4wk Asia Itinerary - Comments Please!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is our current itinerary for our 4 week trip to Asia (we're first timers to the region). The only thing that it set in stone is the flight to Tokyo and home to NYC from Hong Kong. I know it's a lot, but we want to see a lot of places and dont really want to just spend 1 week each in 4 different places. All of the flights below are Air Asia (we still need info for Tokyo-Seoul-Philippines -- help please on this!!! preliminary research revealed only very expensive flights!). A few questions:

-Is Kuala Lumpur worth it? Are we better off adding those days somewhere else, like 1 to Bali and 1 to Bangkok? I'm curious to go because I hear there is great India food and that the people are very nice and welcoming to tourists. I also like that we can fly from KL to Siem Reap on Air Asia. But, I was looking through a book at the store today and started to feel more inclined to scratch it. Would we rather go somewhere else in Malaysia, or somewhere else entirely?

-We want to go somewhere in the Philippines (my boyfriend is of filipino descent) but don't know where, especially given its the rainy season. We have "connections" in Boracay, but is there anything to do (cultural etc) besides just sitting on the beach. (we are not certified scuba divers). I also thought about Tagbilaran - stay on Panglao Island and visit Bohol Island, but then today I read that the beach on Panglao is "disappointing". Also, should be take a day off the Philippines and add it somewhere else?

-Is Bali worth it? I know a lot of people rave about it, but my boss said its "just another beach" (he suggested Chiang Mai instead).

Thanks in advance, I know you all have great advice to offer!!!!

Sat 1-Aug-09 Depart NYC at 11:10am
Sun 2-Aug-09 Arrive in Tokyo at 1:55pm
Mon 3-Aug-09 Tokyo
Tues 4-Aug-09 Tokyo (day trip to Kamakura and/or Kyoto)
Wed 5-Aug-09 Tokyo
Thurs 6-Aug-09 Fly to Seoul in evening (or Friday?)
Fri 7-Aug-09 Seoul
Sat 8-Aug-09 Seoul
Sun 9-Aug-09 Seoul
Mon 10-Aug-09 Fly to somewhere in Philippines (Tagbilaran?) - must fly through Manila?
Tues 11-Aug-09 Philippines
Wed 12-Aug-09 Philippines
Thurs 13-Aug-09 Philippines
Fri 14-Aug-09 Fly to Manila
Sat 15-Aug-09 Depart Manila at 11:45am, Arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 3:40pm
Sun 16-Aug-09 Kuala Lumpur
Mon 17-Aug-09 Depart Kuala Lumpur at 7:20pm, Arrive in Bali approx 10:30pm
Tues 18-Aug-09 Bali
Wed 19-Aug-09 Bali
Thurs 20-Aug-09 Depart Bali at 8:35pm, Arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 11:25pm
Fri 21-Aug-09 Depart Kuala Lumpur at 7:00am, Arrive in Siem Reap at 8:00am
Sat 22-Aug-09 Siem Reap
Sun 23-Aug-09 Depart Siem Reap at 9:45am, Arrive in Bangkok at 10:50am
Mon 24-Aug-09 Bangkok
Tues 25-Aug-09 Bangkok
Wed 26-Aug-09 Depark Bangkok at 4:30pm, Arrive in Hong Kong at 8:15pm
Thurs 27-Aug-09 Hong Kong
Fri 28-Aug-09 Hong Kong
Sat 29-Aug-09 Hong Kong
Sun 30-Aug-09 Depart Hong Kong at 10:25am, Arrive in NYC at 2pm
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Well, to each his/her own. Bali isn't a place to go for beach. Yes it has beaches and they are ok, but nothing special. The reason to go to Bali is to experience its unique culture, which is very accessible to the visitor. That said, don't stay at Nusa Dua - an entirely sterile beach resort. For a short stay, you'll want to stay in the Ubud area, overlooking river valleys and rice terraces. For me, Chiang Mai is boring. But some people love it. There is no accounting for taste.

