Advice on Bali Accommodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a 4-day trip to Bali in late September this year. Wanted this trip to be as romantic as possible for my partner and am considering the following choices of accommodation:-

1. Hotel Tugu
2. The Ahimsa Estate
3. The Villas (adjacent to Prana Spa)
4. The Club at Legian

Was hoping to cap spending to less than US$280 (after the hefty taxes) a night since at least half of the time will be spent exploring other parts of the island.

Will welcome any views on any of the above 4 choices. Nothing beats hearing from people who have actually stayed in any of those choices.

Other suggestions are also appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Jon, If you mean you want to spend $280 in total (including the ++ taxes) then I think your best bet is a regular room at the Legian (as opposed to a villa in the Club section.) All of the regular rooms at the Legian face the ocean and have substantial balconies. The property is well designed with beautiful gardens and a stunning pool. The service is excellent. It is both romantic and stylish.

The Legian is also well situated close to some of the best restaurants, shopping, clubs and spas in Bali. La Lucciola and KuDeTa are two within walking distance.

The beach is wide, sandy and goes on for miles. The surf in this area is a bit rough, however, and should only be attempted by strong swimmers. Sunset from the balcony is outstanding.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:13 AM

We stayed at the Tugu. It is a very romantic and exotic place. However, even at www.balidiscovery.com, the price is a little over your budget at $310 w/tax for a Dedari "Suite" with plunge pool. Don't be put off by the location - we found it very easy to get around from the town of Canggu which is just north of Seminyak.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I've stayed in a 3br at The Villas..it was great for our family. Very private,quiet and spacious. I would'nt exactly say it's a romantic place to stay...just your basic grouping of villas w/ pools.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM

The Pansea Puri @ Jimbaran Bay (next door to the Intercontinental) is very pleasant, and I think Jimbaran Bay has the best beach in the Bali tourist areas (I'd not swim off the beach adjacent to the Legian unless I was a strong swimmer due to the undertow and rips). The Pansea's bungalows are romantic, as is dining at the beachside restaurant (although it is an expensive place to eat).

If you want to go further afield, the former Serai (now the Alila)@ Candi Dasa is superb, and very romantic and quiet. Its food, in particular, is generally regarded as some of the best in Bali. You also get free access to the adjacent very plush and opulent Aman Kila (hugely expensive at more than triple your budget) and this resort's beach club is heaven on earth.

An alternative is the Palace Club at the Nusa Dua Beach Hotel and Spa. You get, as part of the price, an excellent smorgasbord breakfast, free team coffee and soft drinks all day, 2-hour of high tea (sandwiches and cakes) each afternoon, and each evening there is two hours of canapes (fabulous finger food) and free alcholic drinks. The rooms are excellent.

You also have access to the spa lap pool (very quiet). In fact, unless you like to eat like a hog, the free food at the Palace Club means you can stay there without having to buy anything! Sorta like a high class Club Med (although I will agree with many travellers who say the Nusa Dua area is not the 'real' Bali).

The Nusa Dua Beach Hotel and Spa is owned by the Sultan of Brunei, and fortunately, he has allowed it to retain far more Balinese characteristics that the other Nusa Dua hotels.