Thailand --> Bali --> USA ???

Sep 4th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thailand --> Bali --> USA ???

I am planning a month long trip to Asia from the US (new york area). I am most interested in visiting Thailand and Bali. I found a 17 day itinerary around Thailand that starts in Bangkok and ends in Krabi. I would like to visit Ubud, Gili T, and possibly Komodo in Indonesia. Wondering the best air lines/ airport to travel from Krabi to Indonesia and from Indonesia back to the US.

The cheapest flights I found were to and from Jakarta which is not near the places I waned to visit. I am also very flexible and open to other suggestions of travel plans.
Sep 5th, 2017, 02:40 AM

Try running multi-destination itineraries through matrix.itasoftware.com It's a Google service for airlines that doesn't sell tickets but it probably covers more carriers than any other service (none is comprehensive.) For one-way no-frills airlines within the Indo-Chinese crescent you describe, you will need further research.
Sep 5th, 2017, 08:25 AM

You might also want to look at the idea of finding a round trip itinerary that has a cheap flight to Bangkok and then another cheap flight out of someplace else that typically has cheap flights to the US (perhaps Kuala Lumpur or Singapore) and then just purchase a separate ticket when you are done in Indonesia to get you to that final departure city. Or a roundtrip to Bangkok.

Last winter for our six week trip we found a really good fare into Yangon, Myanmar (our first country we visited) and out of Kuala Lumpur. We just purchased a super cheap one-way ticket from Bali to Kuala Lumpur at the end of our trip, spent the night at an airport hotel and got on our flight home the next morning. I too always use itasoftware.
Sep 5th, 2017, 10:55 AM

I think your best bet probably is to return to Bangkok from krabi and then fly on. I have taken air asia and thai air from Bangkok to bali. OR

I have also flown Korean air (fab) from JFK to bali via seoul and luftansa from NE to bali via munich and Singapore, and then on to Thailand.

do a multi destination flt as suggested above. each airline offers these on their sites. into 1 place, out of another, into 1 place, a stop for some days and then to another place, then home...
Sep 6th, 2017, 01:13 AM

AirAsia is always my airline of choice within Southeast Asia. They do fly from Krabi to Bangkok and from Bangkok to Bali Denpasar, though I don't know the connection times.

For the longhaul flights from the U.S. to Asia you might be better off with a round trip to one destination, e.g., Bangkok or Singapore, rather than arriving in Bangkok and departing from Bali. Depending on the time of year and your location you might find deals on Singapore Airlines, Cathay, and Korean. The cheapest fares seem to be through the middle east on Qatar, Emirates or Etihad.