Search

Ayutthaya

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayutthaya

My family (two kids ages 13 & 17) and I are planning on going for the day to Ayutthaya from Bangkok. I am trying to decide between the group tour with boat ride, a private tour or to take the train there.
Has anyone taken the group tour that goes by bus one way and then boat back? How is the boat ride? Is it worth going on? Any recommendations on tour company? If we do the private tour then we won't be able to go back on boat. Is it worth going on the group tour just for the boat ride instead of doing a private tour? The negative thing about this group tour is there isn't much time to see the sights.
If we took a train is there any type of ferry or long tail boat we can take back to Bangkok? Also, if we take the train do we take the ferry across from the train station and then are there guides to hire when we arrive? Is it worth renting bikes and seeing the sights on our own? Is it safe for kids to ride bikes?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did Ayutthaya by group tour with bus out and boat back. The boat trip back was the best part of the trip - don't miss it! I usually get bored on boats, but there was plenty to see on this one. I believe I arranged the tour through my hotel.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM

ay. is an ok place to go, but i'm not sure how much the kids will like it....its very hot there and all there is is some ruins to look at....unless you have tons of time in bkk, i might consider not doing it....the boat ride is nice but you can accomplish the same thing by using the boats in the center of town....it will take a whole day to do this, btw...

i would much rather take a klong (canal) tour...

if you do do it i would do the tour with bus/boat transportation....maybe the boat up would be nicer than boat back if this is an option....while up there do the 'bang in' palace also...

the kids might much prefer the bike tour offered in bkk....a dutch group does it....
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM

Years ago I did the bus up, boat back tour and really enjoyed it. Like Thursdays, I found the view of river life to be fascinating. It's different from a klong tour. You know your kids best. Will viewing ruined temples be interesting to them or boring? I've also heard of renting bicycles there, but it's not really an option on a group tour.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seemed to remember that my tour included more than the ruins of Ayutthaya, and a little digging suggests that we also visited Bang Pa-in, an odd but attractive collection of palaces - see thailandforvisitors.com/central/ayuthaya/bangpain.html
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:06 PM

Yup, we visited that too. I think it's routine on all of the bus-boat trips.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM

I took the train to Ayutthaya (20 baht) and hired a tuk-tuk when I got there. Took the train back, 10 baht.

If you want cheap, take the train. If you want to travel like an ordinary Thai, not particularly comfortably, take the train.

If you want a comfortable trip, then traveling like the other tourists do.

You said "If we do the private tour then we won't be able to go back on boat". That is not true, of course. Your private driver-guide would just travel back to Bangkok (or home) without having to drop you off. You'd pay the same for the tour, I suppose, and then also for the boat.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM

I should make it clear that I don't recommend that you and your family take the train. The trains, the tuk-tuk, the ruins, and my self-guided tour of Hua Lamphong railway station made for a good day for me, but probably not what you are looking for, even for just the one-way.

Bob made good point that 1) your kids might not like it, and 2) it will be hot.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I think we will do the group tour with boat ride back. i think the kids will like the boat ride and since we won't be at Ayutthaya all day then they might not get bored. Do we need to book this in advance if we are going during the christmas break? Any particular tour company you recommend?
thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM

No need to book in advance, but do book as soon as you get to Bangkok. I'm not sure how many boats are doing this trip right now, but all of the agencies have access to the same boat(s), so it doesn't matter who you book with.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM

the trip will take most of the day
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Is the boat ride back to Bangkok from Ayutthaya different from the Klong tour? Can I book it thru my hotel or do I go to a travel agencies? If it is at a travel agency, are they easy to find in Bangkok?
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM

The boat ride is different from the klong tour. There will likely be a travel agency in your hotel that you can use to book a trip to Ayutthaya, or your hotel can recommend one.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM

When you get to BKK..if you are at Rivercity mall over by the ROS, there is a tour desk on the pier that you can book all kinds of tours...including the trip to Ayutthaya.