Ayutthaya Questions

Search

Ayutthaya Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayutthaya Questions

We're going to Southeast Asia for two months, January and February. We've traveled extensively, although this is our first time in Asia. We're arriving in Bangkok January 2. We'll be in Bangkok for a week, largely self-guided excepted for one overview day we've planned w/ Tong Tours. We're adventurous travelers and are more interested in the area's culture than we are critter-related stuff like elephant rides or tiger temples. We're considering a one-day (departing and returning from/to Bangkok) excursion to Ayutthaya. From what we've read, this sounds like an interesting immersion into Thai/SE Asian history. Do you agree that Ayutthaya is worth a visit? And do you have any recommendations for tours to Ayutthaya - or do you think we just wing it, perhaps via a river cruise? Tong Tours - who are consistently recommended - have a day trip there via auto, abut we understand that there are less expensive options via river and, at heart, we really aren't guide/chaffeur travelers. Thanks for your help/recommendations! GotT
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Where else are you going in your two months? I ask because if Angkor Wat is included in your itinerary, you may not be interested in visiting more ruins. If, on the other hand, you love ruins or aren't visiting Angkor, then Ayutthaya is a nice day trip. The river cruise is some of the best part, so see if you can arrange that. The Shangri-La used to run a boat there, so you might check with them.

There are also ways to visit via train. You might check into that if it appeals to you.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM

We did a similar trip for 10 weeks (Jan and Feb) If you are okay with winging it your hotel can easily book you a trip to Ayutthaya perhaps with a private driver so you can see any particular area for as long as you are interested. It is worth a visit.
We found that for us we left our schedule fairly open and it was very very easy to book flight, train, bus and hotel details a few days in advance. This way if we loved a place and wanted to stay longer we could do so.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM

There is no public boat to Ayutthaya. The boat trip is always part of a tour. The cheapest way to do a self-guided trip to Ayutthaya is by train. The third-class fare is 20 Baht and there are trains more or less hourly. On arriving at Ayutthaya station, you can engage a tuk-tuk to take you around to the ruins, or you can cross the river and rent a bicycle or motorcycle to get around.

If you decide to do it on your own, do some homework to decide what you want to see. Personally, as a real ruin junkie, I think Ayutthaya is worth more than a day trip, as there is a lot to see.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM

I travelled here a few years ago. We caught a train from Bangkok to Ayutthaya and spent a night here as the next day we were getting the over night train up to Chang Mai. We pre booked our tickets and picked them up at the train station in Bangkok. It was a great way to see outside of the city whilst mingling with the locals. Once we arrived into Ayutthaya we stayed at the YHA and made friends with the young girl running it, and because we were the only 2 guests she invited us to have dinner with her family despite them speaking no english and us no thai. The next day we hired bikes and explored the town - a fascinating places with some lovely parks, elephant rides, old ruins..etc. Was certainly worth a visit for a day or even to stay over night!
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM

pssst... Michael, will you be around on Oct 22 for our GTG at Maeng's new place? It would be nice to catch up on travel, etc. I think I saw you at Chatuchak back in July, probably on a Saturday morning!
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM

I agree with Micheal that it is worth more than a day trip especilly since at night some of the ruins are floodlight. ( This was a few years ago and i assume they still are still floodlight). I have been to Ayuthaya many times but I still enjoy going back there. Kathi is correct that Angkor is bigger and more inpressive but Ayuthaya has its own charm and history. I guess it just depends on how much you like ruins.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Think we'll probably wing it and go by rail. GotT
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Carol - most likely yes, I'll be home around that time.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Michael, watch the thread on the GTG.