Ok, on to your itinerary. Yes, you are trying to do waaaay to much. Remember that it will take much of a day to get from one place to another. Yes, some flights will be direct, but many will not. And if you are connecting on Air Asia, they will not transfer your luggage. You must pick up your luggage (go through customs and immigration if it was an international flight) re-check your luggage and go back through immigration and on to your flight. Even with a direct flight, consider your time from check out of one hotel to check in to another. So typically, if you have 3 nights in a place, you'll have a mere two days to explore. As you can see, the more places you visit, the more time you'll spend hanging around airports.

It takes three full days just to visit the major temples at Angkor. If you aren't interested enough to spend three full days there, I'd recommend you skip it. It's an expensive trip for one day of temples. You'll have no sense of the place at all from one day.

You have a mere two days in Bali - not nearly enough to have any sense of that culture. And two days in Bangkok, you won't even scratch the surface.

For sure cut Kuala Lumpur, but don't substitute something else.

I'd suggest you start by backing up and thinking about what you want from this trip. What do you want to do/see/experience? Then prioritize. Next figure out logistics, that may cause to to cut a place that's a high priority but impractical in terms of logistics.

By the way, your flights from Tokyo-Seoul-Philippines will be quite expensive.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Ubud has become too commercialized in the past twenty years.
It is just an area selling wood carvings, stone carvings & silver stuffs to tourists in Bali.
I love to stay in Nusa Dua where the top hotels locate and go to Kuta for shopping and dinner.
Malaysians are friendly.
Malay, Indians & Chinese live together harmoniously.
Kuala Lumpur is worth to visit, checking out the shopping malls on Jalan Bukit Bintang, Petrona twins & TV tower.
Do some bargain shoppings in Chinatown, Jalan Petaling before saying "salamat jalan".
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Candi Dasa in Bali has a lovely beach of course, and some nice snorkelling as well. However there is much more to Bali than this. Go to Bali for the art, the culture, the temples etc. It is a beautiful country.

Unless you are a temple fanatic, two days to see the temples at Angkow Wat is enough. Unfortunately you can only get a 1 or a 3 day pass. If you get the one day pass in the late afternoon, you can see the sunset over the temples and then visit early and spend the whole second day there. This is what i would do.

I agree that you are trying to do too much. Travelling in Asia is slow, and what will you do if some flights are late. Air Asia is frequently late. I would prune your itinerary considerably.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Flights out of Japan jump in price on August 1 and again around the 8th and 15th. It is peak pricing, and one way tickets are typically full fare as discount fares almost always require a round trip. No discount airlines fly to anywhere in Asia from Japan. Discount travel agents sometimes have cheap one ways, but I doubt you'll find aything for August, plus you need to be in Japan to purchase from the agents...some take credit cards, but many only cash. The cheapest one way to Seoul on Aug 6 is ¥37,900 before tax and surcharge on Asiana through an agent called Flex International, no credit cards accepted. I found it via a Japanese language site that searches discount agency prices www.tour.ne.jp. In my experience, you won't beat that.

As far as the rest of your itinerary goes, understand that you will be seeing a lot of airports and spending a lot of time in transit as opposed to seeing or doing anything. The very short stays in Siem Reap and Bali are hardly worth the trouble to get there...I know that a stay that short in those places would just frustrate me as both places are so great.

You would save a lot of time and money by eliminating the one way from Tokyo to Seoul then Phillipines and instead, booking your int'll ticket to include a stopover in Tokyo than continue on to your next destination. If that is impossible, you will have to accept the high price of getting out of Japan in August.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM

lm, The "sampler" approach is okay if you want to taste a lot of different cultures. The first time I took my husband to Asia we followed an "if it's Tuesday it must be Singapore" itinerary; it was exhausting, but exhilarating.

I would definitely cut KL. I would also consider skipping Seoul (unless you have a personal reason for going there) and spreading the days among your other destinations. As Kathie says travel itself can eat up a lot of time.

Boracay is just a beach but it is a very fine beach.

You hardly need to add another destination, but you might consider using Singapore as a hub for your travels in Southeast Asia.

I think you've received a lot of misinformation about Bali. It's not "just another beach" and the beaches in Candi Dasa are not lovely by any stretch of the imagination. Personally I like the beaches in Bali, especially the Seminyak area which is good for shopping, restaurants etc.

