airbnbs in Vietnam/Hanoi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, in looking at stays for Hanoi I am wondering if people ever stay in AirBnbs? There are some nice places for the same price as a cheap or moderate hotel. Would the advantage be the onsite staff at the hotels?

Thanks
Pam
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 11:35 AM

I don't use AirBnb, but you are right that the advantage of staying in a hotel is the onsite staff who can book all kinds of transport, tours, etc. Hotel prices In VN are very moderate.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 12:49 PM

I would only use Airbnb or similar for longer stays say > 1 week where we need more space or cooking facilities. For shorter stays the check in/out process is quicker and easier in a hotel. In Hanoi there are an incredible number of cheap, good hotels. Staff are usually very helpful in sourcing transport, esp. from the airport etc. I would be a little wary of using hotel staff to organise tours though.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 04:44 PM

In Hanoi you can get great hotels for "budget" prices. Although you haven't specified what your "price point" is, I'd bet you 'll be pleasantly surprised by Hanoi hotel prices. Look on assorted Foods threads for recommendations. Some are less thant $50. One caveat would be to make sure it is gong ot be a room WITH a window!!!
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 10:59 PM

Our room at 3B Homestay never had a window, we were only in the room to sleep. The room was at the rear of the hotel well away from the chaos outside, and we slept very well...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...tel-Hanoi.html

A window is fine, so long as it's got a view, and insulates against all the street noise, which can be loud and almost 24/7.

A lot of places on Airbnb, even in Vietnam, are just parts of much bigger establishments, and are also advertised elsewhere such as Booking.com. Often they also have their own website, which should undercut the 3rd Party websites, and throw in the odd extra like an an airport pick-up or drop-off. So research properly.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 05:21 PM

I had a hotel room in S'pore with an advertised window, which i thought would be nice for the fresh air. However, the window opened onto the central enclosed courtyard with 17 air cons blasting 24/7. Maybe windows are overrated in some places.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 10:40 PM

A lot of rooms in Hanoi’s Old Quarter do not have windows as they are almost always converted form existing buildings which start life as shop houses. Everyone on had to have a shop front to conduct business which led to long thin houses being built so everyone had a little piece of shopfront. As a result many hotels only have rooms with windows at the front and back.

Unless staying for just one night, I would always go for a window. Not for the view, or the fresh air ( where in hanoi or Singapore will one find that?) but simply for the natural daylight.

We have stayed at many different hotels in all price ranges in Hanoi over the years and would be happy to make suggestions to narrow the choice down if you could provide an idea of what you would like to pay.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Crellston. Because this is an unbudgeted and fairly last minute trip, we'd like to go as cheap as comfortably possible (we're thinking $20-30 a night) No hostel, obviously, but I have tentatively booked the Golden Arts for 7 nights for $283. But there are Airbnbs for $100 less https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22869657 that offer more room and much more quiet for the Old Quarter (where we'd like to stay) We would kind of like a base to leave our stuff in while we take a couple of day trips.

Last edited by nolarussell; Aug 26th, 2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Airbnb responded to me with this: Airbnb is legal in Vietnam and there is no regulations restricting its operation. And since there is no regulations in place as of the moment, you are not required to submit your passport.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 10:42 AM

The area we usually like to stay around is close to St Joseph’s Catherdral to the west of Hoàn Kiem lake or anywhere close to the west side of the lake. A little quieter, less traffic and easier to get to other places around Hanoi.

The area to the north where the Golden Arts looks to be, is very busy and a little harder to get around. Airbnb doesn’t actually say where it is although one of te reviews states "within 10 mins of the old quarter" which could mean anything and would concern me.

Last time we visited Hanoi we stayed in several places, one of which was the Splendid Star Boutique Hotel. A similar price to the Golden Arts and in a great location close to St Joseph’s and a 5 min walk to teh lake. Great staff, nice rooms and good WiFi. Close to a number of great places to eat.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 11:11 PM

3B Homestay is on the northern perimeter, but only a short walk into the middle of the hustle and bustle.. It is a really good budget option, and the included breakfast is a bonus. There are rooms with a window, but you'llpay for that privilege and might need ear plugs. It's easy for getting to and from Hanoi Airport too.

Crellston, I found the area close to the Cathedral very pleasant, but also a bit backpackerish. So choosing the right place is important.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 10:50 PM

Hi LL. I didn’t find the St Joseph’s area at all "backpackerish" ( great expression BTW!). One hostel right near the cathedral but that was quite civilised ( at least when I opted in for a beer to have a look.

We stayed a few times in the streets between the top of Hoàn Kiem lake and Bia Corner and were falling over backpackers (occasionally, literally!) as there are a number of big hostels in that area.

Re windows: given the climate in Hanoi, even if I have a window I don’t think I have ever opened one.