Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airlines-anyone flown them recently?

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son has received a ticket on Asiana from his girlfriend to visit her while she is working in Seoul. Has anyone flown them recently? I was wondering if you could recommend where to ask for seats (747) and if their reliability was good. Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:41 PM

i don't know about their seats but in most 747's we prefer the very rear seats because they are two seaters and the window seat has a huge gap between it and the wall....tons of extra room...its big enough that my wife can lie down there...
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM

seatexpert.com/_OZ_747.html
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:43 PM

We flew Asiana to and from Saigon via Seoul and have nothing but praise for them. On time, immaculate, top service, friendly staff. Those very rear seats -- there are several on both sides of the aircraft -- and you pick up all sorts of extra room between you and the bulkhead. If you have a layover at Incheon Airport, Seoul, there is a hotel within the airport which has immaculate, windowless, soundproof rooms which we used to get some rest. Very reasonable -- I think we paid about $45 for a double. Asiana can reserve the rooms for you; they did for us. Or you can look the hotel up on the internet; use Incheon as your key word. By the way, that airport is a stunner -- new, spotless, breathtaking architecture. Excellent shops and eateries.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on Asiana. My son had no seat selection so have called them but could not get what we wanted for a tall (6'3) guy with long legs. Hopefully, I can get over to Asiana sometime this week and visually pick out some seats using their availability (wish they showed them like other airlines).One question-the res agent said that they only serve two meals on the 14/15 hour flight-do they go through with beverages or water services like "my airline" in between? Thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Remember if you choose those seats way in the back more often than not you are served last so your choice of meals winds up being whats left- you still have a choice- to eat or not to eat! Also if you have a connecting flight - you are the last off the plane which may or may not affect your ability to catch that next flight.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM

All trans-Pacific flights on basically any airline serve two real meals, plus a snack mid-flight. I don't think it's different on Asiana. Since the snack is not a meal, I think the agent is correct.