Electrical conerter needs

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical conerter needs

We are planning a trip to Vienna, Prague and Paris in early April. I am bringing my cell phone charger, small curling iron and a hair dryer. What converters and or transformers will I need for this trip?

Below are the electrical details of my devices:

Phone charger 100-240 v 0.2A 50/60 Hz
Curling Iron. 120 - 240 50/60 Hz
Hair dryer 1875 w 125 Vac 60Hz

I already have a Trisonic converter 1600 W
Input 220/240 Vac
Output 110/120 Vac

Thank you in advance for your help!
heartsplash is offline  
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,017
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will need a (grounded schuko) plug adapter for the curling iron and a Europlug adapter for the phone charger.
The hair dryer will not work in Paris and cause trouble like blowing the fuse or worse. Leave the Trisonic at home, it is of no use and illegal to use anyway.
logos999 is offline  
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 338
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing for phone charger; just plug adapter from dollar store. The hair appliances may work with your existing transformer but more likely they'll not work properly or burn out the transformer. The easiest thing is to buy appliances locally (cheap hair dryer should be in 10 euro ballpark)
hkto is offline  
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a cheap hair dryer and curling iron that I use for European trips. I did this after a couple of issues with a dual voltage dryer. Don't forget the plug adaptor. I use one adaptor for Europe and a different one for the U.K.

Almost all hotels, except for the very very cheap ones have a hair dryer. Sometimes I bring mine, but it's not really necessary.
Pegontheroad is offline  
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 35,538
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your curling iron is dual voltage so you don't need a converter with it, but your hair dryer will need the converter. I find that if you operate heated appliances that need a converter on low instead of high they do better.

Even though you don't need a converter with the curling iron, put it on a lower heat setting (most have some type of temp selection).

I would check to see if the hotels have dryers before hauling a dryer and converter around. You might also consider buying a dual voltage travel dryer (not a really compact one as they don't put out enough air) instead of using a converter. I have this one from KMart that is only $12.99. Most dual voltage hair dryers have a little switch you need to select the voltage just below the on/off.
kybourbon is online now  
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies, we are staying in vrbo places in Vienna and Prague so I need a hair dryer, i decided to purchase a european hair dryer to take with me. I have also purchased some adapters for the cell phine and curling iron.
heartsplash is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Aug 28th, 2017 02:24 PM
Jul 22nd, 2011 02:01 PM
May 15th, 2007 04:21 PM
Jun 10th, 2006 05:51 AM
May 8th, 2003 10:35 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:40 AM.