Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Advice needed for southeast Asia itinerary for July 2015

Advice needed for southeast Asia itinerary for July 2015

May 11th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Advice needed for southeast Asia itinerary for July 2015

Hi - I will be travelling to Asia for the first time in July 2015 with my adult step-daughter to meet up with my 19 year old daughter and her boyfriend at the end of their 3 month backpacking trip. This will be a first for all of us and we are very excited!

We have booked one week of timeshare in Bali at Sanur at the Royal Bali Beach Club (July 4-11), we have 2 days free and then we will be moving to a 4 night timeshare at the Golden Palm resort at Sepang, Malaysia (July 13-17). We will then be travelling to Bangkok for several days before all returning to Canada.

From what I can see, it seems we are best off flying between these 3 destinations to make the most of our time. I like to drive, but I note that the train from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok takes a very long time...would driving be faster? better? or should we stick to flying?

In Bali, would it make more sense to hire a driver/guide to see the sights or should I rent a car and tour around ourselves? I am a pretty fearless driver, but this is our first trip to Asia so I am a little unsure...

For our two free days between Bali and Malaysia, I am thinking about a home stay in the Ubud area. A typical guesthouse would also be an option. Any suggestions?

Finally Bangkok...we are looking for reasonably priced ($50-100 per night), 2 bedroom accommodation in the centre of things, close to public transit. I would like it to be clean and safe, but more typical of Bangkok, to offset the timeshare experience.

The only thing on our agenda in Bangkok is to go to Wat Bang Phra as the kids want to get a sak yant tattoo. I am interested as well in seeing the "floating market". Any other don't miss things to do and see in Bangkok? I love street food and have a strong stomach - any worries about getting sick? I understand the water is not drinkable...

Thanks so much - I always rely on Fodorites to steer me right when I travel and I have had wonderful experiences as a result.
May 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM

I'm sure others will chime in with accomodation suggestions. I've just come back from a week on the beautiful island of Bali, staying at Sanur and Ubud. There is no way I would want to drive, it is cheap to hire a car and driver/guide, as little as $50 for a full day for all of you.

On the travel from KL to BKK - fly. The southern part of Thailand is experiencing frequent militant or terrorist type attacks. The Australian Government travel advisory site lists it as "do not travel" the highest warning they give. Check out your own governments website, I expect it would say similar.

In BKK I liked Jim Thompsons house for a glimpse into the life of an interesting man, and fabulous architecture.
May 11th, 2014, 10:47 PM

<<>>

Some pretty examples here...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sa...w=1024&bih=653
May 11th, 2014, 11:36 PM

The kids might want to make sure they have all their shots before getting a tattoo at Wat Bang Phra. They reuse the needles over and over again, as well as the bucket of ink that has had the bloody needles or sticks from all the other people dipped into it.

but enough of safety concerns...

You might look into this place in Bangkok
http://www.nirasbankoc.com/

They have hostel beds and private rooms and it would be in your budget. I stayed here a couple of years ago and the staff ws very nice and the location pleasant, though not near the Skytrain.

I wouldn't take the KL to Bangkok train. It is long and you can often get Air Asia flights for not much more money. The south has had a lot of problems for a while and now the political situation seems to be heating up in Thailand. You have over a year though, so you might want to wait a few months before making fixed plans there.
May 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM

Hi lizcdn2,
It is a very good choice to go to Bali in July, Malaysia more or less the same. You could get some rain in Bangkok in July though.
Flying between the places is in my opinion the best, you can do early (+/- one year ahead) online bookings with Airasia, which come rather cheap (one flight 30 – 50$, or even less).
No problem to hire a car with driver in Bali, very affordable too.
We spent a few days in Ubud whilst travelling around Bali and recommend Ubud Terrace Bungalows. You’ll find information in our travel notes: http://konniandmatt.blogspot.ca/2009...-nov-2009.html
Perhaps, you should, because of the rainy season in Bangkok, spend some more time in Malaysia. The East coast islands will have nice weather in the summer months, because the SW monsoon won’t reach there. You could easily fly from Kuala Lumpur to Redang or Tioman (both have airports), to have some sunny beach days still. Please, find our notes about Tioman: http://konniandmatt.blogspot.ca/2011...11-tioman.html Tioman has nice beaches and even rain forest to explore.
For your days in Bangkok I’d recommend a residence, close to the Sky Train, and close to the river, where you could start your boat ride to one of the floating markets. We love to stay there, because it is in the middle of big markets, where the food is great and so authentic. Please find details here: http://konniandmatt.blogspot.ca/2012...2-bangkok.html
I wish you a great time travelling in Asia.
Cheers, Konni, www.konniandmatt.blogspot.com
May 13th, 2014, 06:05 PM

I know Bangkok very well.

Floating markets - basically tourist traps and not worth it. Bangkok has food mkts everywhere. Just walk around near your hotel.

Best place to stay - for convenience stay near skytrain and Siam area is good. Evergreen Place or Pathuwan Princess.

Attractions

Grand Palace
Wat Po
Wat Arun
National museum
Vimanmek Mansion
Suan Pakkard
Safari World

Shopping
MBK and Siam Paragon shopping centres.
Pratunam markets.

1 night getaway?
Kanchanaburi includ Erawan waterfalls

Feel free to ask questions
May 13th, 2014, 06:08 PM

I forgot if u want a good cultural night out Siam Niramit is great. Outstanding show for the family. Book a tour which will include transport and buffet food. Food is good for buffet.
May 13th, 2014, 06:15 PM

Flights - air asia has cheap flights and new planes.

Thai trains are slow and bad.

Jim Thompson house I found disappointing. Nothing much to see but everyone is different.

If you want beaches and good tours fly to Krabi. Much better than Bali imo. They have very good kayaking, snorkelling, hotsprings and a crystal lagoon. Krabi is very scenic. Ao Nang is a good place to stay. Google Koh Hong and Phra Nang beach to view pics.
May 13th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Ive been to Thailand in July many times. Very little rain yet cheap prices for hotels due to low season. June and July are the best months to visit. The country is very hot march to may while xmas is too busy.

Wettest months are August and Sept.

Search this Thread