Search

Advice Needed: Recommendations for 2 Week Adventure Honeymoon in Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed: Recommendations for 2 Week Adventure Honeymoon in Indonesia

Hi, all,

My future husband and I are taking our 2 week honeymoon in indonesia in late August!

While we would like to have some relaxation, we would prefer to have a more active, off the beaten path, adventure. We love hiking, camping, biking, river-rafting, and snorkeling. We also love temples, soaking in local culture, dance, and hanging out with animals (organatuns, dolphins, elephants, whatever).

We have bought our ticket and will fly into Jakarta and out of Bali. I was thinking we would definitely want ot check out borobudur, bromo, yogyakarta, and maybe baluran. I also thought we'd check out ubud, munduk, and maybe pura luhur. This seems to be pretty standard.

Here are my questions for the forum:
1) What places in Java or Bali are not to be missed? Do you have any recommendations for off the beaten path, active adventures there?
2) Is it worth it to add Kalmantin into the mix? Would there be enough time?
3) For a relatively short trip, are these the right places to hit? Or should we consider other islands? Gilis, Lombok, or Sulawesi? We don't want to be travelling the entire time..

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 12:43 AM

Indonesia has a lot to offer in the way of adventure travel. Geographically it’s a big place so a lot of your decisions will depend on your budget and how you intend to get from place to place.

Late August will be the middle of Ramadhan, the Islamic fasting month. You will feel some of the affects of Ramadhan in the Muslim areas like Java and Lombok. Some restaurants are closed during the day and cultural performances like dances are curtailed. You want to be careful that the local people that are leading you in physically demanding activities like trekking or climbing or are driving long distances are not fasting. Of if they are, start very early (right after sunrise) and let them finish by midday.

The big Islamic holidays begin September 9 – or a few days before – so you definitely want to be out of Java by that time.

In Central Java: Borobudur and Yogyakarta and the surrounding areas like the Dieng Plateau are must sees. Lots of mountains and volcanoes, arts and crafts, black magic, ancient sites and great natural beauty.

In East Java: Bromo is the main draw. Be sure to actually stay in the mountain area. A lot of people like the town of Malang. I had to google Baluran. No idea. I haven’t been to Ijen but it’s a place I’ve always been interested in seeing. For sheer astonishment try to see the Lapindo mud volcano.

You can continue on to North Bali by ferry for snorkeling and dolphins, then continue on to Munduk and Ubud.

Bali is easy and accessible. There’s a whole lot to do, cultural and natural. Spend a week. You’ll fill it up. Don't overplan. Bali is always full of surprises.

Two weeks is a little tight for Java, Bali and a third island, mainly because by the time you get to and from the airport etc, you'll have used up an entire day.

I like Sulawesi a lot – both central (Torajaland) and North (the Manado area). I haven't been to Kalimantan. I'm sure it's a worthwhile trip, but again you'd have to allocate several days to getting to the orangutan sites so if this is something you want to do it may have to be either or Java.

You won't find large mammals on Java or Bali (plenty of monkeys, birds and lizards though). Not of a lot of camping per se, but there are wilderness lodges. Otherwise you can accomplish everything on your list.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:08 AM

I agree with marmot, our resident Indonesia expert. In two weeks, choose two islands. Bali and Java make sense. Save the orangutans for next trip (and go to Sabah to see them).
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie and Marmot!
Any thoughts on Sumatra? Better than Java?
I've heard Bukit Lawang, Lake Toba, Samosir Island, and Medan are supposed to be interesting...
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:02 PM

I haven't been to Sumatra so I can't give you a personal impression but I'd say in general that it's a lot bigger (more transportation) and a lot less populated than Java. You'll have the same Ramadhan situation in Sumatra and some areas are even more conservative than Java.

Another area that you might like is Ujung Kulon National Park on Java's west coast. From there you can visit the remains of Krakatau.

