Back In Bangkok

Search

Back In Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back In Bangkok

There's an early morning fog blanketing the city as Oman Airways Flight 817 makes it's arrival descent into Bangkok. This is my third trip into Bangkok and I am sure I will return again as Thailand is always a country that beckons me back.

However, this time my stay is initially only a transit one as I will be taking a flight from here tomorrow to Burma. Nonetheless, I have another day to enjoy one of the more exciting cities in Asia.

From the airport it is less than a thirty minute transfer into the city by train for less than US$2 (45 Baht). I feel like I am on familiar grounds as I exit Phaya Thai ready to enjoy a few of the things I always love about being in Thailand.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 05:55 AM

If you can travel light, the train is a great way to get into the city. Enjoy Bangkok! I'm trying to book my next trip, scheduled for April.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

simpsonc510,

I agree with you that you probably have to be traveling light for the train unless maybe you take the express one.

I got on train about 8am and by the third stop it was packed.

Good luck with your trip planning. It is always nice to be back in Thailand!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 03:31 AM

i am planning the trip in march need a tips and guide line from you guys
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Shoppingmonk,

I think "simpsonc510" knows more about Bangkok than I do especially if you are really a shopping monk

If you are traveling light getting into the city from the main airport is easy using the train system. There are two options an express line and a regular line for less than US$2. Taxi's are readily available at all the train stops.

For a nice affordable hotel I recommend "Moonite Boutique Hotel". About US$60 per night booked online. For the most part even 5 star hotels are relatively inexpensive in Bangkok.

For touring, I would just visit the floating market that you can get to by boat from the city. The world famous one is a long way out of town.

Enjoy Thailand!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Bald and Relaxed

After a few hours relaxing at a Starbucks near the Phaya Thai Station, I make my way back there to board the BTS Sky Train. For less than US$1 (20 Baht), I am just a few stops and a short walk away from my Bangkok accommodations for the night.

Checked in at another familiar spot in the city, I relax in the comfort of what seems like home then it is time for a long hot and refreshing shower.

Wearing my backpack “Monday Best” I am again off on the streets of Bangkok, in a manner of speaking. My first journey is along one of the cities fun and popular transportation avenues, its famous canals. This time it's a THB$10 (US$0.50) fare for a journey that will take me to one of the main streets in the city.

For me, at home going to the barber brings on a standard joke and criticism of my financial wisdom.

“You have no hair”. “Why are you wasting money going to the barber?”

For the most part these criticisms are fair since I have had a bald spot for at least the last twenty years, most of my young life. However, as long as I have some hair, every now and then it deserves some special treatment.

At the moment in Bangkok I am on my way to do just that and the only people that will be amused by my actions are people I don't know and a barber that will see it as easy money.

THB$120 (less than US$5) including a tip and about twenty minutes later I am bald but not quite yet beautiful. An excellent hair cut with a warm towel face wash along with an old-fashioned barber razor edging.

I feel like THB$29868071.69.

Looking in the barber shop mirror, I am reminded of a universal truth that we all know. God only made a few perfect heads, on the rest of them she put hair.

A few steps down from the barber shop and I am being twisted like a pretzel almost to the point of pain. With a weight on my body I am bent from one direction to the next.

Except that I know my perpetrator's intentions are good, I would otherwise wrestle her free from me and runaway like I did after losing a fight to another girl in the fourth grade.

An hour later I am so relaxed almost to the point that I am afraid to walk. However, with steel determination I find the will to do so as my Bangkok outing must continue.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Sounds like soi 8. My DH and DS both go to a barber on this soi... for about that same price... Tong Manhattan barber; and there are massage shops almost right next door!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

simpsonc510,

I think you are right! In looking at a map I think it is on Soi Tonson.

I'm glad DH & DS have shared the same nice and definitely inexpensive experience
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM

Soi Tonson is in the Phloenchit area. I was naming soi 8 along Sukhumvit... but they sound very similar.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

simpsonc510,

I get on the canal boat at Chit Lom headed towards the Grand Palace. Two stops later at the main transfer point I go up the stairs and start walking right.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

How Deep Is Beauty

Still feeling relaxed but lacking in the beauty department, I head over to one of Bangkok's unusual theaters for maybe some beauty tips. I can see that my self researching tips may come at an expensive price as I say good-bye to THB$1200.

