Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

ANYONE STAYED AT THE INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL BANGKOK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked at this hotel. Is it ok? Not sure about area it is in.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:47 AM

The hotel is very centrally located near the Erawan Shrine and close to the monorail. You are about 1.5 miles from the river, but in a good location for shopping and gettinmg about the city.

The hotel was formerly (until a year or so ago) the Royal Meridian hotel and stands next door to the old Meridian hotel. The hotel is only a few years old and as it used to be part of Meridien's "Royal" portfolio I would guess that it comes up to a pretty high standard.

Because Thailand's hotel's are so service orientated you will be pretty unlucky if it doesn't come up to very good standards.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:01 AM

it is just about the best located hotel in bkk. right in in the miele of everthying and next too the BTS station.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Haven't personally stayed there, but have heard it's really good. I stayed at the Siam Intercontinental until they tore it down...about two months after I left Bangkok on that particular trip...We were all in tears and in depression at the thought of it being torn down... 23 acres of tropical land smack in the middle of a city...fabulous....and peacocks strutting around....so I can't imagine an Intercontinental not being excellent...and like the old Siam Intercontinental...located near Siam Square...great location to everything...I've heard that the one you're staying at is even better located. There was no sky train in the old days... until the last time I stayed at the Siam Intercontinental. So with the Sky Train, life is MUCH easier! You'll have a ball. I leave for BK soon and can't wait to get back.Happy Travels!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Oh, forgot to add...order Nancy Chandler's map of Bangkok...an absolute MUST...Go to nancychandler.net. Everything imaginable is marked on that map...hotels,shopping malls, restaurants,etc. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM

We stayed at this hotel twice, last time being 2 yrs ago, when it was Le Royal Meridien and it was wonderful. The pool (can't remember what floor) is perfect for getting over a jetlag, both times it was quiet.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:05 PM

nancy chandler map is available in every thai bookstore and often in hotel shops and in convenience stores in tourist areas...160B i think--$4