You'll find spectacular natural beauty throughout Indonesia.
I think what makes Java unique is Borobudur and the royal courts of Yogya and Solo -- this is really the cultural heart.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Having just been to Central Java and East Java I agree with marmot as well. To snorkel in Bunaken National Park is amazing if you can work it in to your plans.
If you want to splurge 1 day in Central Java for a first rate guide that will cost about $85USD+/- for a 9-10 hours including his car and gas contact Wiedy at : [email protected] and tell him you want Rachmad to be you guide to go to Borobudur (he will explauin the reliefs to you in such a way you will necer forgwet them) and to the little villages he took Stan & LInda to as well as to the well known painters compound Sony santosa. Yes, that can be done in a day that will be memorable. You can do it on your own but it is difficult to go to Dieng Plataeu as marmot suggested. we used Rachmad but it's almost an entire day, though he could go there one way and come back another if you start at 7:30 and return at 6PM but it might cost slightly more) and based upon your budget you have to be the judge.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Two weeks is a short time to even just see Java and Bali. In such a short time you could concentrate on places like Borobudur and Prambanan and other outlying areas like Dieng, or go up Kaliurang. Then fly to Surabaya and see Bromo and tea plantations, the remains of the Majapahit empire if you are still interested in more temples. Fly to Bali and see the Safari Park (you can stay in the hotel and wake up to the animals outside your room), Bali Bird Park, Elephant park, etc. (yes they are captive animals but you don't have the time to trek around hoping to see wild orangutans unfortunately). I love Ubud but for the attractions further south you can base yourself out of Sanur or Jimbaran for a couple of days. btw, everyone calls Pura Luhur Uluwatu just Uluwatu... Then, move to Ubud. Other temples to see, Goa Gajah, Gunung Kawi, and much more around the Ubud area. For lovely snorkeling/diving go up to the Pemuteran area and take a trip to Menjangan, (I have a wonderful guide there)you can trek through the West Bali National Park as well. On the way down (or the way up) you go through the wonderful rice field areas and through Munduk and the Botanical Gardens as well. Don't take any organized tours! Cars with drivers are the best way to go, you can book through your hotel or better yet, meet up with a few and check out their cars, see if your personalities mesh, and away you go! (Bali and Java are overflowing with private cars and drivers and good Blue Bird taxis)you don't need to prebook. And, I have been to Kalimantan and Sumatra and they take a lot longer to see fewer things of cultural interest, so on your time schedule I would skip them.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. This is very helpful advice! We have now decided against Kalimantan and Sumatra.

I've done some more research and Sulawesi looks really interesting. I'm particularly intrigued by the funeral ceremonies in Tana Toraja. How does one find about when the funeral ceremonies are? Do they happen often? Are there other things to do in the immediate vicinity? And, if so, would it be worth NOT going to Java, but instead going to Sulawesi and then on to Bali and Lombok?

Thanks!
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Ordinarily I would say Borobudur is a don't miss, but maybe with Ramadhan, Sulawesi is a good alternative.

Torajans "save up" for funerals so it's fairly easy to find out what's scheduled when. Lately the most funerals take place in August for the benefit of European tourists.

It's good to have guide, which you can either locate through a tour service or through your resort. They'll pick you up at Makassar airport, transport you to Tanah Toraja (most likely Rantepao) and arrange for a 2-3 day itinerary. Aside from funerals, you can visit burial sites and traditional villages with their spectacular architecture.

I'd also suggest that you go to Manado area in North Sulawesi. From Tanah Toraja you have to go back to Makassar and fly from there, or you can fly non-stop from Singapore or other parts of Indonesia.

I especially like Kungkungan Bay Resort for snorkling and diving, but Bunaken is also extraordinary. There are several national parks in North Sulawesi. Tangkoko is good for wildlife spotting -- tarsiers, hornbills, macaques.

Personally, I'd choose North Sulawesi over Lombok, but that would mean of an adventure trip than relaxing on the beach.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi, all,

My fiancee have started to finalize our itinerary. We think it will be as follows:
4 days in Yogykarta
3 days in Sanur
5 days in Ubud
3 days in Nusa Lembongan

We have confirmed the Phoenix hotel in Yogykarta.

