Angkor Wat-hiking boots needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending 3 days in Angkor Wat in November. I want to ensure that I have the best footwear for walking around the ruins. I have heard that hiking boots are not really needed for just walking around the ruins, and want to find out if hiking sandals (such as Teva) would be OK, or if I should get somjething a bit more "sturdy" such as a hiking shoe or a keen hiking sandal that is closed toed.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM

My husband loves his Keen's. I'd think some toe protection would be nice, but hiking boots maybe too much unless you plan on doing real hiking/trekking elsewhere.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM

I agree that a hiking boot would be too heavy. You want something light weight but that provides some toe protection. The Keen hiking sandal sounds like just the thing!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM

I wore Keen Venice H2 sandals for the toe protection and hubby wore his open toe Tevas. We were both happy with our choices. Hiking boots would have been miserable in that heat!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I wore flip-flops and had no problems.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM

kaley1kt:

On Kathie's advice in Feb '06 my wife and I bought a pair on Merrell Jungle Mocs for our se asia trip. We went to Siem riep, bangkok, golden triangle,tokyo and kyoto for 30 days. They were fantastic! I got the brown leather finish ones while mrs ht got the black suede. Very comfortable with lots of support and protection. In siem riep I think you'll need more than sandals or flip flops because of all the dirt. The leather ones I had were perfect as you could just wipe off the dust from the day and use them at night as a dress shoe. In bangkok, we stayed at the Oriental, Four Seasons and Bob's place so I would just put the shoes in the shine box, call the butler and 20 minutes later I would have a freshly shined and cleaned pair of shoes

Aloha!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM

big heavy boots not needed.
Most of the "hiking" is walking across muddy pathways and on stone.

Good comfyu sneakers are just fine. Sandals/flip-flops would have been no good for me.

www.waynehazle.com/seasia/
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM

I'm with Kim and LA. Keens are great! They are like a hiking boot with ventilation in terms of traction. I need the toe coverage because I am a bit of a clutz and don't like to stub my toes!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:32 PM

I wore my lightweight Puma walking sneakers for three days of temple exploration and they were perfectly comfortable. Like everyone else says, it is too hot for hiking boots.