Waterfall Questions near River Kwai

Aug 15th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Waterfall Questions near River Kwai

Sai Yok Yai Waterfall and Erwan Waterfall - are they easy to get to and how much time should we allow? Should we pick one or see both when visiting Hell fire Pass and River Kwai?
thanks
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:01 AM

I have been to this area several times in april (at the end of the "dry" period)
The waterfalls sure aren't niagara or vic falls.I suppose allright for a swim but then you might be better off in the pool at the river Kwai hotel.

Focus on the other "attractions" up the Kwai valley from Kanchanabri

a Longboat ride on the kwai
hellfire pass museum and walk
elephant place
train ride Kan. to nam tok.

If you are interested in the railway go to the "new" museum near the war cemetery in Kan.

For something quite different take a ride up the 323 to the three pagoda pass at the Burma-thai border.
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We're going near the end of September and the waterfalls are supposed to be at there best then so still considering a look if we're not rushed (going over 2 days).
Can you remember if you had to walk into them and if so how long it took. Also their vicinity to Hellfire Pass (where staying the night near Hellfire Pass) or Kanchanaburi or Nam Tok.
thanks again.
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:59 AM

Sai Yok is your best bet.It is close to nam tok...you will need transport to get around up there between hell fire, nam tok,your hotel.

Typically your hotel will fix it.The couple of places i know are right on the river Kwai (i recommend the river kwai village hotel) It is a 10 minute drive to nam tok and naybe 20 to hellfire.323 is an excellent road apart from the local drivers!

It is better up there than at Kan which is pretty chaotic.Get the train from Kan to nam tok.
Aug 15th, 2004, 04:02 AM

Cosmo, Where are you staying in Katchanaburi?
Liked johhj 's suggestion for the ride up the 323 to the three pagoda pass at the Burma -Thai border. I will certainly give that some thought.
Aug 15th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks John, Ive actually booked River Kwai village via Web Sawadee Co. It is 2200bht for River View double with breakfast.
Im glad you recomend it because it was just a guess and now I know the postion that youve described then Im really happy!
The 3 Pagoda Pass - is it much past Hell Fire Pass? How long would it take to get there from the hotel?
Ill take your advice about the waterfall Sai Yok as it sounds an easy choice.
We are hiring a car for the 2 days so it will be easy to get around quickly so deciding on the priority list is the trick! ha
Ive printed off the train schedule for Nam Tok - sounds like its a beautiful route.
thanks again - Id appreciate the info on distance for 3 Pagoda when you have time please
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:13 AM

3 pagoda is 3 hrs drive from nam tok.unless you are a local in a pick up.

Not a realistic proposal on a two day trip up the kwai ex BKK. Are you driving yourself ex BKK?? Practice your three wide overtaking and play chicken with the oncoming traffic!!! At least they drive on the left.(sort of)

the river view rooms in the "new wing" are good at the river kwai village.Nice pool too.

there is an elephant place also worth visiting.

Do visit the new museum on the death railway in Kan.Just do the rail trip one way..probably be as hot as hell but worth it.Might be a little tricky to organise with your car...the hotel will help.
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:21 AM

We took an organized tour from our hotel that included Hell Fire Pass, elephant ride, rafting on river Kwai, train ride, and the waterfalls. Believe me, the waterfalls are nothing to go out of your way for! We hired a long boat and visited the cemeteries on our own--approaching them from the river. We were there Jan, 2003 so don't know about any new sites.
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:38 AM

what is hell fire pass? i have never seen mention of it until i read about it here this week....

i saw no notice of any driving problems in this area....thais are not the best drivers but i did not notice it to be a problem...its not like your whole day if full of playing chicken...

by the way do not expect the river to be a beautiful clean sparkling waterway...it is as brown as mud to look at but you can see fish swimming in it clearly next to the floating restaurant at the bridge, strangely enough...
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, Hell Fire a Pass is a "biggie" for most Australians - more so even then River kwai Bridge made famous by the movie.
It was at Hell Fire Pass that most of the deaths building the railway in WW2 occurred. Check out the website - It really was horrific
The POW's were made to cut completely through shear rock with small picks and actually made the pass by hand. The track then ran through this all the way up to 3 Pagoda Pass on Burma Border railway.
There is a museum there probably displaying the photos from the following website and then you can actually walk along a section of the pass allowing you to see what the poor buggers went through - Solid rock with a cut right through the middle of it for miles and all by hand! - have a look anyway - think youll find the website interesting.
http://www.hellfirepass.com/
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM

i think i have been there with ratt...she called it something different...it is right next to a small complex where she once took her family for the weekend...let me look it up in karen's journal...karen recorded that she called it the death railway....you can walk right out onto it with rock on one side and the river on the other....

i did look at the site and shall go back and study it in more detail...
Aug 15th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Well Cosmo even if your facts are rubbery your sentiment is correct.
For any thoughtful aussie hellfire pass is a "biggie" (particularly the dawn service there on anzac day)

If you have any interest in the death railway beyond the farcical movie "bridge on the river kwai". then do visit.It is about 100 km beyond Kanchanabri so often beyond the ambit of the BKK tourist.

In Kanchanabri for the best overview of the railway..
wander through the commonwealth war cemetery and then go to the newish museum adjacent
http://www.tbrconline.com/

leaves the local efforts in the shade.
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi John,the reason we are taking the two day trip is to see Hell Fire Pass not River Kwai, - I dont think we would waste the time if it was only to see the bridge - so no problem there....
my facts...did they not build or try to build the line from Hell Fire Pass up to the Burma border? - Im happy for you to correct me as the places are much more worthwhile if ther is good background knowledge of what your looking at... can you help me out more here?
thanks