Another itinerary question-Bali

Jul 29th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Another itinerary question-Bali

First, I want to thank all of you for your information so far. Based on a recommendation (marmot) I have already booked the Deluxe Oceanview suite at The Legian. We are also set on 4S Sayan and Amanjiwo in Java.

My question is, originally we were scheduled to fly Singapore Airlines (executive economy) from Newark, originating in Chicago and stay 10 nights in Bali, 2 in Java and 2 in Singapore. But I have decided to check other options, and for a similiar price we chould fly Cathay Pacific (economy) from Chicago and instead of spending 2 nights in Singapore at the end of the trip, we would spend 3 nights in Hong Kong.

I can't decide which is better. I have read alot about Singapore and Hong Kong and I would like to visit both someday. It seems to me thought, Hong Kong would be more interesting.

Would I really be sacrificing comfort on the flight to go to Hong Kong instead? Is the payoff it.

We have flow Singapore Airlines before in regular economy and were very happy with the confort/service. Is the Cathay Pacific economy class comparable to Singapore Air's?

I know Executive economy is much better than the regular ecomony but I'm just trying to get an idea of what Cathay Pacific is like.

Thank you already for all your help, and hopefully I can get this booked finally.
We are traveling Oct 26-Nov11 this year.
Jul 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM

I have flown Cathay Pacific to Bali via Hong Kong, but my US portal city was Los Angeles, so I don't know if they use the same planes on the Chicago route. You could probably find this out on the web site. I found the economy seats to be reasonably adequate in space, although one inevitably feels a bit hemmed in on such a long flight, especially if not seated on an aisle. Th service was efficient and courteous. Each passenger has a private tv screen on the back of the seat in the next row, so there are always plenty of viewing options. The food was good out of LAX, less so on the way back, and they served lots of snacks throughout. Each passenger got a little bag of amenities including toothbrush and toothpaste, sleep mask, and little stretch socks. I would not hesitate to fly Cathay Pacific again.
Jul 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM

i can only say that i find hong kong a much more interesting city and more beautiful..it is also the peak time to be in HK....

only you can say which airline suits you better....both are excellent by reputation
Jul 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM

I've flown both SQ and CX longhauls many, many times but only in business. For my money, SQ gets the edge. CX isn't bad, but SQ is better. My son the student who is usually in the back of the bus concurs. And SQ's non-stop EWR to SIN is very good. (Never taken the new CX nonstop NY to HK, though.)

I like both Singapore and Hong Kong, a lot. I lived in HK for several years and agree that it has more to offer than Singapore, but for two/three days? You could easily fill up your time with interesting activities in either one.

Hong Kong is more International + Chinese; Singapore International + SE Asian + Chinese. Both have worldclass hotels, good food and good shopping. Neither is especially arts or culture oriented. They try, but it's not where their hearts are.

Aside from the airline choice, I would say that after Bali and Java you might find Hong Kong a bit overwhelming. It's one of the most dynamic cities in the world -- and that means crowded, polluted, frantic, fast moving -- a lot like New York. Not a bad thing, but can be a bit jarring after a week in the rice paddies! Singapore is more relaxed and gracious.

So my advice, go with SQ and Singapore and save Hong Kong for another, longer trip, maybe in conjunction with China.
Jul 30th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Not on point but a great choice in The Legian Suites .Stayed there last year and besides the superb suite the concierge was great and the poolside snacks delivered to the bale on the sand even better.I hope you have a wonderful time at it .
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

The Cathay Pacific flight connects through eigher LAX or SFO and then to Hong Kong and on to Bali. With this flight we have one more stopover but the travel time seems similiar. Thanks for the information.
Jul 30th, 2005, 08:48 PM

I have flown both in economy and IMO service is better in SQ but planes are better on Cathay. I would choose a HK layover over S'pore. We just got stranded for 4 days in Sinagpore due Mumbai being flooded and I can honestly say I think I would have been happier in HK. What hotel are you looking at in HK?
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I think I am leaning toward SQ flight through SIN. I just realized that with the miles I will get on the SQ flight in my United account, I will have enough for our flights (possibly to India) next year. Although I really want to go to Hong Kong. I guess there is always next time.

Thanks for the advice.