3 days in one vietnam city-which one

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope Andy doesn't see me inquiring about the next trip before my trip report is finished on the one I just returned from....

I have not been to Vietnam. On the next trip to Cambodia I will be able to go somewhere for 3-4 days before returning home. I want to go somewhere where the food is great and it's atmospheric/romantic. Historic sites/museums are a plus, but not necessary. I'm sure I'll be back many times. Just want to dip one toe in on this trip.

Where would you go and why?

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hanoi- lovely old french colonial architecture with tree lined streets, great asian fusion restaurants as well as local restaurants, great shopping.
Direct flight from/to Siem Reap.
HCMC is big and modern....a mini BKK.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM

That is a hard one, but I think if I could only go to one place with atmoshere/romance - I would pick Hoi An. Fly in to Danang. Nice beaches, amazing meals for two for $10.00. I dream about them. Good shopping and good for having clothes made if you like that. Good place to bicycle and take boat rides. It does have tourists - of course - but the citizens are in a time warp. A couple times a week they have no traffic times and light everything up by hanging lanterns.

One of our favorite things to watch (we did it several times) was the loading of the "ferry". Kind of a two deck barge. It stops for just minutes and about 200 people with fish, farm animals, bikes, food carts - you name it JUMP on and off it goes. It was too funny.

Very interesting and many small museums, taking less than 1/2 hour each. They have a bunch of old merchant homes you can tour and speak with the families who own them. My Son ruins are a 1/2 day trip. When we decided to stay there, we extended our stay by the recommendation - you go to Hoi An to soak up the atmosphere. We did indeed!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:02 PM

I would vote for Hanoi. It is really a charming city with great food and fascinating things to do and see.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

These are good tips as always. I was already leaning toward Hanoi just because of proximity.

Which airlines do I check to fly from Siem Reap to Hanoi and then back to Bangkok?
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM

Earlier this month (and a lifetime ago) we flew Vietnam Airlines between Hanoi and Siem Reap. Very nice flight, under 2 hours, Airbus 320.

I believe that there are less expensive options though.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 02:23 PM

Between Siem Reap and Hanoi, I believe the only option is VN Airlines. From Hanoi to Bangkok, you have many options, including VN Air, Thai, Air France, Lufthansa and one of the budget airlines flies this route, but I don't know which one.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM

I would definately choose Hanoi. It's a lovely, walkable city that's easy to find your way around. Great historic sites to see, excellent restaurants and good shopping. I've been there twice and would love to go again.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:34 PM

Siemriep to Hanoi: vietnam airlines
Hanoi to Bangkok: asia air for save money
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:37 PM

hanoi or go to yangon in myanmar
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:14 PM

Can you say more about why yangon is a contender?
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:48 PM

Hoi An. You can visit a city in any country, but Hoi An is a special place that shouldn't be missed on a visit to VN.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 05:06 AM

Lori, I can't comment on other cities because I haven't been there, but we LOVED Hanoi... it's charming atmosphere really won us over - it was probably our favorite part of our mini-tour of Asia...

Plus, the street/local food is AMAZING! Granted, I'm sure it would be in other cities too, but I have no experience with it...

Ken
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ken

I think Hanoi is the winner here. Just trying to figure out now how to best do the BKK-SR-Hanoi triangle.

Such a sucker for some good street grub...
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM

Yeah, I've had a longing for really good street food fora while now... if you do head to Hanoi, I highly recommend the little Pho Bo shop I mentioned in my trip report (do a search for Honeymoon in SE Asia trip report) - it was fantastic - we had Pho Bo for breakfast 3 days in a row there... Also, I wouldn't miss finding a place for Bun Cha - which I've been craving ever since the day after I had it!!! On our last day, we actually walked around for over an hour looking for the place, but finally gave up since we had to go pack and make our plane... and the worst part is that Bun Cha is virtually non-existent in NY... sure you can get Pho Bo, or a basic facsimile at the very least... but Bun Cha?? Forget it... and the one place I found that did have it considered some 1/4" thick piece of dried out pork chop on a bed of noodles Bun Cha... I don't think so....

Anyway, whatever you do, have fun!

Ken
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM

Hanoi vs Hoi An. We love both!
I vote for Hanoi.

But for the short time of three days and the logistics of flights, it seems more convenient to go to Hanoi. The Old Quarter with the walking streets, the museums, shopping, food. Check out the Ipa Nima store in Hanoi.

I see you have already chosen Hanoi.
Good choice!

Perhaps on another trip you can tour the entire length of Vietnam and include Hoi An.

It's a wonderful country.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure we will go to VN again. So many places to see....
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 04:23 AM

I just booked a ticket on Air Asia from BKK to Hanoi for $100.00. It is less than a 2 hour flight. I'm an American teacher working in Thailand and I've used Air Asia many times. They are a good low-cost airline. www.airasia.com.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. I just heard from Eddie and my flights from BKK-HANOI-SIEM REAP-BKK are $575.00. Seems a little steep.

Is Air Asia reliable?
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM

They are reliable. $575 is too much. Book online with Air Asia and save some $$!