Hong Kong or Singapore?

Search

Hong Kong or Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong or Singapore?

Travelling from London to Sydney and have the option of a free stopover(will probably stay 3 nights) Which city would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Si

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Both Hong Kong and Singapore are wonderful cities, but very different from each other. You will have plenty to do in either place for three days. I'd suggest that you do a search on this board for each city and read about recommended activities. That will give you a bit more flavor for which you would enjoy most.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Both are great cities, but if you've never been to either and have to choose one, I can't imagine choosing Singapore over HONG KONG!!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:41 PM

Although HK is by no means "China" HK has more of an "Asian" feel to it (assuming of course that that is what you're after).

Singpore is a great city but IMO it just doesn't have the depth of history and culture that HK has to offer.

Singapore does offer a mix of ethnic areas that may appeal if you are looking for more of a mix - Little India, Malay Village, China town etc.

For me the choice would be HK. I've been to Singapore once (for a week) and wouldn't bother to do it a second time, but I never tire of HK.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM

First question, can you fly non-stop from London to either city? If you have to make a change of planes to get to one, I would skip that one, as your flight is already going to be long enough. Second question, is it possible to do a stopover on the way out and the way back? That way, you could see both. They are quite different cities. Would be a very interest contrast to see both.

I have lived in both, and would give the slight edge to Hong Kong as a tourist destination as it has the mountains and the harbour and is a bit more bustling. However, time of year would be a factor in my decision. Summers are really, really hot and really humid in Hong Kong, which can make touring more exhausting than Singapore which is just hot and humid all the time. Hong Kong also has a lot of rain, esp. in the summer months and into the fall, and can get typhoons. The real shame would be to get there and be stuck in your hotel for 2 days if there is a typhoon. Singapore has a bit of a rainy season around Christmas. Conversely, mid-November to mid-March are perfect weather in Hong Kong.

There are some interesting holidays which are unique to each country, so again time of year is a factor. Thaipusam in Singapore (generally in February or early March) is something to behold as devout Hindus pierce themselves and walk for miles carrying headdresses. Deevali (Hindu New Year, generally November) is celebrated at temples and the streets of Singapore, but you won't see much in Hong Kong. The Mid-Autumn festival in Hong Kong in September is quite beautiful, esp in Victoria Park when everyone is out with a lantern. Both have Dragon Boat festivals in June, but Singapore's are more accessible and are in a nicer setting, IMO. If you like rugby, each has a Rugby 7 tournament, Hong Kong's is usually in mid to late March and Singapore's is generally in early April. Chinese New Year in either is great (January or February), but the fireworks in Hong Kong harbour are hard to beat, and the weather is great.

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Are u aware of the bird flu around HK region?
Singapore is not a bad choice for the time being.Its a gateway to several countries. Hop on our train/coach and ur there in malaysia. Further north and ur in Thailand.
Hop on a ferry from Singapore pier and 45 mins, ur in Indonesia.
Not bad , huh.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM

Even if muzzy31 is a chicken (or duck, or goose) he will probably be ok as long as he stays in Kowloon or H.K. Island.

So, the reason to go to Singapore is because it's easy to go someplace else from there (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia)?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:45 PM

AS Mr.W. says, The bird flu is not a reason to postpone any travel, with the possible exception of if you are a chicken (literally). Also, a three day stay is just enough to se some of the most popular sights in either city. Obviously, being "close" to Thailand (a couple of hours by air) isn't a reason to have a three day trip to Singapore. With the new visa regulations in Indonesia a day trip to Bintan becomes much more difficult, requiring a visa in advance.

Really, you'll enjoy either city, but they are very different from each other.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Unless muzzy31 is a migratory bird, I really don't see any reason to be concerned. Avian flu is not like SARS. And any place that tourists visit will be an urban area since I doubt any farms are open to visitors.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Definitely Hong Kong.
Even my friends in Singapore always want to try to get every means to live in Hong Kong permanently!

So you can tell huh?