August GTG in Honolulu

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August GTG in Honolulu

Let's choose our date. I'll fly in on Wednesday, August 3, have business all day Thursday and Friday. I could probably manage a get together on Friday night or could do it Saturday at lunch time. I can't get a room at the hotel where I am staying for Saturday night, so I'm inclined to take the redeye (which leaves HNL about 9:30 pm) Saurday night. I haven't purchased plane tickets yet, so if it makes a difference in who can make it there, I could switch hotels and fly out Sunday morning. Let's get a count of who can make it and when!
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Fri or Sat is good with us. Just let us know when.
Aloha!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 01:50 AM

any time is ok with me.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Anytime is fine.
Aloha from Hawaii
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Friday would be my first choice. I could do Sat lunch if it is early. I have a family party that night and have to help set up.

Lucy
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM

let me know when and where
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM

to anyone interested from LA area, I got this result on the link below doing a search on Travelocity this morning..hope the link works

http://travel.travelocity.com/trips/...pathIndicator=

Aloha!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Ok, it sounds like all the locals can make it for either Friday night or Saturday lunch. We'll see if we get anyone else from the mainland.

Where should we meet? Maybe a Thai place? What's the best Thai in Honolulu? Other ideas? (This may also influence when we meet.)
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM

what's the best thai in honolulu? well, i won't be surprised if you get four different choices. in hono, i like mekong on king st., though i haven't been there in years.

other choices? i think longhis restaurant in the ala moana shopping center is a good choice. its on the way to waikiki(from town), easy to find, lots of parking, great view of ala moana beach park, and i heard the food is good.(never ate there)

but, any place is ok with me.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM

I also love Mekong. Maybe we could get the whole upstairs if there are lots of us. (positive thinking!)
I ate at delonghis a few weeks ago. it is convenient, but the food was so-so. maybe just a bad night?

Indigo has a very nice private room- very "old shanghai". I just had lunch with a committee the other day there, so it must not be that expensive to reserve it. It was set for 20 people. We were there for the lunch buffet, tasty asian dishes and salads... If not, the regular dining areas are good for groups too.

any other ideas? I'm one of those "anywhere is fine" types.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM

The Mekong on S. Beretania St. is one of my favorite Thai places. It is an older restaurant as it is the original one owned by Keo's mom (of Keo's Thai Restaurants). You can also byob there. If you want to try a nicer atmosphere you might want to try Chai's Island Bistro in the Aloha Tower Mkt Place, it has entertainment and good food (I think they call it Pacifc Rim Cuissine) but with a price. Here is a link to the restaurant

http://www.chaisislandbistro.com/

Whatever's favorable to everyone is ok with me!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:00 PM

If you want to stay in Waikiki there is of course Keo's and Singha Thai (sp). I agree with Lucy on Longhie's at Ala Moana, I've eaten there for lunch and dinner, sometimes good other times... ahhhh. But always expensive. Depends on who's cooking I guess.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM

mekong on beretania is good, close to town(if kathie is working in town, good location). friends went to chais, and they said it was good, but overpriced. i think keo's went downhill after leaving kapahulu, never went to singha thai. would rather try st than keos. but like i said, anywhere is ok with me. its not so much the food, but the good company, and special occasion.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Sounds like we all like Mekong?
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

I checked the Zagat's site, I noticed that they rate the two branches of Mekong as the "best" Thai. So it looks like you agree with that assessment.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM

OK...folks...I'm back on line. I have to type fast. I'm at an internet place at 25 cents a minute. I don't own a computer and can't borrow one for free until tomorrow. Anyhow, count me in as long as I can get a flight out of LAX that leaves on Thursday evening and arrives Honolulu on Thursday night.There are no flights left out of Burbank that fit my schedule. Burbank is much closer to me than the hour drive to LAX, but I'll compromise. If I can't get a Thursday evening flight and end up with a Friday flight, then I can't get there for a get together on a Friday. I really would prefer Saturday at lunch time. Plus, one never knows about flights. I'd have more time to play with...as far as arriving...if we got together Saturday at lunch time. I'll start looking for a flight/hotel/rental car now and keep my fingers crossed that the price isn't out of my range. So, I take it that this is a definite. Hopefully see you soon. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I just googled Mekong restaurant and it's open Sat/Sun 5pm-9.30pm...no lunch on Sat/Sun Happy Travels!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Guenmai, I've been waiting to see if you can come. Let us know what you find out.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 09:11 PM

OK...Folks...It's a done deal. I just went on travelocity and booked the trip...flight/hotel/car. It's all paid for. I'll arrive Thursday night...late...and then fly home Sunday afternoon arriving home Sunday night. I paid a bit more for this flight schedule, but since I have to be back at work Monday morning it was less stressful than arriving at 6:00AM on Monday morning and then driving straight to work in bumper-to-bumper traffic. So shall we all meet on Friday evening at around 6:00PM at Mekong Restaurant...1295 South Beretania Street...Tel.808.591-8842...? The person who lives in Honolulu could make the reservation under the name of lcuy...it was lcuy who lives in Honolulu right? Anyhow, I'll check this forum tomorrow. Got to go....This computer use ids getting very expensive. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 09:39 PM

beretania mekong at 6pm on friday nite aug. 5 is ok with me. i've got the boone farm on ice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information