Search

Angkor Guide

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angkor Guide

I was wondering if anybody could help. We are going to Seim reap in two weeks (March 8-11) and we have tried to contact Ponheary as our Guide when we are there. We have not heard from her and where wondering if anybody has a phone number where we can reach her or any other way of reaching her.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Hi Princess,

I have a couple of numbers for Ponheary which may get her or at the least her guesthouse (Marina Villa) unless she has changed them recently. (855) 012 910 759 and also (855) 012 785 422. Hope this is a help. She is a great guide.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM

Greetings Princess,

Based on all the positive Fodor postings we contacted Ponheary last August to arrange for her or her brother Dara as a guide to Angkor Wat. My husband and I planned a three day tour, Feb 14 - 17, 2005. There were several subsequent emails back and forth with the final reconfirmation on Feb 4 prior to our departure. Upon arrival we were greeted by a substitute guide and informed Pon was ill. Pon did call to apologize that night as we were checking into the hotel. In spite of my initial annoyance and disappointment about the substitution our guide proved to be a true gem. Maray Seng was our guide ([email protected]), tel: 855-12-630-309. Maray has excellent communication skills but it was his knowledge, humor and intuitiveness which enhanced our experience. Maray knew how to avoid the crowds, pointed out the spots for great photos, provided insight, helped us at the pharmacy, laundry and much more. I hope your Angkor experience is as memorable as ours. Don't try to do too many temples, take the time to drink in the wonder of those you see. Save the missed temples for another time, such as the rainy season when the rice paddies and lichens on the temples are green.
Have a great trip,
Brenda
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:03 AM

I had a great guide I have used twice on trips to Siem Reap and have no hesitation recoing him - his name is Chhor Elit and you can mail him on [email protected]. Suggest u fix up your guide asap as this is high season.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

First, sorry I meant to reply earlier to my initial post earlier.

I think Ponheary must be reading this forum as a couple hours after posting, we then received a reply from her. In the few days since then though we have exchanged multiple emails.

One of the days we have asked her to help us, she said she can not but her friend will. Perhaps this will be Maray Seng. She sounds very good!

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM

Last February, we used Dara, Ponheary's brother and he was excellent. We contacted them through the usual email address and they were very quick to get back to us. That's all I know.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:20 PM

http://travelqa.blogs.nytimes.com/

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM

beach and mohan, did you notice that the OP was from 4 years ago. I seriously doubt that princess is still looking for a guide.

By the way, old posts brought up in this way are usually a sign of an advertiser posting.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM

Sorry Kathie!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Oh I didn't notice. next time i check the date. thanks Kathie.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM

I know this is an old post, but others may find it searching, so I want to say Kathie, I think you are right, I think beachisland was really an advertiser, maybe Kim San himself or a friend of his. I just got back from Cambodia, and I had chosen Kim San as my guide based on recommendations I saw on Fodor's, maybe even this same thread. Well, it was a mistake. Kim San didn't even show up himself, he is not dependable. Here is what I posted on another thread about it:

I DON'T recommend Kim San. We chose him based on Fodor's forum recommendations, booked with him 6 months in advance, he confirmed with us multiple times prior to the trip that he would be our guide, even a few days before the trip. When we got to Siem Reap, he didn't show but sent a young man instead, who made excuses for him. The guide we did have was ok, but we didn't get Kim San, the guide we had chosen . I consider him untrustworthy.