

I do think you could enjoy Bali if you stay in the right place and keep in mind that the pace with two little ones will be very slow with lots of breaks and down time. But, if you are going to Bali from the states, it is a very long trip to make. If it's your first long trip together, it could be quite challenging. I do note you have previously asked about Africa and Italy, so perhaps your kids are already experienced travelers, in which case you know their travel personalities and are not worried about that.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM

We took our 3 year old to Bali for a month. Jet lag was tough, but with babysitters available, a nap is always possible.

We spent about 3 hours per day in the pool regardless of being inland or not. She wasn't too keen on shopping, but liked playing on the beach. She didn't like the heat there in November.

Why are people down on Bali beaches? What about Uluwatu? I said "wow" every time I saw the cave with the aqua water peeking through.

The beaches aren't like California or Australia, but in their own way I think they are spectacular. Kremass? With the black sand and black pebbles?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:45 PM

I suppose the beaches of Bali fail to impress me for a few reasons.

I'm from New England, and the coast of Maine is where I spent my childhood vacations, and it lovely there, in spite of the ice cold water.

I lived in Greece for a year, and have vacationed there 4 times. Greece has some of the most stunning beaches I've experience, some black pebble sand like Santorini. Some large, smooth rocks, like Sougia, Crete. Some lovely white sand, like Naxos, Mykonos, Kos, Samos. Some cliffs into the sea, like Hydra.

Thailand's beaches are also an attraction for us, but not really the ones that are popular with tourists, but ones that are quiet and clean. The southern side of Khao Lak was gorgeous, with soft grey sand and big boulders decorating the beach, with lots of seashells. The southern side of Koh Samui isn't popular, but is also picturesque.

Bali's beaches just haven't been all that to us. The water in the southern areas is dirty. Some hotels do keep up their section of beach nicely though. The east side of the island in the Amed area is clean, but the beaches tend to be shale, hard on the feet, though nice enough to look at. Northern Bali around Lovina is also not clean...we saw a sewage pipe draining directly into the see 10 years ago, and that same pipe was still there 8 years later, same bubbly brown water, same smell. Locals there tell you it's rain water... Up iin the northwest the water is best and the diving and snorkeling is tops. Beaches are not beautiful though, and hotels are few.

I really think that if you fly halfway around the world to Bali expecting fabulous beaches, you will be disappointed. If you fly halfway around the world to Bali expecting rich culture and wonderfully friendly people, with some nice beaches as a side attraction, you would be very satisfied.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:59 PM

I am not “down” on Bali beaches, I agree that some of them are spectacular, in particular Uluwatu, but that is for the cliffs and caves (and the temple), not the white sand (which isn’t there). I just like to caution people who have not been because I think there is a perception that Bali is like “Bali Ha’i” in the film “South Pacific”, and people think they will be sitting on a powdery white sand beach fringed with palm trees with turquoise blue water lapping gently at their toes. That is not what Bali beaches are like. Some have very rough surf, some like Kuta are very wide with hard packed sand, some are black sand, but none that I have yet to see are the white soft sand and azure waters that you will find in places like St John or the Maldives which have, IMO, truly stunning knock-your-socks off beaches. All that is perfectly fine with me, because I am not in Bali for the beach. Like the Balinese, I don’t go to the beach, I head for the hills. But I would not want someone to fly 20+ hours and spend a lot of money with a misperception about what they will find. I also think if someone wants a beach vacation, which is a perfectly valid way to spend a vacation, there are better places to go much closer to home. To go all that way and go ONLY to the beach is a waste of time and money, IMO.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM

klt, Bali is great with small children. Although I only have one, he's been traveling to Bali for 20 years (since he was 3) and enjoyed it everytime.

Since you seem to be on a generous budget you'll have lots of choices. Most resorts will offer full time babysitters during your stay. They are not expensive and I would recommend one for each child especially if your 1 year old is already mobile. Indonesia (like most of Asia) is definitely not child-proofed and they will need someone with them at all times as unexpected dangers like fish ponds, balconies, electrical outlets etc. are everywhere.

The Ritz is a big sprawling self contained resort with several restaurants and lots of activities. It's not convenient to anything else but once you're there you may just want to stay there.

The resort is located on a cliff overlooking the sea and you have to be driven to the beach. The beach is fairly sandy and calm but shade is extremely limited.

The Four Seasons Jimbaran has a nice quiet beach (although somewhat eroded) but the plunge pools and vertical arrangement would be problematic for little ones.

I also really like the Legian in Seminyak. The surf is too rough for small children to swim in but there's a pool and a big sandy beach. It's very convenient to shops, restaurants, spa, clubs.

The inland area is difficult because so many of the best resorts are located on the side of the river valley and are definitely not child-safe. Again, you could compensate by having a fulltime child-minder.

All over Bali people LOVE children. They are always welcome. The waiters will take them off your hands while you eat. Your driver will watch them while you shop.

My toddler reacted well to long haul flights. We live in Jakarta now, but when we started visiting Indonesia we "commuted" from New York.

We just didn't push it too hard. He wanted to get up at 3:00 a.m. we got up. We just planned a LOT of nap time. July is the dry season but it's always HOT. You have to move slowly.

My son's 3 year old psyche really responded to the art, music, dance, theater, temple festivals and spectacle of Bali. It was a pleasure to observe, and as I said the fascination continues 20 years on.