Search

Advice for our first Thailand Trip!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for our first Thailand Trip!

Hi,

We are 28 and 30 and are about to go to our first trip to Asia. We are very excited, but just can't decide how to use our days/night. Right now, we're staying 3 nights in Bangkok, 3 nights in Chiang Mai, doing a 1 night trek, but then we have 4 more nights before we have to fly back to Bangkok for a final night.

We're not sure what to do with those 4 nights. We don't want to go to one of the beach areas because we have heard they are expensive and since we're flying all the way to Thailand, we want to see the culture. We are thinking about staying one more night in Chiang Mai after the trek, and then going to Chiang Rai and staying there but doing a day trip to the Golden Triangle area. So you think it would be better to stay in the Golden Triangle area rather than Chiang Rai?

Also, what about skipping Chiang Rai/Golden Triangle area and going to Cambodia? What would you do?

Final question: Right now, we are booked at the Sheraton Royal Orchid. But, we are scared because we keep reading reviews that it is very loud due to construction. We thought we liked the idea of staying on the river, and this location seemed ideal. We got a great deal (80) a night. Do you think we should switch? Maybe to a non-river hotel? Also, if anyone has any comments on Rimping Village v. Baan Orapin, that would be helpful too!

Generally, we like to see culture and shop a bit. We are fairly active.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for all the questions!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:45 AM

I would go visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia or Luang Prabang in Laos. Both are amazing. The temples at AW are wonderful. The laid back ambiance of LP is delightful. In fact, if possible, you could skip Chiang Mai and go to both. Bangkok Air has a discovery pass that will make the flights much cheaper.

We always stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. The rooms are not very Thai, but the location is ideal. The pool and fitness center are very good. $80 per night is a great rate.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM

i have not seen any comments about sheraton being noisy or construction going on???

internally they always seems to be revnovating which is a pain because of smells from paints, etc, but that is minimal...in any case noise would be during the day when you were out...an alternative is the hilton right across the river, or the marriott resort down the river...not sure if you could get $80 however..

personally i would add one more day to CM and the others to bkk...
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM

The Sheraton Royal Orchid has been doing renovations throughout the hotel for several years. I believe they are now finished (or soon will be). We heard very little noise during our annual stay there in November. It's a great location, and you got a real deal. I'd stick with that. See if you can upgrade to the Towers - breakfast, evening canapes and cocktails included in your room price.

I'm not a fan of Chiang Mai, but those who are highly recommend Baan Orrapin. If you want to go to the Golden Triangle, take a look at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle. If it fits into your budget, it's a great experience.

The trip to Angkor or to Luang Prabang is fabulous, but note that the flights are expensive.

Take a look at some of our photos of these areas at www.marlandc.com
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM

I'd do 5 nights straight in Bangkok and then add one the night before you have to leave to fly home. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:59 AM

If you think that you'll have the opportunity to travel more in Asia after this trip, you'll likely be both very pleased and well advised to stay in Thailand for the 12 nights.

If you do not think that there is more Asian travel on the horizon, you may be seriously tempted by Gpanda's suggestion of Siem Reap/Angkor Wat or Luang Prabang. It sounds trite but they both are "magical" places that are undergoing rapid development. Given what you say about your interest in cultural sites, I cannot imagine that you would be disappointed by either choice. They are spectacular.

Much depends upon a) future travel prospects, and b) your budget flexibility for things like extra flights, visas and the like.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:18 AM

The beaches aren't expensive in general. You are missing an exceptionally beautiful part of Thailand if you don't see Krabi, or Koh Samui, et al!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like no one thinks Chiang Rai is worth 3 nights, and if we go up that way, staying near the Golden Triangle is nicer? Do any of the beaches have any culture? We're heard it's really a lot like Cancun!

Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM

well pattaya and phuket are known for "culture", which is best described as adult entertainment....

generally the beach areas are a bit void of cultural things to do or participate in
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM

The Thai beaches are essentially Thailand-lite. The culture is dumbed down for western tourists. I would skip them. If your budget allows, visit either Cambodia or Laos or both. You will love them. Guaranteed.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Here we go again.....Adult entertainment is a very small part of Phuket. One large area in Patong and a few small strips on some of the other beaches. Bangkok also is well known for this type of thing.
There is Culture that you can experience at all the beach locations, just not as much in the central tourists ares or within the confines of 5 star hotels. Some of my best Thai experiences have been getting a car and driving around the scenic rural wonderland around the Southern coastal area's, spending time in little fishing villages, close to the main tourist areas but a million miles away. As Mango say's, it is an exceptionally beautiful area, there is a reason that it became such a popular spot for tourists and if you look around the edges you will find plenty of "authentic" Thai experiences.
Everyone will have different opinions and will enjoy different parts of Thailand. Many people who feel that the beaches areas dont exude culture will stay at major chain resorts and eat at French restaraunts. In saying this I am not trying to say there is anything wrong with this but I prefer to eat in the markets and street stall as this is part of my experience of modern Thai culture.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM

/\ Good post Shanek..

Anywhere you go in Thailand, you are immersed in culture! (Imo, Pattaya is the exception...almost hated it there- Just a sh!t-hole of a destination)
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM

I have to put in an additional plug for going to Angkor Wat, especially if you think you may nopt get back to Southeast Asia for some time. We stayed at the Bopha Angkor in Siem Reap and loved it. Small and comfortable - right near the old market and walking distance from a variety of restaurants. The temples and the history of Angkor are not to be missed. I loved Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle as well as Kata Beach, but if I had to choose between those and Angkor, I would definitely vote for Angkor. No matter what you will have a fabulous time.