Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Adapters, Converters, Electricity...oh my!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just need clarification.

In Thailand, there are two types of plugs. Flat blade plug (like US) and two round pins.

If my computer, camera charger, cell phone charger, etc. say 100-240V then I can just plug those puppies directly into the outlet if the plug is flat blade. If it's the two round pins, then I attach the correct adapter then plug it into the wall. NO CONVERTER NEEDED.

If any of my appliances (curling iron, make-up mirror, etc.) say 120V, then I need to use and a converter along with the adapter.

I just don't want to blow up my computer, curling iron, etc.

Same for our short stay in Hong Kong...just a different adapter.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Things like cell phones, camera chargers, etc have a built in converter. So you just need to be able to plug them in.

Items like a curling iron or hair dryer you would need a converter - BUT - don't bother. They won't work well. You hotel will furnish a hair dryer. If you need items like a curling iron, buy a cheap one when you get there. Frankly, it will be so hot and humid in Thailand, you'll have to decide whether it is worth it to use a curling iron. Most hotels also have a lighted, magnifying make-up mirror in the bathroom.

My advice - pack lightly - you won't use/need even half of what you use at home.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM

don't bother to bring them as kathie says....the hotels will have hair dryers for you... go without curls...

many bkk hotels will have american style plug arrangements, otherwise you need the two prong.... adapter for each of your electronic devices is all you need... leave any 120v stuff at home
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Actually my hair is naturally curly...I use a curling iron to "tame" it! But, good advice...in hot and humid weather it's not going to matter! I'll throw it all in a baseball cap.

Oh...can you wear baseball caps inside the temples? If I have to remove the cap...it could be scary.

My fold-up travel hair dryer (with a diffuser...again...curly hair thing) has a switch to change it to 220V. It goes everywhere with me.

And yes, Kathie...I need to pack lightly! I'll keep reminding myself. I read a post a long time ago that said, pack your suitcase, then take half of it out...you won't miss it.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM

<<<I read a post a long time ago that said, pack your suitcase, then take half of it out...you won't miss it>>>

I'm not an overpacker (we each took a 21" suitcase with us on our recent 3-week SEA trip), but remember, if it's going to be hot where you're going, warm weather clothes take up much less room!