Reload this Page >

ATM'S IN LUANG PROBANG AND SIEM REAP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:55 PM
BARBARA

ARE ATM'S AVIALABLE IN LUANG PROBANG AND SIEM REAP - WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CARRY FUNDS - TRAVELLERS CHECKS?

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:15 PM
John G

I was just in Siem Riep in July and I did not notice any ATM machines, but Im not saying there aren't any, as there are banks. Another thing about ATMs in Siem Riep: if they do exist, I would think that they would distribute riels, which you don't want to use as EVERYONE wants US dollars. If I were you, Barb, I would either use a credit card or dollars as far as Siem Riep goes. Sorry, never been to Luang Prebang.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Marilyn

As of last December when I was there, there were no ATM's in the country of Cambodia at all. Getting a cash advance on your credit card or changing travelers checks will require a visit to a bank. <BR><BR>We take US dollars, including lots of singles, as there is very little that you cannot pay for in dollars. (You actually pay for your Cambodian visa at the airport with US$20.) Better hotels and restaurants will take credit cards as well, and charge you in US dollars, not Cambodian riels. <BR><BR>If you want to change a small amount of dollars into riels you should be able to do so at a local shop without any hassle. We used to change about $5 a day into riels and give it away to the unfortunate beggars who are often land mine victims.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Kathie

John G and Marilyn are correct that there are no ATMs in Cambodia or Laos. Carry cash or travelers chacks. In Cambodia, the US dollar is the currency preferred. Almost everything is priced in US dollars. I took 100 $1 bills with me to pay for things from vendors, etc. You'll get any change in riel, and I, like Marilyn used it to give to beggars or as offerings at temples.<BR><BR>In Laos, you will need kip, and can change either cash or travelers checks in kip.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:13 PM
orgy7

I remember reading THE BANGKOK POST.. and it said that Vientian Laos. just got thier first ATM in late April of this year... And it didn't exchange much.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Kathie

You are correct that there is now an ATM in Laos, but it is usable only by those who have Laotian bank accounts. there is still no ATM in Laos (or Cambodia) that is tied to an international network.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Andrea

For a lot of things, like the daily rate you negotiate with your guide, or restaurants with prices printed in US on the menu, USD is fine.<BR><BR>I do recommend that you exchange SOME riels, because there are lots of things that cost less than one dollar, or might really only cost 1 - 2 dollars, but because you're "bargaining" in USD, you'll end up paying much more.<BR><BR>Throughout Asia, American tourists pay with US $1, and because it's a small amount of money, don't think twice about paying with them or are happy picking things up for $1, $5, $7, etc. But if they'd negotiated in the local currency, they could have paid (for the same items) literally 13 cents, $2, or $3.<BR><BR>For example, bottled water costs 500 riel, which is about 13 cents US - meaning that if you pay $1, you should really be getting 7 bottles of water - but more typically, two American tourists will pay $1 for two bottles of water. <BR><BR>It's the same for souveniers. Let's say you're looking at a small wooden carving - if you start bargaining in riels, you & the shopkeeper might settle on a price of 8,000 riel, which is about $2 (once you've settled on a price in riels, or are getting close, it's a good negotiating tactic to switch over to US, because they do prefer it). If you start bargain in USD, however, the shopkeeper will probably start at US $15, and you'll be thrilled that you bargained him down to US $7.<BR><BR>There is a fair enough argument that if you're happy paying the $7, you should just go ahead and do so, thus giving the local person more money and still paying a price you're happy with - that's absolutely fine, but it seems a bit much to me, for example, to pay a price equivalent to 7 bottles of water for 2.<BR><BR>At any rate, have a fabulous time!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:27 PM
orgy7

ANDREA you have made a mistake on the lao currency or should be in the Barzilian forum. Lao's currency is the KIP. and 8000 kip = 1.05 US dollars...<BR><BR>but I don agree with you that dealing in local cash is best..

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:31 PM
orgy7

NOPe I messed up.. When I heard Riel I just thought about brazil not Cambodia, since the brazilian currency is called REAL.. trust me I've never said I was the smartest guy here..

