Article on Cops Scamming Tourists at Bangkok Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came across this article and wonder if any of you have had any like experience or any comment on this phenomenon.

http://www.gadling.com/2009/07/21/co...kok-airport%2F

BTW, I've never personally been scammed in Thailand (that I know of! LOL!)
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM

et, there was whole long thread already about this a few weeks ago:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...rport-scam.cfm

Turned out the tourists in question were actually caught on video (I think there's a link somewhere in the thread) stealing from the duty free--hard to argue against the evidence.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi, filmwill!

Thanks for the link!

I'm late to the party - as usual. The link I provided is currently on AOL news, so this story, apparently, is still having some currency.

So, did Hanuman ever put on a girdle?

Monkeys in girdles and pandas in speedos, what's this world coming to?
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM

AOL news is usually late to the party as well!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM

AOL probably got it from the BBC, which just picked it up earlier this week. Apparently, even they don't fact check any more. At least it's got the local authorities in a tizzy, and there have been announcements this week about 'cleaning up' Suvarnabhumi - although it looks like they're going after the illegal taxis for the most part.

Also, in case you missed it, they announced that BKK would soon have free wi-fi throughout the terminal. Woo-hoo!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM

2 good things: no evil taxi drivers and free internet. Guess something good has come out of all this.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM

I had to laugh earlier this week when one of the people I follow on Twitter posted a link to a page of scams at the airport. On the top of the list were "people in yellow shirts who approach you to offer taxis. They'll charge you twice as much as the taxi rate." In other words, he was declaring AOT's own 'limo' service a scam. It may be a bit over-priced for what it is, but that's a bit harsh, don't you think?
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

I hate to confess this but I've used the services of the people in yellow. Actually they are dressed in impeccable yellow suits.

It seemed a bit incredible that Thailand, which is so dependent on tourism, would allow this kind of unchecked corruption to be going on.

Most of the story in the aol article is about Pakistan and not about Thailand. Two totally different countries.

Michael: in today's world it's hard to know whom to believe any more, there is so much rumor, innuendo, and plain fiction running around in place of the facts.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM

Michael, I read a diatribe in a travel magazine about how AOT was a scam - a taxi is 300 baht and AOT is 1200 baht "for the same thing." Of course, the scam is in the eye of the beholder. A taxi and a limo service are not the same thing but sometimes the differences escape those who believe they are always being ripped off.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM

You're exactly right, Kathie. It's all in your point of view. Some people just can't stand the idea that they may be paying more for something than someone else. I often wonder why such people even bother to travel.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM

In the early days of Suvarnabhumi the problem was AOT staff approaching passengers even before they had gone through customs, touting the AOT limo service as the "official" taxi service.

Combine this with the chaos you encountered as you exited customs and the difficulty in finding your way to the regular taxi queue (very poorly sign posted originally)and you had people paying for a service they would not have chosen if they knew there was a choice between the limo service and an everyday taxi. The inference the limo staff were making was their limos were official, legal and others i.e. ordinary meter taxis were not. First time visitors to Bangkok would eventually find you out could get to central Bangkok for less than 500 baht rather than the thousand or so for a 'limo' so despite the nicer car they would feel cheated for not being given a clear choice on what was available.

I've used the Thai Airways limo service before, very nice and not overpriced for the quality of car but I normally stick to the regular taxis as to me it's like using business or first class for an hour flight, not worth the premium. It obviously is for others or the service wouldn't exist.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM

Here's another thread on this:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...rport-scam.cfm
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Old story now about the airport cop 'scammers' that a few people are still posting on the Net as 'new' stories. CCTV video clearly showing the Britih couple stealing is here (as are others)

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/index.php

Arriving at the airport and needing a taxi - simply walk to, and queue up at, the AOT taxi booth which charges a 50baht surcharge for passengers to go into town, simple as that.