But, for sure the real culture is in the Ubud area. The culture runs deep there and you need to slow down to soak it in.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM

I don't understand why you set out this itinerary -- is this just East Asian Capitals Tour substituting HK for Beijing? If so, where's Ulan Bataar and Hanoi?

Why Seoul? Go to Kyoto.

Why KL? Take more time in Angkor.

Why Philippines when you could move everything before HK up and see something else in China (or will you not be able to get a Visa?).

The way you've set this up, you're going to just think every place you're going to is yet another megalopolis without experiencing anything other than cities with 10M+ people.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM

On re-check, I see why Philippines, but still think you can cut elsewhere and see more of another country.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Ok, we have revised our plan and cut out Bali and Kuala Lumpur, to be visited another time. First, I'd like to clarify a few things:
-Our flights to Tokyo and home to NYC from Hong Kong are booked.
-We are going to Tokyo and Seoul to visit friends. We are going to Seoul on the weekend because that is when our friends dont have to go to work.
-We are going to the Philippines because my boyfriend has always wanted to go; his grandfather was born there.

So, here we go... Thanks!

Sat 1-Aug-09 Depart NYC at 11:10am
Sun 2-Aug-09 Arrive in Tokyo at 1:55pm
Mon 3-Aug-09
Tues 4-Aug-09
Wed 5-Aug-09
Thurs 6-Aug-09
Fri 7-Aug-09
Sat 8-Aug-09 Fly to Seoul in AM
Sun 9-Aug-09
Mon 10-Aug-09
Tues 11-Aug-09
Wed 12-Aug-09 Arrive in Bangkok
Thurs 13-Aug-09
Fri 14-Aug-09
Sat 15-Aug-09
Sun 16-Aug-09 Fly to Siem Reap
Mon 17-Aug-09
Tues 18-Aug-09
Wed 19-Aug-09 Fly to Manila, Philippines
Thurs 20-Aug-09
Fri 21-Aug-09
Sat 22-Aug-09 Fly to Boracay, Philippines
Sun 23-Aug-09
Mon 24-Aug-09
Tues 25-Aug-09
Wed 26-Aug-09 Fly to Hong Kong in PM
Thurs 27-Aug-09
Fri 28-Aug-09
Sat 29-Aug-09
Sun 30-Aug-09 Depart Hong Kong at 10:25am, Arrive in NYC at 2pm
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM

much much better....you might like one additional day in siem reap
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM

No question, this is a better itinerary. The one place I'd add time is Siem Reap. Do some research ahead of time and see whether you'll want/need more time there. The best book on the temples is Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor. Get the 2006 edition. You are also welcome to take a look at our photos at www.marlandc.com We spent a week there and could have used more time. See what you think.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Regarding the Philippines portion of your itinerary, are you set on wanting to visit an island beach resort? It sounds like you're more interested in something cultural.

I haven't been to Bohol but I know a couple of people who have and from what I understand, it's a nature-lovers place. You can see the endangered tarsiers, the Chocolate Hills and take a Loboc river cruise.

Have you considered Palawan? Its beaches are supposed to be gorgeous and there's also the Underground River which is a Unesco protected World Heritage Site and is a contender for the New Seven Wonders of the World.

What about exploring Luzon more in depth and visiting the Banaue Rice Terraces or Taal volcano?
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

We're not necessarily set on going to a beach resort in the Philippines. We picked it because we thought it would be nice and relaxing for the end of our trip, and also because my dad was just there in January for a medical mission and loved it (and has friends who can easily help us plan). I actually do really want to make it to Banaue some time, but I hear it's difficult to get to so I was going to leave it for a future trip. Plus, I know that August is rainy season and was worried it would be difficult to get there (like roads flooding). Do we have time for Banaue? Can you give me more info on getting there, etc. We are planning on taking a day trips from Manila to Taal Volcano and/or Corregidor Island (depending on how many days we spend in Manila).
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM

If you're already doing some other day trips while in Manila, maybe you should hold off on Banaue for another visit when you have more time and can combine it with some other places in the area and/or on the way ... we did Baguio along the way (sorry I don't have more info for you on logistics as it was a long time ago that we went there and had relatives driving us around).