Ayutthaya by train or bus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate hearing your experiences traveling to Ayutthaya by train or bus. I've read many posts here about the tour with bus/car there and boat back. It seems that you have to be on the return boat by 13:00 and that leaves little time to see Ay. itself, including Bang Pa-in? (By the way, which is the downstream and faster direction by boat, going or returning?) It would seem that by train/bus, I'd have more time there to tour around. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all tips and comments.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM

I took the train to Ayutthaya and back. It's a good way to mingle with the locals. It was 2nd class going up and cost about 50 cents. This had cushioned seats and was crowded which pretty well defeated the air conditioning. The return trip was 3rd class and cost about 25 cents, so basically for free. That had wooden seats, the car was mostly empty, and the windows were down to get air. I got off at the airport on the way back for a short time and then caught another train to the city. This seemed sort of like a prison train.

Hua Lampong Railway Station in Bangkok is quite a scene. It is worth a visit in it's own right, imo.

The ride to Ayutthaya was none too dramatic in the scenery department.

If you require comfort then don't take the train.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM

Want to add that I am happy that I took the train trip and had a good time but I would not do it again.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM

I've been up by bus and down by river in the afternoon. If you choose the boat, I think thats the best option. Bangkok is downriver. You get to look around in the cooler part of the day and then relax on the river coming home. You don't get a lot of time to look around but its not too bad. If you want longer I'd say stay overnight (not great choices in hotels) or if money is not a big issue then there are a couple of boats that do the trip and stop overnight - Manohra Song (sp?) from the Marriot hotel and another whose name I've forgotten. They are lovely but fairly pricy. They also do an early morning temple visit on the way.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM

We made this tour by car (with driver and guide) and return by boat. We saw the Summer palace and then, in Ay. a lot of temples. They are not so close one to other, so, without a car it will be difficult, as the weather is hot and humid.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM

I passed through Ayutthaya by train from Hualampong en route to Sukothai. As it was along way we went first clas and it was reasonable comfortable (but not necessary for Ayutthaya. As the previous poster says Hualampong is worth a visit in its own right. When we were there on a Sunday morning, I think at 9.00 everything stopped as the clock struck and the National Anthem was played. Everyone in the station immediately stood to attention wahtever they were doing. An amazing site!

I also went by boat up river to Bang Pa in and then onto Ayuthaya (btw Ay to Bankgok is the downstream direction) the river trip is nice and quite a peaceful way to travel. If the train far is only 50c why not hire a boat to visit Bang & Ay and then get the train back, that way you can spend all the time you want in Ay and experiencing both forms of transport.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for contributing your experience. Based on what I've read, I'm thinking that I should find a first class train north (comfort is somewhat important to me), but get off at Bang Pa In, then hire a boat to At. (Can one do that from Bang Pa In?). Then stay all the time I need there, hiring a van to get around; and take the bus with AC back to BKK. Any feedback on this idea? Again, thanks for contributing.