Ayutthaya

May 8th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Ayutthaya

Did I spell it right? Wondering if Ayutthaya is a sight worth including. My husband has loved the pictures. Have you gone? Did you take the boat? Is it worth a whole day?
Thanks
Karen
May 8th, 2004, 09:29 AM

I visited Ayutthaua many years ago and enjoyed it. It really is a full day trip (one way via bus, one way via boat). It is possible to do it without the boat trip, but I loved being on the river. If you haven't see other historic sites (such as Angkor Wat), it is very much worth the day. If you have visited other historic sites, it may not be worth a day if your time is limited.
May 8th, 2004, 11:22 AM

I thought Ayutthaya was amazing. And I enjoyed the bus and boat trip. I would suggest going there by bus (you probably will like to get there quickly) and then return by boat. The boat trip is not amazing, but relaxing and you get to eat dinner. We have also been to Ankor Wat and still think Ayutthaya was well worth the time. Sometimes the bus part is combined with another stop which is good.
May 8th, 2004, 04:34 PM

We loved it, too. We took a car and driver from the hotel because we were with our then 3 year old daughter who we worried would tire quickly. Turned out, we saw lots more than we would have had we taken a tour, with the added bonus of having everything go at our pace. The driver wasn't a tour guide, but did offer quite a bit of information and helped us select which sites to see first (in case our daughter tired of the trip).

It's definitely worth a whole day...we returned to Bangkok feeling like we had seen a lot but there was still a lot more. For our next trip, we are considering the boat trip that includes sleeping on board (I think it's the Mahnora Song, but can't remember right now. If time permits, I'd go!

Kim
May 8th, 2004, 05:53 PM

with the limited time you have described in the past, i would forgo this foray and concentrate on bkk itself...
May 9th, 2004, 09:20 AM

I agree with rhkkmk (Bob) that with limited time, it's better spent in BKK. Ayutthaya is interesting and worth a trip if there is time, but BKK has so much to offer and is so amazing that the travel time to A seems like a waste. Save it for your next trip.
May 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks what are the other don't miss sights. On Fodors 3 day tour list Ayutthaya is listed as the third day.
But I agree it is a big city. I need a shopping day too. I forgot to mention on Friday we are playing golf at the thai Country Club. (also playing in Hua Hin) We were oringinally looking for a golf trip and now we will be golfing on some of the most beautiful courses.
We arrive on a Wed at 11:30 am and leave for Chang Mai Monday. Mond-thurs Chang Mai then back to BKK and down to Hua Hin. 5 days down at the beach 2 or 3 rounds of golf (early in am)
Thanks for all the imput you are all invaluable
Karen
Thanks
May 9th, 2004, 03:38 PM

I've done the trip too . As Elainee suggests if you do go to Ayuthiya go by bus and back by boat another reason being it is hot in the afternoon and better to be on the river.