Acceptable Attire in BKK

Aug 21st, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Acceptable Attire in BKK

What is acceptable to wear for a male in the hotel restaurants and clubs? I plan to wear nothing but walking shorts and sandals. Will I be sticking out like a sore thumb? Also, what about tank tops? Should I bring slacks?
Aug 21st, 2004, 12:22 PM

You will be most comfortable in slacks and a nice cotton shirt. Tank tops are for the beach, not for Bangkok. If you really wore nothing but sandals and shorts you certainly would stick out like a sore thumb!
Aug 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM

many of the locals on the street wear nothing more than shorts or slacks, t-shirts or tank tops and skluffs....i do not find that is appropriate for tourists....except maybe in the back packing areas....as far as restaurants are concerned, i think it largely depends on which ones you go to...normal attire would be as kathie describes above...

i find the thais who frequent the clubs are dressed in fabulous clothes, mostly designer....

tank tops and sandles and shorts are not appropriate and will not be tollerated at places like the grand palace and the wats or anything to do with the royal family...
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:04 PM
sandi

It's also very possible that some restaurants and clubs wouldn't allow you in dressed in shorts and sandals. This is especially so for hi-end places. If a simple sidewalk eatery, you might get away with the attire you describe. Bangkok is a city, not the beach. And while very hot the shorts and sandals are tempting and okay at some places. That said though, I have to concur with rhkkmk that shorts and sandals won't get you into the Grand Palace. At the Grand Palace you have to be covered - no shorts or sandals, and shoulders covered (no tank tops).

Aug 21st, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I assumed the weather was going to be hot & humid there so I was going to bring nice looking shorts and cotton shirts. Thanks for the advice, I'll repack.
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:59 PM

everything should be cotton or other natural fibre....sometimes you find that being covered up is actually cooler than not...the a/c can be a bear in some places too so you will freeze, believe it or not...i.e. restaurants...
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:25 PM

I find it strange, because my husband has never worn anything but shorts, t shirts and sandals anywhere we have travelled through Thailand and S.E. Asia, and it was never a problem..I don't think we even put on a pair of pants the whole time we were in BKK...Except the Royal Palace, and 5 minutes after leaving, the shorts were back on...
Aug 21st, 2004, 03:41 PM

Tracy, I can only guess that you and your husband didn't go to any nice restaurants or clubs while you were in Bangkok. Indeed, some hotels (like the Oriental) won't allow anyone in shorts into the lobby.
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM

It seems to me that I would not be going there then..Thailand in dress clothes...yuk!! However, we did go to nice restaurants and stayed in nice hotels (not the Oriental)and did not have any problems with our shorts...
I can't imagine travelling and worrying about a wardrobe...
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:22 PM

My husband wore shorts everywhere also. We stayed & ate at some fabulous places and the only time he'd wear long pants was for dinner or at a royal or religious place. The Shangri-la allows shorts in the lobby! Shorts (the longer variety-not stubbies!) are fine everywhere except the stuffy places you maybe won't want to go. It's so hot you'll expire in long pants in the daytime. My man does not wear tank tops-just short sleeve cotton polos or collared t-shirts. The Thais are pretty relaxed about dress as long as you are clean and don't show too much bum, belly or breast. Have a great time & don't worry. I've worked with them for several years (and the Japanese) and they truly are not as formal as we would think.
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:30 PM

kathie---i think we better keep quiet...we all travel in different circles....??
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM

Squares, circles, triangles, Bob. I guess it depends on one's age also. The younger one is the more relaxed one tends to be, and by that, I mean not allowing others to dictate what one should wear & when. Obviously common sense should be applied!
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:12 PM

Lyndie, it isn't just a matter of common sense, it's also a matter of respect for the customs and sensibilities of the places you visit. Obviously, you have some sensitivty as you said the "only time he'd wear long pants was for dinner or at a royal or religious place." That's exactly what we are referring to. You do need long pants for the Temple of the Emerald Buddha and for nice restaurants.
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM

Kathie
Many travellers from warm climates like where I live have a far more relaxed attitude to clothing than say someone who lives in New York or Paris or Milan. It is the same in Thailand. They have adapted their dress to the climate. Sure, most people would wear long pants to obviously formal places but shorts will take one most other places. It is a fact. One does need to be sensitive when one needs to be, and only then. BTW my husband wore shorts into the Pen lobby and was not asked to leave! The original question was related to restaurants & clubs and most places will never refuse a traveller who is clean & neat. Tracy B's experiences are similar to my own. Seems you and Bob are far more prepared for formalities and formal occasions!
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:06 PM

Kathie-I happen to think your response re Bangkok is way too stuffy-and it has NOTHING to do with being respectful to the culture! Sheesh! There's nothing wrong with men wearing shorts in and around BKK-good lord-it's sweltering there! The only place you need to be covered up and wear pants is the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, and the Palace-a dress code which they force on the farangs, whereas the Thais get to wear whatever the heck they want-I saw Thai women wearing dresses slit up the back and teetering around in 5 inch backless slides-but oh no, not the foreigners-no slides-it's got NOT ONE THING to do with respect!

And although I was not in shorts at the Oriental- I was in capris and flip-flops, I didn't notice anyone particularly dressed up in the lobby-who cares about the Oriental's pretentious dress code anyway, that's one-tired and resting- on- its- reputation hotel. Believe me, the Thais want your farang money more than they care about whether you wear shorts in their lobby or not!

Aug 21st, 2004, 08:16 PM

kathie---i've packed my suitcase full of long pants...i have no room for shorts....can you give me the name of a tailor in bkk from whom i may purchase some shorts...

this has turned senseless....

last time i checked seattle was about as laid back as it gets...i guess you need a trip to nyc or milan to readjust your lifestyle...

i will never go to oz i guess...
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:20 PM

"We all travel in different circles". I don't know why, but I find that funny..Almost like there are upscale tourists and then there are the regular tourists..just like the upper class citizens and the middle class..I just travel with an open mind..Sometimes at 5* hotels, sometimes at 1*...Always dress nice (but not formal) live in a nice home, but would never refer myself to being in a different circle..But getting to the point, I would never suggest to someone that they would stick out wearing sandals and shorts...But what if the sandals were birkenstocks with a designer pair of shorts and polo shirt..Would that do??
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:23 PM

Oh! Dear! Bob! you don't know what you're missing. You'd love Oz. You'd just need to hop into a Billabong Shop & get kitted out! Let us know when you're coming over. We'll take you and the missus to places where shorts equate to being over-dressed! LOL!
You & Kathie just don't like it when others disagree with you-lighten up!
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM

But just one more thing..skapadz..make sure you take your walking shorts and sandals because you will need them..Also bring your slacks and let us know what you wore most when you get back..Have a great time!!
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM

Judging solely from rhkmhk's posts, Lyndie, I'm sure he wouldn't go to Oz-not enough jewelry, silks and other over-kill shopping for him there! (smile)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO