Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

2-week Japan/China itinerary for first-time visitor

Dec 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a 2-week trip to Japan and China in mid-April. I will be flying to Japan from NYC and out of China. I would like to visit Tokyo, Kyoto, Beijing and Hong Kong and have 2 weeks (total) to do so. A few questions:

1. How do you recommend I allocate my time?

2. How should I travel among these destinations? I would like to take the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto. Should I fly out of Kyoto to Beijing/HK or should I take the bullet train back to Tokyo and then fly from Tokyo to Beijing/HK?

3. What should be my first stop in China if I'm travelling from Tokyo/Kyoto, Beijing or HK? I will be flying out of my second stop back to the U.S.

Many thanks for your input.
Dec 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM

1. About 2-3 days in Tokyo, Kyoto and HK each. 4-5 in Beijing.

2. You don't want to fly out of Narita to Beijing/HK. Kansai near Osaka (KIX) is most convenient, or Chubu/Nagoya (NGO). If not, Tokyo Haneda (HND) which now have flights to HKG.

3. I'd base on whether to do Beijing or HK first on airfare between Japan and either PEK or HKG. Japan-China (not including Hong Kong) are notoriously expensive. If you have miles, you may want to do that. Otherwise, you may find a better fare from Japan to HKG than to PEK, despite the longer distance.
Dec 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM

A lot will depend on fare rules for ticketing. It is possible in terms of flights to from origin to NRT then land to KIX to PEK to HKG to origin. The question is whether there is a fare or combination of fares that does this for a price you are happy with. Preliminary research could be started at www,kayak.com

Time-wise, I think two weeks for four cities is tight, especially if travel days are included in the two weeks. You might consider choosing one country and seeing a bit beyond major cities, or cut your stops to three. You will lose 2 days getting to japan from the US (one traveling and one to the dateline). You will spend half a day getting from Tokyo to Kyoto, a day getting to Beijing (unless you get a night flight), at least half a day getting to Hong Kong, and a day getting home. That's five fool days lost to travel out of 14. If your flights have multiple connections and/or midday departures you are looking at even more time wasted.

Assume you have nine days then to see things... Three places max as thee is so much to see and do in each place you mention.