Search

Northern Vietnam - Hanoi, Sapa, and Halong Bay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Vietnam - Hanoi, Sapa, and Halong Bay

Hi folks,

My friend are planning a trip to Northern Vietnam (the beginning of a month-long SE Asia journey) and I've been talking with a helpful woman at the Hostel in Hanoi where my friend and I are planning to stay. Because we have a tight schedule (and it's hard for us to plan since we've never been to the country), we have engaged this woman in helping to plan our itinerary. Before we book, I wanted to get your opinions as to the cost (does it seem high/normal?). Your feedback is very valuable, thanks in advance!

Plan:
30/12: Hanoi
31/12: Hanoi
1/12: Hanoi - Sapa
Night train to Sapa
2/12: Sapa
3/12: Sapa
4/12: Sapa - Hanoi
Night train back to Hanoi
5/12: Hanoi - Halong Bay 2 days 1 night
Overnight in Halong or on Cruise
6/12: Halong - Hanoi
overnight in Hanoi
7/12: Hanoi departure

Economy: 175USD/pax
Superior: 192USD/pax

Include: Package Sapa 3 days 4 nights ( Round trip sleeping train , cabin 6/4 , 1 night Hotel, 1 night homestay, 2 Brreakfasts, 2 Lunches, 2 Dinners, 3 night accommodation in Hanoi hostel)

Package Halong Bay 2 days 1 night ( Overnight on Boat or in Cat Ba island Economy /Superior, 1 Breakfast, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner)
Exlcude: Airport pick up or Drop off, Drinks, personal expense, Single Supplement

I have aslo Deluxe Package, however as you travel in tight budget I just send here 2 category Economy and Superior, We recommend Superior package
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 10:14 AM

This is a fairly conventional package. You need more details from your agent, naming the hotels etc. Then you can Google see what rates you can book yourselves for the individual operations. For instance, many if not all hotels will arrange transportation from the airport for you at low cost.
Do-it-yourself planning is quite feasible for Vietnam but requires lots of time to sort through the rich variety of choices. Certainly the costs of Halong Bay outings vary widely and so does the quality. And for both there and Sapa, the weather changes depending on the time of year.
Hotel front desks are eager to book trips for you too but you have to look sharp to see if their suggestions offer value-for-money.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 02:28 AM

The cost seems reasonable but do check EXACTLY what is included. E.g. Not all train rides to Sapa are the same. They vary between a luxury private sleeper to a hard bench in a packed carriage! As Southampton rightly says, the quality varies immensely.

There are loads of tour operators located in the old quarter so it is easy to shop around and compare prices when you get there caveat emptor applies in Vietnam as much as anywhere so choose carefully rather than just leaving it to chance by booking via your hostel who presumably, you have never met. They will be receiving a commission so ask them how much they are getting and which operator they are using. If the commission is reasonable and you are happy with the amount then fair enough, it is convenient to do it this way but be careful of wiring money in advance, pay by cc if possible to give added protection.

Sinh cafe and Kangaroo Travel are reputable agents in Hanoi so you could try them for price comparisons but do check that you visit the genuine websites as there are many imitators using the sme name.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 10:25 PM

Hi there,
Please check exactly what is the detail of the tours and hotel. How much you pay, how nice you get, but still need the details to compare.
In normal, the Sapa 3 day 4 night will included 3 breakfasts,3 lunches, and 3 dinner, I saw here they offer you on 2 in each, means, one day there you will have to do by yourself
The Halong bay trip has many different price for 2 day 1 night from $40 to $200USD per person. But the important thing in this trip is the name of the cruise (or company) for you to know that it is good or not.
We often offer our customers here the Sapa with Deluxe quality, because the train class is very important.
Good luck!
Miss Moon
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had two days, one night on Halong Bay and wished we could have stayed one more night.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 09:58 AM

looks reasonable enough.. probably well worth taking the more expensive pkgs..

i would prefer to do it without the lunch and dinners as you will not want to be tied down to the pkg restaurants...
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Hi RPCVLeah,

I'm just back from Sapa couple of days ago and highly recommend newly open hotel there H'mong Sapa with its stunning view and great hotel's facilities. Tavan 2 village has quite a number of houses providing homestay for guest and I did have lunch at a beautiful huts which looks down the valley. this lovely house also provides homestay service & serving foods & drinks for trekkers.

As for the overnight train to Sapa pls get Sapaly or Fansipan train for their comfort & cleanliness.

You may also want to check the phoenix cruise for their cruise itinerary & cost which is quite affordable I assume.

In term of costing for the tour I thought it will cost you between 220$ & 250$/person for a private tour to Sapa for 02 people with accommodation & train,transportation,tour guide. And the halong bay tour for 02 days with shuttle bus transfer from hanoi might cost you about 100$/person.
Hanoi has plenty of hotels range between 30$ & 50$/room/nite for 02 people so I don't think you have any problem with this.

Hope some of those info might help you to plan your trip and yes it's always true that you get what you pay for and I don't think the price quoted you mentioned make sense to me for Superior standard.

With my regards!

Hai Tran
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 04:35 AM

we v been travelling with hai tran xuan as our local guide,it was very fruitfull. hai took us in hanoi to his house, to a big local neibourhood restaurant which was very intertesting. we really recomond to go to the real autentic local places. we also met a great local artist name dao anh khanh who is creating massive projects.

take a walk on the bridge which was heavily bombeb by u.s.a. pilots, best time before sunset.( full of people and motorbikes)

sapa-take at least, 3-4 days there,the local villages are fantastic, the people are full of coulors and caracters,and it s really a nice peacfull place to trek,relax and get to know better vietnam nature and people.

halomg bay -one night is ok.(to much tourists,and few local people)

ehud,israel