Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

BKK; Is the Manohra dinner cruise( not the overnight cruise), worth doing?

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

Was wondering if any of you have done and enjoyed the Manohra dinner cruise that departs the Marriott each night?

Was thinking about and wanted some opinions. We are staying on the river and will do a klong tour as well, so if the cruise and meal are just so-so, let me know and I won't feel like I missed out on something special.

thanks a mil...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we did both the Manohra from the Marriott and the boat from the Shangri-la....liked the marriott better. shangri-la ended up very crowded, we were seated outside and after dinner,
a japanese couple and all 30 of their friends came outside to enjoy the view
and SMOKE cigerettes. it was awful,
i couldnt breathe and when seated...all
i could see were bodies crammed against the rail. the crew saw my displeasure
and actually moved our table to the rail so at least we could see the river views. marriott boat is smaller, more intimate and quite nice
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are expecting a fabulous meal this is not the place to have it...the food on most of these boats is so so...

it is nice to be up high as you ride the river which in some cases gives a different perspective from the long boats... the river is the river however....i'd rather go somewhere for a nice meal instead...
there is a nice cocktail/sunset cruise from the marriott which is quite nice and lasts only about 1 hour...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I did not take a Manohra cruise, I did see the boat repeatedly while I was staying at the Marriott earlier last month-as it was docked next to the Marriott ferry boat-it IS quite romantic and intimate-a beautiful teak boat, and tables set with white tablecloths.

I asked a couple who went on it how they liked it, and they loved it-said it was quite romantic-and the food was good, not great. At any rate, I think most people go on that cruise not for a food experience, but for the atmosphere-and that it definitely has-it looks very elegant at night cruising on the river with its little white lights.

They have their own website for reservations and info: www.manohracruises.com.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all.

I kinda knew the food was not the best, but was curious as to whether the atmoshere was worth it.

We'll see... I have so many restaurants picked out now for our trip in Aug, that we'll see even if this fits in.

Thanks for your advice....
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did the Loy Nava in November. Enjoyed it very much. Romantic and intimate. When we reserved we asked for front table and got an unrestricted view of the river, sights, musician and dancers. We saw other dinner cruises but they looked too big and too brightly lit for our tastes. Food on our cruise was plentiful and tasty. We went on cruise for atmosphere and experience and were not disappointed.