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:53 AM
John G

I totally disagree with Andrea. Nowhere in Siem Riep did anyone charge me more because I paid in dollars. For example, if I bought a can of COKE and paid for it with a dollar, I was either given riels as change or told I could have 3 cans for 1 dollar. Same thing with water. And as for bargaining, there is very little of it in Siem Riep. You cannot bargain at Les Chantiers Ecoles, nor at the shops in the expensive hotels, which carry the highest quality goods in Siem Riep. You can bargain at the little stalls opposite Angkor Wat, or at the Central Market. But, it you think you are going to get 6x4 piece of Cambodian silk for 1 dollar, you are crazy. The vendor might lower the price of quality goods by 1 or 2 dollars, but that is it. This is MY experience, MY opinion.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Marilyn

John G, I agree that you cannot bargain at the more expensive shops in Siem Reap, although my husband did have the nerve to try in the gift shop of the Grand Hotel (excuse me, is there a hole in the floor I could conveniently drop through?).<BR><BR>But most people will have interactions with the vendors at the temples and the market, and you are expected to bargain there. I have bargained for everything from a Coke to quite expensive pieces of jewelry and gotten a better price. You just have to assume, as in so many other places, that the initial price quoted is way above true value. So I think that there is, in fact, a LOT of bargaining that goes on when you are visiting Cambodia. <BR><BR>And I think Andrea is correct that paying for small things in riels is sometimes a lot cheaper. The fact is, $1 is the smallest unit of US currency used. So the price for a ride on the back of a motorbike, for a can of Coke, for many many things is "one dollar".

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:48 AM
John G

I never said you don't bargain in Cambodia. I said that bargaining doesn't bring down the price that much by US standards. For example, when I was in China, the vendors would always start out with an outrageous price for an object (like $8 for a $1 baseball cap with GREAT WALL embroidered on it) then move down the scale. I found that in Cambodia, the most I could bargain anyone down was maybe $3 at the most for something nice, like a piece of Cambodian silk. I NEVER had to bargain for water or COKE or food in Siem Riep-- Maybe because I had a private guide who was standing nearby and the vendors were afraid to gouge me??? Who knows.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Marilyn

Actually, John, you said: "And as for bargaining, there is very little of it in Siem Riep." I addressed that part of your statement because I found it to be contrary to my experience.<BR><BR>I dislike bargaining but was able to get a beautiful gold bracelet for about 10% less than the starting price. Definitely worth it.<BR><BR>It's not exactly that we bargained for soda or water, but the vendor often started with "1 dollar" for a coke or bottle of water. Only when we said, no, that's too much, we need to get 2 cokes for $1, did they agree on the lower price. I think they will take what they can get, basically, and if you don't know the going rate, so much the better for them. (Not that I blame them for this, by the way.) We, too, had our driver nearby, but we found the most effective method was to send the boy who helped carry our gear for drinks etc. He always got the right price!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Connie Lingus

Jesus Christ, Marilyn, you saved a whopphing ten percent on a gold bracelet, so what did you really end up saving, four stinking dollars?? What kills me is the goddamn rich Americans who will pay 12 dollars for a glass of wine in restaurant in Los Angeles, but scream their bloody heads off if they are overcharged 50 cents for a Pepsi in a foreign country. You suck.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Marilyn

Wow, Connie, off our meds again? If you thought my post was "screaming my bloody head off" you better get a grip on reality. There actually IS a market price for bottled water and soda, and I clearly stated that I didn't object to the vendors trying to get what they could. <BR><BR>Since you have no idea what I do with my money, aren't you jumping the gun, in a foaming-at-the-mouth sort of way?<BR><BR>I hardly think I screwed the woman who sold me the bracelet. She was thrilled to make a $300 sale. And on my two trips to Cambodia we gave generously to a variety of people. We carried a duffle bag of clothes to give away to the poorest kids, we brought tons of stuff to give away to kids like pencils and stickers, we tipped our wonderful driver a week's salary, and we have been sending money and gifts to the boy who helped us carry our gear. We changed money every day to give to beggars. <BR><BR>Sure, we are astoundingly wealthy compared to most of the people in Siem Reap, but so are you. What is your approach? If you go up to a vendor to buy a drink and they tell you it's $5, do you pay that no matter what? <BR><BR>I don't happen to live in LA and I don't drink $12 glasses of wine and I am offended by your insults and your lunatic diatribe. And I post under my real name, chickenshit.