Angkor Wat cash and luggage weight

Dec 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM
jat
Original Poster

Angkor Wat cash and luggage weight

I am wondering how much money in U.S. currency and what denominations to take to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat. From reading posts, it seems that given the lack of ATMs I should bring plenty of U.S. dollars but I am reluctant to carry around a lot of cash in Thailand for a week before going to Angkor Wat. Any advice? Also, do they check the weight of bags on Bangkok Air and Thai Air (official weight limit is 44 pounds)? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Yes, they will check your baggage weight. WHile sometimes , if a flight isn't full, they won't bother you, be prepared to have your luggage weighed.

For Cambodia, you'll want lots of small bills of US dollars, plenty of ones and fives. You'll need some larger bills (20s) for your temples pass, Cambodian Visa, and to pay your driver (and guide if you hire one). Does you hotel or guesthouse accept credit cards? If so, you can eliminate taking cash for that expense.
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM
jat
Original Poster

Yes, the hotel takes credit cards. How many ones and fives would you suggest? Also, if we don't eat in the hotel restaurant, do you have an estimate of how much meals might cost? Many thanks!
Dec 29th, 2004, 10:08 AM

i took all denominations...i used basically ones and fives...also some tens and twenties....mostly the small stuff...no ATM's at all....its a cash economy and basically US...its a pain to carry around...i got a safe in thailand in the lobby, not the room, and left the money there before my time in cambodaia...i had a real wad....i came away with quite a bit...i used $50's to pay the guide and driver...our hotel took credit cards, but the smaller ones do not...

we left most of our luggage at our last hotel in bangkok and picked it up upon our return...much easier and safer...less hastle...you do not have to be returning to that hotel to do it...just leave it and tell them you will be back in a few days...
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM

You wouldn't necessarily have to carry the cash around for a week in Thailand. Get it from the ATM at BKK before departure for Siem Reap. I went to Angkor Wat in December 1999 - I can't remember how much cash we took and everything probably costs more now!
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:38 PM
sandi

There are plenty of ATMs in Thailand, and most hotels, restaurants (not very small places) to get local currency and take credit cards. With this in mind you only need USD for tipping a guide or driver, otherwise, the Thai Baht you get from the ATMs will pay for everything else.

While USD are preferred in Cambodia, they do take Thai Baht. So if you have left over Baht, you can spend this in Siem Reap. And you will find the prices in REP are very inexpensive, that you don't really needs wads of USD, we certainly didn't. You don't mention whether your hotel in REP is prepaid, or your fees to the temples, guide and driver; nor for how many days you'll be at Angkor. So try to figure out what you'll need for the number of days and that's what you need. Small denomination bills, none larger then a $20. And don't forget what you might need for shopping at the markets - here they also prefer USD.

Unlike you, we arrived BKK and the following morning left for REP for two days. We had stayed at an airport hotel and left our major luggage here, taking only a backpack which was perfect and certainly underweight. Just bear in mind that it is extremely hot and humid in Thailand and Cambodia, so it's a good idea to have extra t-shirts (and even "wears") as after touring - mornings & afternoons - you'll be wet to your skin. When we returned to BKK to continue our time in Thailand, we picked up our stored luggage (at no fee by the hotel) and went on our way.

I gather you will be returning to BKK for your homebound flight after the visit to REP - remember, there is a 500 Baht departure fee everytime you leave Thailand - when you go to REP, and then when you finally leave Thailand. Though we didn't fly Thai Air (rather on United), our bags were probably within the weight limits on arrival, but certainly overweight when departing. United did check my bags (though not my travel partners') and there was no problem with the excess weight. Rarely (though not never) have we had a problem with weight departing a country we've visited - hey, we just assisted their economy by leaving money behind - that's not to say, that some agent might be picky, picky. So just bear that in mind.

Dec 29th, 2004, 01:43 PM

While you can use Thai baht in Cambodia, the preferred currency is the US dollar. As a result, most people report that they pay less for things in dollars than what they would pay in baht. (A good example of this is getting a visa - in baht, the price works out to be about $5 more than in US dollars). Like Bob, I brought US dollars from home and kept them in a hotel safe (in my room) until leaving for Cambodia.
Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:53 AM

I hope that your trip with Thai Air was more satisfactory than mine. MIne was a nightmare. I flew TA for a trip to Europe and on my return flight, I was 20kg over weight. This was my first time traveling between Asia and Europe. I usually fly to/from the USA) So, I traveled per piece rather than per kg. I was shocked when they told me the fee would be $1200. In addition, the reps at the airport were rude and not one of them were helpful or offered any suggestions for my dilema.

Later I found out that a young, blond European colleague recently traveled Thai Air and was overweight by 20kg but she was only charged $40.

I can not find a fee schedule for excess baggage, but it certainly seems disrectionary and maybe even discriminatory.

Anyone, know about the excess baggage fees with Thai Air.
Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:03 AM

I remember reading someones post about Siem Reap and making sure not to exchange money at hotels(bad exchange rate). But after reading this it seems that one doesn't even need the local currency? Is that correct? What about little things like a drink or bottled water at a grocery store. US dollars as well?
Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:50 AM

It's true that there is no reason to exchange money into riel in Cambodia. If you buy small items, they will give you riel in change for your US dollars. You'll want to get rid of all your riel before leaving Cambodia as it is worthless outside of Cambodia.
Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM

generally everything is for sale in dollars around SR....you get mixed change...or they ask you or you can ask...