Angkor Wat

Mar 1st, 2002, 06:40 PM
Martha Ferguson

Angkor Wat

Has anyone traveled to Angkor Wat with Overseas Adventure Travel as part of a trip to Thailand? I really want to see the temples, but wonder if enough time is allowed to see the Angkor Wat temples. Can anyone recommend a good company for such a tour?
Thanks!

Mar 1st, 2002, 08:47 PM
Jayavarman 0

There is absolutely NO need for anyone to book with a tour company to see the ruins at Angkor. From Bangkok you simply get RT tickets to Siem Reap, get your visa on arrival (Have $$ and passport foto on hand), pick up a cab at the airport, head for town (10 minutes away), ask the hotel or inn to recommend a driver (usually $20.00 a day for a car; scooters are cheaper), get your permits on your first day (driver will attend to this: $20 a day; $40 for 3 days; $60 for a week) and enjoy the ruins. They are awesome! There are many different levels of accomodation in Siem Reap. My favorites are Secrets of the Elephants, La Noria and Red Piano. All three have websites (w/pictures) which can be found by doing a google search. By hiring your own driver you can tailor your own itinerary, or, ask him (usually male) to suggest one knowing what your interests might be....Traveling to Siem Reap on one's own is not an intimidating experience in the least!

Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Martha Ferguson

Thank you so much for your helpful information! I like your idea of doing it on my own, so that I can have as much time as I want to view the temples.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:50 PM
Kathie

I agree! It's very easy to arrange this on your own. I was recently in Siem Reap. and spent 6 days viewing the temples. I could have used even more time.

I'd recommend the Angkor Village Resort. Check it out at www.angkor-village.com It's a lovely place, built in Cambodian-style. It has lovely water gardens, a nice restaurant, and even a small swimming pool (for which I was very grateful at the end of each hot day of climbing temples!)

My traveling companion put together a website of our photos and some commentary (it's still a work in progress). Take a look at www.marlandc.com

Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:48 PM
lcuy

cheryl- great web site!!Thanks for sharing it! Just out of curiosity, how much were tickets from Bangkok to Siem Reap? and how long is the travel time?

Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:27 PM
Not Cheryl

Air fare (Bangkok Air) is/was $250.00 RT. I had to pay a few dollars for what they call an anti-terrorist tax plus the usual 500 baht departure tax. The flight is very short (less than an hour) and sweet. Getting a visum in Siem Reap was a very organized affair.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:32 PM
:) zzzzz.....

When in Siem Reap you must try a happy pizza. Several places in town serve it and it is entirely legal. I had the best sleep of my life that evening...

Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:33 AM
Suzanne

Dear Martha,

I would agree with the other postings -- a tour company is not only unnecessary, it is not a good way to really see Angkor. I was there 3 days in July 2001, which was not enough time, but I'll be going back next year. I would highly LY (family name) Ponheary (given name) as a guide. She is a registered guide and can be contacted on by email [email protected]

This women is fluent in English and French and is very knowledgeable about the sites. You should beware that there are lots of people offering their services as guides, but many lack the language capability or have memorized a set dialogue for each site. Guides are necessary in order to gain a full appreciation of the historical, archeological and religious importance of the Angkor area. She will also arrange your car and driver, as well as hotel/pension if you like.

Enjoy your trip. You are wise to be going in the near future because if the country remains stable, tourism is going to overrun Siem Reap.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information.

Mar 5th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Gar

take a look at

www.talesofasia.com

this guy have put all infos about this part of Asia You can get. Very nice pics too.
have fun
Gar