Now we are working on our other accomodations. We are thinking of staying at Puri Santrian or Bali Pavillians in Sanur, either Alam Shanti or Alam Sari in Ubud, and maybe the Nusa Lembongan Resort). We want to stay somewhere nice, but don't want to break the bank account. Are these good options? What is better Alam Shanti or Alam Sari? Any hotels we missed, or of better quality but less expensive?

Initially, we were avoiding Seminyak, because we had heard it lacks charm and is so super developed. But should we reconsider if there are better hotels there?

In terms of Ubud, can anyone recommend any drivers/guides?
We also want to do some hiking, can we make it up to Gunung Agung from Ubud as a day trip?

Thanks,

Everyone's advice has been invaluable.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM

There are really a lot of very nice garden-type hotels in Ubud, in fact most of them are bungalows as oppsed to the "hallway" type hotels. I'm actually mystified why the Alam hotels get such rave reviews over other great places. Ones I usually put friends up at are Ubud Bungalow or Ananda Cottages, but then again there are lots of others that are not well known. You also do not need to book a driver in advance. It's much better to meet any of the dozens of drivers who will be stationed at your hotel or on the street nearby and talk to them, see what they recommend doing, how are their language skills, do you like their personality (talk too much or too little,etc) and check their car out. I personally can recommend several good drivers but I am loathe to do so in a forum setting. Gunung Agung can defintely be done as a day trip, or you can do Batur as well. Alternatively, there are a lot of nice regular walks around Ubud, through rice fields, along the rivers, etc etc.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 11:49 PM

There's no connection between the Alam Shanti and the Alam Sari. I haven’t visited Alam Shanti so I’m not going to comment except to say that the determining factor may be location. “Better” really depends on where you’d spend your time -- in the country side or close to town.

Alam Shanti is quite near (walkable) the center of Ubud town. Alam Sari is in the country side about 20 minutes outside of Ubud. It’s very low key, about 10 rooms plus a villa, with lovely views and friendly people who can offer a lot of information on nature and culture inspired activities in the area.

All of the southern beach areas – Sanur, Jimbaran, Nusa Dua, Seminyak, Kuta -- are “developed” in that the beaches are lined with resorts. There’s a height limit everywhere so the most you get is 4-5 stories. The villas are within walking distance and there are numerous restaurants, spas and shops on the access roads.

Does Sanur have more charm than Seminyak? I would say that is arguable, but Sanur IS somewhat quieter (some say sleepier) and Seminyak is more sophisticated (some say too trendy). Sanur has a calm swimming beach and sunrise. Seminyak has big waves and sunset.

You might find this website helpful for mountain climbing in Bali – and Java. http://www.gunungbagging.com/

Be careful if you climb in Java, though, to ask if your guides are fasting. No water and trekking can be a dangerous combination.

The Phoenix looks really nice, but I think you'd really be missing out by not spending a night at Borobudur. It's quite mystical to get up at 4:30 and wander over to the monument before the sun comes up. Of course you can do that if you stay in Yogya, but it's more of a shlep.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 03:46 PM

For a driver/guide in Bali, you will find none better (anywhere) than Putu Arnamwa, a Fodors favorite. Putu is one of the few things that Gpanda and RMKKMK agree about. Intelligent, educated, knowledgeable of world issues, witty and fun.

Email Putu and ask him about hiking the volcano. I believe it requires leaving around 3 AM - but not sure.

Plenty of great trip reports on Fodors for both Java and Bali with lots of ideas on things to do and places to go.

Putu Arnawa
www.balifriend.net
www.baliartphoto.com
email: putu@balifriend net
mobile: 62-8123608079

When visiting Borobudur, lunch, dinner or even just drinks while watching the sun set at the nearby Amanjiwo resort is marvelous. Be sure to stop by their store where the nicest items from throughout the area can be found.
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanjiwo/home.aspx

I second Stan's reco for Borobudur Tour and Travel for travel in Central Java. Based in Borobudur Village, Wiedy and company are wonderful folks.