AMANPULO (Pamalican) Philippines

Oct 18th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

AMANPULO (Pamalican) Philippines

URGENT HELP please. I was just about to book into this hotel for a couple of nights when I read comments re the Aman in Phuket.
Has anyone been to the Amanpulo in the Philippines and, if so, is it worth the money (3 nights £1552.94 + transport from Manilla.). I don't normally splash out but was told this was really something!! In particular the cost of 'extras' seem exorbitant in Phuket - my fear is that could apply in the Phillipines?

Thanks. Pat
Oct 19th, 2005, 04:32 AM

I have been to Amanpulo and it is spectacular. You have nothing to worry about. If anyone has any unflattering things to say about the Phuket property it may have something to do with the fact that the resort is their oldest, and most dated.

Please read my review for Amanpulo on this forum. It is a very special experience. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Oct 19th, 2005, 06:05 AM

It's amazing - but the cost of the extras will be comparable to those charged at Amanpuri in Phuket
Oct 19th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Purely out of interest what 'do' the extras at these type of places cost? I read somewhere about a $ 80 Martini, so what do they charge for a Coke or Beer?
Oct 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. I wonder if Ericka could kindly give me the date of her report on this forum - I would love to read it.
Thank you Ericka. It seems my fears may be groundless (apart from "extras")!! Also, thank you Bella - between you, I think I will be making the right choice!!

Well James, re cost of extras -- 'I dread to think!!'. Perhaps Ericka and Bella can help me with this one.

Many thanks to you all.
Pat.

Oct 19th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Hi Guys,

My trip report was posted on 12/16/04. Just do a search for Amanpulo and you will see it on the first page.

As for the cost of extras, I have been to 5 Amans so far with a 6th on the way. I have never experienced an $80 martini. Cocktail costs will vary depending on what country you are in, but I imagine $10-15 would be the range for a very large, top shelf martini. This is no more than you would pay at an upscale restaurant or chi-chi bar at home.

For the record, I think the $80 martini was part of a larger experience - served on a mountain top or something.

Oct 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks Ericka. I am about to 'go hunting' for your report.

Pat
Nov 13th, 2005, 05:36 AM

The Amanpulo is lovely. It sits on its own island so the plane lands right there. I hope you got a beachfront casita (room). As for extras, you mean drinks? It should be comparable to 5-star rates in Manila, but still less than most parts in Asia or the world. Food is what you'd pay in a good hotel in Manila-- roughly $25-50 per meal per person. Still way lower than other countries. You will enjoy. Dont forget to write us your trip report!
Nov 13th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

I will post a note on my return (mid-Feb.). This will most probably include mention of my tour in the North - among the Rice Terraces.

Incidentally, does anyone "out there" know of any reasonable accommodation in the vicinity of Sagada, Banaue, Solano, Tugeugarao, San Vincente, Claveria, Vigan, San Jose or nearby, Lucap or nearby, Pundaquit or nearby please? It would be nice to have a bed for the night!! Seriously, I would really appreciate any information about that area because I will be touring with a car and driver in Dec/beg Jan.

Many thanks
Pat