Lots of different questions - Bangkok

Aug 13th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Lots of different questions - Bangkok

Ive made a list of questions that I have from my notes and hope you can all help me out with some of them please.
Where is the best place to hire a boat for aKlong tour? Can we have our own boat and are the quieter but slower inboard motored boats preferable to the long boats?
Where should we ask to be taken (scenic klong wise) or do we have no choice? I think wed prefer to just float along unless there is must stop must sees? (not interested in the snake farm) anywhere else that we should really make a stop for...
sorry, this ended up many Klong questions.. will post my other questions hopefully shorter on seperate thread..sorry cant change the thread heading in the edit function
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:42 PM

there are 3 places i know of: at river city shopping ctr on the pier at the kiosk; at taskim pier at the end of the sky train; next to the shangri-la hotel on the opposite side from taskim and if you are staying at a riverfront hotel ask them to call one for you and pick you up at the hotel....may cost a bit more

the route in the klongs is pretty standard....wave off any stops you don't want to make and tell him when to move on...stop at the royal barges...allow about 3 hours for a good trip...
Aug 14th, 2004, 01:07 AM

I've always used the boat captain at the Shangri La hotel. They have their own pier. They will help you in and out of the boat. You probably pay a little bit more but they will help brief the boat driver on what want.

Genrally, you hire the boat by the hour (about £10 and hour I seem to recall) and without stops an hour or 2 is fine. (I've tended to do 2 x 1 hr trips during a stay - I don't usually bother stopping - if I see anywhere intereting I make an excuse to go back). There are no minimum numbers - you are paying for the boat - and they won't put pressure on you to share with others.

Most of the boat drivers tend to have a set route through the klongs, which involves passing a lady in a floating sam pan who will try to flog you drinks at v. expensive prices. Make it quite clear you don't want anything and the driver will press on.

The outboard motor type are generally the type you hire and these are a lot of fun. The inboard motor types tend to be used on the package excursions - which tend to be large groups, a commentary you won't be able to hear at the back - and aren't nearly as much fun.

The private hire of an outboard motor boat for a tour of the Klongs is a must-do!
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:16 AM

i think 10 ounds per hour is probably a high figure...i remember it more at 400B per hour our $10 or 5 pounds
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:02 PM

U could also look at realasia.net - they ahve a klong tour. Say it is off beat _ i have not done it but did their cycling tour and was very satisfied with that.
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hobbes, their webpage does look interesting - Ive emailed them for more info as it does sound different doesnt it.
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:56 AM
CFW

I was also interested in the realasia klong tour as it sounded interesting on their website. Tried to see if anyone else on fodors had used them, but got no response. Can't decide if its better to go with a tour like that or just rent a boat & driver on our own. When will you be going Cosmo? Please be sure to post about your experience when you get back.
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:06 AM

i have just looked at this website to see their boat trip...from the pictures i can tell you that you will see at least 90% of that from the standard long tail boat tour...as far as going ahore, that all times time and costs extra if you are paying by the hour....there are some restaurants along the way but i would not subject my western stomach to them, quite honestly....home visits??? staged???
you see lots of everyday life from the boat: mother washing clothes and/or dishes while kid is peeing just next to her....enough said...its fascinating however...
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

CFW - we are there on the 24th Sept. Ill post here what info they email me when I receive it.
We'll probably get our own boat but their price and info will be interesting to check out.
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask you Bob, if we take one from the Marriott what is the best time in the morning - should we dodge the peak hour river traffic (when does this slow) or is playing dodge ball with them a good opportunity.
What would you say is the ideal time for the trip?
thanks again
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:32 PM

first of all some things (traffic) on the river are governed by the tides...

you never have a problem getting around on the river...it is huge from side to side and can accomodate all the boats using it...sometimes it is a little hairy pulling into a specific dock but that is fun to watch....the more traffic there is the more fun it is honestly...

i do not think i have taken the klong tour in the AM, only in the afternoon so i can't really help you there...there is a mini floating market i understand near to the entrance of the klongs in the mornings...i would just by pass this especially cause you are going to the really good one with ratt...wave the driver on when people approach you to buy things...

the long tail boats are very aguile so it is not a problem....if it becomes one the driver just opens the throttle and you fly over anything in your way, up and over them....just kidding...

take hats and sun glasses and sun tan lotion by the way and some water...i took a long sleeved shirt as well to cover up from the sun and long pants...many boats have a tarp over you so you are shielded from the sun...the boats are huge by the way...lots of room...you sit on a low seat...its not the most comfortable but you will love the experience....its very noisy...the engines in case you don't know are like high HP car engines that are mounted above the boat on its tail and the steering and propulsion are done with a long pole that the driver uses...it has a propeller on the end of it...he can lift it out of the water...its like nothing i have seen any other place in the world...any teen age boy would die to have one!!!!

they are brightly colored...
this should be one of the highlites of your trip i think...hope the girls aren't bored...
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

No not bored, sounds like my kinda day out - and we'll definitely ask him to give it the gun at sometime during the trip as you suggested. ha
thanks again
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:27 PM

We took a longtail boat on a klong tour form the Shangri-La wharf in July last year. We paid around 1200 baht for about 2 hours-long enough-our rear ends and backs were a little tender after 2 hours. It is a fabulous way to see the canals and the people who live there. We returned to River City & checked out the shops there then got a boat back to Shangri-La. Best part of our time in BKK for us! Do it yourself-it's a cinch!