Another Hong Kong Hotel Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting a little burned out on research I have to admit. My wife is headed to Hong Kong for business and her trip is kind of split into two parts. She is going to have a few days in Hong Kong, then she is going to Huizhou for three days on business, then two more days back in Hong Kong.

For the first two nights I booked her at the YMCA Salisbury in a harbor view room which by all accounts will be a fun first experience in Hong Kong.

For her return to Hong Kong I was thinking it might be nice to book her at a different hotel on the Honk Kong main island side for another experience. The hotels I was considering was on the top end of our budget, the JW Marriott and on the more friendly end of our budget, the Metropark Hotel. I'd like her to stay at a nice place and I'm wondering if the JW Marriott ($266 a night) is that much nicer then the Metropark ($131 Night) and if the location is more convenient to major sites, shopping and resteraunts. She's not super adventurous and doesn't love to travel alone so I'm basically going to have to draw out an itinerary for her.

Or I could simply book her back at the YMCA Salisbury to take in more of those views.

Anyway, any thoughts would be really helpful. I promise not to clog up the board with follow up questions on things to do. I've printed out tons of the many helpful posts for that (Thanks Cicerone, rkkwan and others...)
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:24 AM

Kind of a hard question. I think that the Marriott is a more luxurious hotel, and also that the rooms will be bigger. Some of the Marriott rooms have very nice views. I believe some of the Metropark rooms have nice views as well. The Marriott has a very nice outdoor pool which is a big plus here now. The Metropark seems to have a nice rooftop pool, but not having seen it, I can’t compare; it does not appear to have many lounge chairs or a sitting area. I think either may be preferable over the Y for this reason for a change because it is beastly hot. (The Y has only an indoor pool that is little industrial IMO, one of the slight drawbacks to this otherwise perfectly nice place.)

Assuming she will have seen a good bit of the main tourist things like the Peak, Star Ferry, etc on the first trip, the Marriott’s location (which is normally much better for that) is not so great an advantage as it might be. I like the Marriott location as it is close to the Star Street area in Wan Chai which has some great restaurants (maybe not so important on a solo journey) and the fast-disappearing veg/meat/fruit open-air markets esp the Wan Chai market. These areas are fun to wander and there are two temples in the area. It’s also on a pretty major bus line. The Marriott is close to Hong Kong Park, but the Metropark is close to Victoria Park (not as close as the Marriott which is virtually IN the park). The Marriott is part of a very nice shopping center, but I don’t think that will matter much really as she can see all the same shops at home other than the big Japanese department store (Sogo) and the very nice Lane Crawford department store. The Metropark is in Causeway Bay and would be walkable to some of the discount stall areas of Jardine’s Bazar which might be fun. There is a major Tin Hau temple nearby that is interesting.

I would say I have a feeling she would spend more time on the MTR (subway) at the Metropark than she would if she would at the Marriott, I think she would and could walk to more things if she were at the Marriott.

Have you tried the Bishop Lei in mid-levels? They would be cheaper than the Marriott and they have an outdoor pool. They are near the mid-levels escalator which is always nice, she can walk down to the wonderful Soho area or Central or take a bus or taxi down quite quickly. It is in a quieter residential neighborhood so it might be nice to get a feel for a place were people live after being on busy Salisbury Road in Kowloon. Very nice views from many rooms. Take a look at http://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk. Rooms tend to be small, so take the largest room you can afford, the Harbour View suites are quite nice and about the same price as the Metropark for a larger room and a very good location in mid-levels above Central.

Old May 30th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Cicerone has summarized it pretty well. Just want to add that the Metropark is adjacent to Tin Hau MTR, which is one stop from Causeway Bay. It's quite a walk in the heat with stuff you've bought after shopping, but not worth it to take the MTR. [And the Tramway can be crowded with no A/C.] So, you may find yourself looking for a taxi going back to the hotel even from just Causeway Bay.

I won't call the Marriott "in Hong Kong Park". The Marriott is in the same complex as the Conrad and Island Shangri-La; but while Shang has its front door facing the park, the Conrad faces the courthouse and the Marriott further down. You can easily go through the Pacific Place complex to the Shangri-La, and go out from there though.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Given the OP's description of his wife as "not super adventurous and doesn't love to travel alone," I'd strongly recommend the Marriott. There are an enormous number of places there where a solo traveler can enjoy meals without having to step outside: in addition to the hotel restaurants, the Pacific Place mall has a dozen or more spots where single diners would feel very comfortable.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM

rkwan, I work in Pacific Place and know the layout of it very well. You can exit the front door of the Marriott and turn left, then right onto Supreme Court drive, walk uphill about 20 meters, turn right and be at the park entrance. You can exit the Marriott doors, turn right, walk about 25 meters and be in the sculpture park that leads to a short flight of stairs into the park. You don't have to go through the Mall or the Shangri-La hotel to get to the park from the Marriott. I would actually therefore call the hotel IN the park.

The park actually cotintiues around and behind both the Shang and the Marriott and the Supreme Court to the east, it is still a bit undeveloped at this point, but the Asia Society is buiding its new headquarters there and there will be a new entrance from Supreme Court Road in the next 12 months or so which will also extend the park a bit.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:07 AM

I am staying at the Metropark Causeway Bay right now - paying US$95 per night - booked through Hoteltravel.com.

We got a sea-view room. Actually one side of the hotel faces Central/Kowloon so you get a view of a bit the mountain in the HK side, and also a partial harbour view. The other side faces the hill-side of HK. I was a bit surprised that they would give us a harbour view room even though we booked the cheapest, standard double room.

The Metropark is certainly not the same class as the Marriott, but the staff are friendly and the rooms are adequate - not luxurious. I went to the top floor to look at the pool. The view from the top floor is very nice.

At this weather I find it a bit hot to walk from Causeway Bay (west side of Victoria Park) back to the htoel in the day time. In the evening it is fine.

BTW - internet at the business center of the hotel is free. Not many hotels do that.

Also - if that's important to you - there are 2 dry-ceaners within a block, and laundry by the pound is only HK$30 per pound!! next day pick up.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM

Bidding for a "name your price" property at the 5* level in the "west Hong Kong island" area on Priceline will almost certainly get you the Marriott. A bit of research on sites such as Bidding For Travel will give you an indication of bidding strategies that may prove successful
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM

JW Marriott (Admiralty/Central)- Mostly wealthy people and expats hang out, very quiet at night except Lan Kwai Fong, $$$

Metropark (Causeway Bay)- Hip locals, lively, more variety of shops and restaurants

The location of Metropark is not as convenient as other Causeway Bay hotels like Park Lane (my fav) or the Excelsior.

Causeway Bay is generally crowded but much more so on Saturdays and day time on Sundays. Might be a bit overwhelming for anyone not used to crowds.

Admiralty/Central area are mainly offices. Shops there generally close earlier than other areas.