Search

Saigon Morin or La Residence Hue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2010, 03:13 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saigon Morin or La Residence Hue

Both seem to have some charm, but Saigon Morin seems to have a better location. Would love to here from fodorites as I trust your opinions more than TripAdivsor. Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Saigon Morin is government run.

La Residence is a stellar property. I stayed there and would return, although the room itself (I was in the least expensive category) is not large and not at all "special." They have a lovely pool and free use of computers in the lobby area. The renovation is an architectural marvel and worth a look even if you do not stay there. The whole operation is first class, especially in the design sense which I must admit is fairly important to me when choosing a hotel. I would NOT spring for a river view unless I was placed in the part of the hotel nearest the water. (I was in the building past the pool and would had only a distant river view, so I chose to remain in my view-less room)

I doubt if you would go wrong with either place.

In hot weather you would want to take a taxi from La Residence to the center city; Morin has a nominally better location as you know.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:20 AM

I loved La Residence-lots of character and lovely pool/spa and dining area. My first room was too noisy(was facing the street) but they moved me to another easily and it was in the connecting building and it probably was an upgrade but wasn't charged any extra for it. I would highly recommend this hotel.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Have stayed at La Residence a couple of time and loved it both time great Art Deco architecture and design(used to be the French Ambassadors residence). Great restaurants and bars - all very elegant. I did get quite bad food poisoning there (dodgy prawn!) but that can happen anywhere. One very slight downside is that it is a bit of a walk from the centre of things but the will rent you a bike. Definitely the best hotel in Hue
I haven't stayed at the Morin but have had a drink there. It was ok but was looking a bit faded and tired (in 2008)
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM

More words of praise for La Residence from a satisfied former guest. We found the property to be very attractive and the staff not only hospitable but friendly. We too had a modest room; it was small but very well appointed. Another poster here had more spectacular quarters -- see barefootbeach's photos.

Sorry, I don't know the Saigon Morin.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. We had booked La Residence, but then got concerned that it was a bit far away from the center of things. Doesn't sound like that was an issue for anyone.