If all else fails, I do get one free drink for my THB$1200.

It's about 8:10pm and I am descending down a set of spiraling stairs next to a mirrored wall. I am inside the Asia Hotel where one by one an almost over friendly staff welcomes guests to The Playhouse Theater.

Our free drinks are served while the house lights are up and it is well past the 8:15pm showtime before the house lights are finally turned down.

A lengthy and loud introduction soundtrack is played as we can see and hear commotion going on behind the still closed stage curtains.

Obviously, the “Quiet On The Set or Positions Please” call has not been made.

“Come with me and you will be in a world of pure imagination”

I accept the inviting challenge of the opening act and forget that I am in a theater with only about thirty people. I assume most of us are here because of our curiosity about the performers. It is not long before the calm invitation of the opening act turns into a high energy performance.

It is taking a lot of my imagination to accept what I should be accepting. However, I can see how some theater makeup might help me in the beauty department. Learning some of the moves might also help update my John Travolta routine.

Over the course of the next hour or so the energy level of the show decreases every once and awhile but not for too long. From a tribute to Michael Jackson by MJ himself to a rendition of Fame, I am really enjoying the vigor of this performance.

For me, two funny moments in the show comes from seeing male ballerina dancers and learning about the sad fate of a couple of “ladies men”, playboys. The first one got two warning shots to the head (at least he was warned), the other happen to fall on a kitchen knife about ten times. I guess they both had it coming.

In my younger days I knew a man that would dance for you, in worn out shoes. He once told me:

“But most the time I spend behind these county bars 'cause I drink a bit”. I ask him, please Mr Bojangles, Mr Bojangles, Mr Bojangles, dance.

For a group whose native tongue is not English this is one of the coolest rendition of Mr Bojangles that I have ever seen.

No doubt The Playhouse Cabaret has a lot of missteps and is not destined for Broadway anything soon but this turns out to be a fun experience. As the show ends I am still left wondering, really those were really. Really?

Leaving the theater we get the opportunity to take pictures with the actors in exchange for sometimes aggressive request for tips. I don't mind as I enjoyed the performance and maybe they are starving theater students.

Up close I do discovery that some of them are not who they appeared to be on the stage. That's ok as I now have my imagination back and know the makeup thing is not going to work for me.

I am going to have to find a way to be naturally beautiful.

Video:http://youtu.be/uXaP3kX5ueE
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:58 PM

was billT part of the cast that night?
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

rhkkmk,

I think so, the "HOT" one
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Amazing Street Food

If you have the stomach for it and you have no fear of it, the street food in Bangkok can be some of the best flavors and taste in the city. From fresh fruits to fried food, hot soups and hot meals at bargain prices there is no reason not to at least sample this form of some of Thailand's culinary delights.

For the many times I have been in Thailand my favorite street food is still Pad Thai and I at least return to the same location to get some of it. At the exit of the Ratchathewi BTS station next to the Asia Hotel car park entrance is in my opinion one of the best street Pad Thai stands. For THB$50 (less than US$2) you can get the works with shrimp then sit down and enjoy it right on the available sidewalk seating.

What a treat!

Another street food favorite of mine is what I call a purple flesh sweet potato (yam). For THB$30, you can sample a large one as you exit the canal boat at Panfa Leelard the last stop on the Golden Mount Line a popular route to visit the Grand Palace. I think the same lady has been there since 2007, just to your left as you reach street level.

On this trip I get to sample a fruit I have always had a curiosity about. To me, the largest tree grown edible fruit taste like a pineapple although it has a more firm and sort of crunchy texture.

Do let the looks of the Jack Fruit scare you away. It'll only cost you about THB$20, less than a US$1 to give it a try.

Video:http://youtu.be/e5ZvlIP1s5Q