Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Anantara Golden Triangle: suite vs. deluxe room?

Anantara Golden Triangle: suite vs. deluxe room?

Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Anantara Golden Triangle: suite vs. deluxe room?

I've read several posts lauding the suite over the deluxe room at Anantara Golden Triangle. It's $100 a night more for the suite for our dates. Is it really worth it, for two people?

FWIW, it is our honeymoon, so we're considering the splurge, but I'd almost rather get a daily spa treatment
Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM

The suites are lovely, no doubt. But if the choice were the suite or a daily spa treatment, I'd choose the spa. ;-) Two of us stayed in the deluxe room and it was fine (and I'm someone who often opts for a suite).
Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM

We have just stayed at the Anantara last week, and it is nice, but not really five star in our experience. Long story and photos on our blog.

http://web.mac.com/teaghanmackenzie/...Blog/Blog.html

Short story...
Suites are definitely nicer than the rooms...they are exactly double in size, and have a bigger bath area as well as a bigger balcony.

Issues we had were cockroaches in the room every day, ants in the breakfast breads, flies all over the breakfast fruit, cold and hot dishes both warm (neither hot or cold, but warm...not the best food safety practice), food prices high but quality and quantity low, lack of reasonable transportation options to Sop Ruak after 6 PM, inconsistent spa.

What we liked - views, pool, elephants, staff, overall atmosphere.

Whatever kind of room you pick, the wing that does NOT overlook the pool offers much better views from the room, and rooms on the third floor are best I think.
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Wow, Kim, you really had a different experience than others have had! The bugs are worrisome, and the food issues suprise me. We had fabulous food there, and very well-traveled friends of ours felt it was the best 5 star resort experience they'd had anywhere in the world! I do remember that one other person on the board complained that the food wasn't very good about a year ago. I wonder if the regular chef is gone for part of the low season? I haven't read your blog yet, but I will. Perhaps you have some idea about what the problem was. By the way, we had a room above the pool looking to Burma and Laos. and I thought the view was lovely. I didn't think the view from the main building was quite as nice, so I expect it's just personal preference.
Sep 4th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Kim, that sounds lousy. I'm not at all interested in laying out this kind of cash for the experience you describe.

Kathie, I've read your raves, and those of several others. What do you make of this? Should i look elsewhere in the Golden Triangle?
Sep 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM

kt, I don't know what to make of it. I wondered some whether it being off-season may have meant that the regular chef was not there, but that doesn't explain it all.

All properties have their "off" times. Some of our regulars have reported "off" times at even such esteemed properties as the Pen and the Oriental. I've stayed at places that have clearly been having an "off" time. So it may just be one of those anomalies. Certainly people who have been there in the fall and winter of 2006 had rave reviews.

If you are doubtful about the Anantara, that may be reason to cut it, since you have to cut a location somewhere. Other options in the area are the Four Seasons Tented Camp, or near Chianf Mai, the Four Seasons.
Sep 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM

When are you going, ktlady? We had a very different experience in the winter - no bugs, good food, magical vibe. I have a feeling that Kathie's theory is correct about the chef taking time off.

Agree that the spa looked great, but the treatment (facial) I had was bizarrely mediocre.

Since it is your honeymoon, I would go for the suite (or the Four Seasons Tented Camp, where there will be no kids). I felt the regular rooms did not feel "five star", but the suites did.
Sep 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I think the bug problem at the Anantara may be seasonal. When we stayed there during March/April there were mosquitoes in the evening and huge geckos eating bugs all night but none in our room. I seem to remember a card in the room explaining about the bugs and the use of the pesticide they provided.

Here in the tropics in the rainy season we get roaches and ants coming into our houses a lot as the grounds are wet and the bugs are just looking for a dry place and of course something to eat.

The food issue is surprising but Kim is a reliable source so I trust what she says and I hope it was just an anomaly and not of sign of things to come.

Aloha!
Sep 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I'm not sure about the food issue...we were there at the time that the elephant guy, John Roberts, had his wedding, and the place was full with his/her family and friends. I doubt they'd give time off at the time of an employees big event...

I'm sure the bugs are seasonal. There are more cockroaches in wet season, I know. But I've never encounted so many meetings in a hotel or guesthouse. If I had found one or two, I wouldn't mention it, but every day...it is simple to put traps and/or implement a spraying schedule in the building. I always sprayed them dead and left them on the floor...the same dead ones remained in the toilet room for our entire stay...it became a kind of game for me to see if housekeeping actually cleaned them up...and they didn't, just like the bar fruit with ants all over it. We also saw cockroaches in the spa, crawling in the closet where you are to leave your clothes, and on the dressing table, and in the shower...the spa is on the first floor, our room was on the third floor.

There are, in fact, many geckos, but none in the rooms, where maybe they would be useful!

The view from many of the rooms over the pool is blocked by plants and trees...they likely were smaller when you were there, Kathie. If you can get a room on that side that is not on the far end of the building then it would be good.

Sep 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Yuck! I have a suite booked there for early March. I may reconsider and just spend the exrta time in either bangkok or chiang mai. For that kind of money I don't want dead cockroaches all over my room and food.
Sep 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Gloria, maybe wait and see how the reviews go?

I also expect that in the dry season cockroaches will be less of an issue.

Also, I left all of the comments posted here on the survey/comment sheet for the hotel in the room for them to see as well...maybe they will change the breakfast setup to be insect free and properly hot/cold.
Sep 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM
jgg

We have booked a suite at the Anantara for late March. I have checked out the reviews on trip advisor and there are currently two from August who both rave about their stay. I plan to continue to monitor those to see if anything new comes up. Perhaps service (housekeeping, food, etc.) was a bit off due to the wedding. They may have been so focused on that, that things for other guests slipped. Still not acceptable, but maybe an excuse.
Sep 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I also checked trip advisor and will also continue to monitor. Every hotel has its "off" times and there are always people who have bad experiences. You couldn't pay me to return to the he 4 SEASONS in CM. thought the service was absolutely abomidable.But the vast majority have a great experience there.Now if there are a lot more complaints I'm not sure what I'd do. Can't afford the Tented 4Seasons.
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

We're going to Thailand in two weeks -- still the rainy season. Maybe the Anantara isn't the best option for us in this timeframe?

Sad, but we've been trying to eliminate one of our destinations b/c we were trying to do four in 14 days. Perhaps this makes our decision a bit easier...

(But i'm SO SAD b/c this looks phenomenal!)

Search this Thread