Ankor Wat –Temple overload

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Siem Reap to visit Ankor Wat. It seems the opinion of many that around 3 days is about right for seeing it.

But I wonder if after 2 days or so(keeping in mind the mid-day Siesta) does one temple starts to resemble the next?! Did anybody feel like that at Ankor Wat after a while?

I know I experienced that recently while visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum. After a while the buildings just were not as jaw dropping as they seemed in the beginning!

Thanks for any help
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM

3 days in Angkor is about right for the Angkor complex, but I would strongly recommend adding a 4th day to see some of the outlying temples which are smaller, but no less spectacular. This is one site that really does deserve the description "wonder of the world". Pompeii does not compare!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM

this is good advice...we had 3 days but should have had an extra day to see outlying temples which many consider to be the best...

to your question....no they never start to look the same....this is how i fell about wats in se asia...but angkor area is different somehow...i do think that by cramming too much into too few days that you may suffer from this however...spreading it out helps to aleviate this...doing different things in between, like the artists school helps to break it up...our driver took us for a long drive one afternoon, after visit the artisan school (the one outside of town)...we went a back road through places where the local people live...it was the most interesting part of our trip...
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:04 PM

You raise an excellent point, princess, and there are widely diverging views on that topic, particularly on this board. I spent 3 days in Siem Riep, 1 day at Angkor Wat, and that was good enough for me-they absolutely DID begin to look the same at the end of the day, and the law of diminishing returns absolutely set in. I could only take one day. Remember, Angkor Wat is an archaeological site, not a working temple, or "wat" as they are called in S.E. Asia. The structures at Angkor Wat, in my view, all pretty much look the same after a while, except for the different types of carvings, etc. that you find in the different sections of the complex.

Wats, on the other hand, I can never get enough of-each one is different, lovely with gleaming gold and cut glass-each holds its special charms, but I am not a fan of Siem Riep the village, and although I'm glad I saw Angkor Wat, I would not feel the need to ever go back.

Princess: if you want to see other threads on this topic, do a search for Angkor Wat in the search box.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:49 PM

I was at Angkor 18 months ago. I was also worried about being templed out after 3 days. I did however want to get a good look at the place. I think the best thing that I did was to hire a guide - one who was recommended a lot on this forum. She was fantastic - made everything very interesting and gave us all the information that we could take - I could also she her assessing when to stop! So although we spent 3 very full days (including a short and necessary siesta) at the temples we came away thinking it had been great and not at all overwhelming. I'm sure if we didn't have the guide I would have found that everything was a bit too much after a fairly short time. We also had best part of a day in Siem Reap before we went to the temples and a further full day after - I'd strongly recommend a bit of time extra if you can.

Unfortunately temple tickets are sold as either 1, 3 or 7 day passes - you have to use them on consecutive days. A 3 day pass that you could use over a longer time would be wonderful - give you time for a bit of a break - but the powers that be won't allow it.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM

i did sometimes feel like i was getting too much info from the guide, so i asked him to scale it back...too much info for me takes away from enjoying the place for what it is...don't be afraid to ask for less info...
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:48 AM

Everyone is different. I spent a week at Angkor and loved every minute. Remember we are talking about dozens of temples. Buy yourself a good guidebook to the temples, I always recommend Dawn Rooney's book, "Angkor" but there are several others, like Michael Freeman's book (though a bit large for carrying around the temples). After reading the book do you want more time at Angkor or less? That should be a good test.

Three days is the generally accepted time it takes to see all the major temples. I found I loved many of the so-called minor temples, where we were often the only visitors.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM

To rhkkmk: where and what is the name of the artisans' school OUTSIDE of Siem Reap. I have read here about the one in REP. WHat is the difference, what kinds of crafts are for sale and what are the prices like? thanks. Jan
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:38 PM

Hi Jan

The school is called Les Artisans D'Angkor. Its just to the west of the Old Market - about 10 to 15 minute walk at the most - there are signs. From the old market head west,cross the main road (about 2 blocks) and turn left and then right and its down that road - just a lane really. They will give you a tour around the school if you want. The work is generally good - they only see the better work - the trainees stuff must end up in the markets. So the prices are usually on the high side compared to the market - I seem to recall about $60 to $100US for a good head.

If you are going on to Phnom Phen then the museum there also had some good heads at good prices.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM

they have two locations...the one in town and the one way out past the airport....i found the one way outside town much more interesting...its sort of a large farm type place, rather than the traditional school place...i would visit both....huge store in the country as well...