Any recommendations for Chiang Mai?

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recommendations for Chiang Mai?

In February I will doing an OAT tour that has a couple of half days free in Chiang Mai. Any recommendations (other than shopping and eating) would be greatly appreciated. The more active the better. Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:56 PM

run up and down the stair at doi sutup at least four or five times...
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:34 PM

the nite market is great....
doi sutup (once is plenty, bob)
hire a car and driver and go out of town...
elephant camps are near by,
river rafting.... hill tribe villages arent too far
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:22 PM

Just returned - Chiang Mai was my favorite city - highly recommend a cooking class - Yui at A Lot of Thai - we had the best time - very very reasonable - learned a lot and enjoyed great food - was a highlight of the trip - be sure to leave time for massages - very cheap [don't do the hotels - just hit ones near by - got one in every day] definitely do the elephant camp -
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:24 PM

pb-tell us more-where did you eat?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:08 AM

Sorry to say I can't provide names of the local Thai places that we hit - one across from the plaza hotel was the best but if you want to treat yourself to an elegant night out for diner highly recommend Le Coq D'Or - expensive for Thailand but we found out too late that you can bring your own wine even in high end restaurants - their corkage fee was around $10.50 - that really cuts down on the total bill - your picked up and returned home by a vintage limo and the food [French] and service ranks up there with our 4star restaurants in the states it was a very memorable evening for my daughter and I

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:00 PM
CFW

If you like spa treatments, try the Oasis spa. It is truly an oasis -- in the city, but set in a garden. Best massages and treatments I had in Thailand (and that's saying something since Thai massages are extraordinary!) in a beautiful, restful setting at a reasonable price. They will also send a car to pick you up at youir hotel, so it's very convenient.

I know you didn't want restaurant recommendations, but for others who may, the Grand Lanna is fabulous. Went there on Tangata's recommendation and loved it. It's a little out of town on San Kampaeng Road, but well worth the trip. Now operated by the new Oriental Dara Devi hotel but they told us the restaurant had been there for 25 years. The setting and food couldn't be better. We also enjoyed the Whole Earth in Chiang Mai, but the Grand Lanna is in a whole different category. Not that much more expensive, but very special.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Hi ricktp,
We will be doing the OAT Thailand trip in November 2005. Will you be posting a trip report after you get home? Although we've used GCT 3 times, this is our 1st trip with OAT. Have you used them for any previous trips? Any/all info is greatly appreciated. Have a great trip!!!